MS State brackets

AJ

I don't mind the vertical pairing but the pools I have to disagree with. At 75, the top pool is loaded and there is no doubt that they will knock each other out. It is not a true and accurate picture of a weight class like "line bracketing" would have been...unless I am mistaken and the kids will wrestle between the two pools? If not, that's a shame.

Why pool it?

So how are they going to do this?  Is the first place out of each pool going to wrestle for 1st and 2nd and the the 2nd places out of each get to wrestle for 3rd and 4th?  When you are talking about kids making a team you need to have a true second.  If 1 and 2 are both in the same pool and #2 gets 3rd will he get to wrestle for his spot on the team?  I see it coming now.

I understand your point, Brandi...I just cannot believe that they would POOL this thing? You are taking wrestlers that deserve the chance to be in the placings OUT of the mix. It doesn't make sense. I understand the blind draw and the vertical pairing...but whenever you pool a bracket like this it is clearly unfair to the kids.

e.g. at 75: You have 6 state champs/runner-ups beating each other up and knocking each other OUT in the top pool. In the bottom pool you have 2 state champs; one will cruise to the finals barely breaking a sweat.  Does this process deliver the TOP 6 kids in each bracket? NO.

Again, why pool it?

Oh well, lets wrestle! Everyone likes a challenge, right? See you there!

not to mention if you end up in a round robin you could have beat the kid that ends up with first, but he had a walk and ended up with more pins ( thus more points), so you settle for wrestling for 3rd or 4th when you were #1 in the bracket.  This is just going to water down the team.  Being a 6th grader we don't have much hope of making the team we just want the mat time, but for those 8th graders, this is there last chance at the team.  I would hate to see it end this way for some of them.  I saw one bracket that ( imo) out of the top 6 kids 5 are in the same half.

In my opinion, remember before someone gets mad at me, JUST MY OPINION!!! The Top 6 out of 8 kids in 95 is in the Top Bracket. But you wrestle who is drawn so it is time to step up and face the challenge! Good luck everyone.

We decided to register and hope for that Great Draw, it didnt happen ;D So we will go and do our best.

In my opinion, remember before someone gets mad at me, JUST MY OPINION!!! The Top 6 out of 8 kids in 95 is in the Top Bracket. But you wrestle who is drawn so it is time to step up and face the challenge! Good luck everyone.

We decided to register and hope for that Great Draw, it didnt happen ;D So we will go and do our best.

Obviously some of the parents with concerns do not have high school kids that wrestle.  Welcome to the sport of wrestling!  As your kids move into high school, you will have these same concerns when you start analyzing regional and semi-state tournaments.  If you look on the high school discussion board, there are wrestling fans having similar discussions; i.e.  north is stronger than south, this region is weaker, that semi-state has a bunny walk, we need class wrestling, etc.  If you didn't pool 25+ kids, you would be at the tournament a very long time.  USA pairing guidelines state that when you get over 22 wrestlers in a weight class you must pool the bracket.  Pooling the brackets is a normal occurrance at the national level.  Who knew over 500 kids were going to register.  Talk on the board was that the tournament would be lucky to draw 300.  As wrestler60160 says:  It is time to step up and face the challenge!  Good luck to everyone.

Here is the problem I have .

I have never seen a vertically paired tournament run efficiently with more than 10 in a bracket.

Why was this tournament not line bracketed ? I dont think I have seen a highschool folkstyle tournament vertically bracketed ?

I am sure the hosts of this tournament have more pairing experience than me but we have donated to a few.

Line bracketing allows for the best chance for the best two wrestlers to win. Even if one and two hit quickly. Number two can wrestle back and that is what a team qualifier is really all about. !st and 2nd place.

I hope for the best with this tournament for many reasons but I would really like to see mat side pairings so the wrestlers can stay at the same mat all day, which makes it easier for coaches and parents to follow their wrestlers.

It should be a very long day especially for everyone going to semi state. Remember to drink lots of fluids and thank the officials.

Tom Cash

ItalianMom:

Yes, that's it...obviously we have no experience with wrestling and high school wrestling!

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess the past 25 years of coaching and wrestling in both h.s. and college have been a mirage.

In case someone didn't inform you, this is not FREESTYLE. Your statement of "Who knew over 500 kids would register?" Did you happen to look at the number of kids last year? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

You are correct though, lets just wrestle...and move on. Criticism is part of our sport; that's what a forum is all about. When people pay money, they earn the right to complain otherwise have a FREE tournament.

I don't recall seeing seeing split brackets at Freestyle state last year when they exceeded 22 wrestlers.

I just want to know why vertical pairing is being used for a folkstyle tournament.  I remember seeing on this board somewhere that there would be challenge for true second matches. How will that happen?  I don't see mine even being in the top 4, but I  want to understand the plan anyway. 

They were pulling the  registrations periodically and didnt wait until the end for the updated registrations so kids who had changed weight classes were not put in the correct weight class.  ::) ::) ::)

I.H.S.W.C.A.

Middle School State Finals

Registration & Weigh-in

Procedure

2.  When the wrestler registers they must declare the weight class they will

be wrestling in the tournament.  This is the weight class they must make

on Sunday February 15 at the Middle School State.  If they do not make

this weight class they will not wrestle in the tournament and there will be

no refund.  No one will be moved up a weight class if they fail to make

weight.

Middle School State

Weigh-in & Registration

FAQ

Why are we doing it this way?

We are registering, and weighing in, in this manner to expedite the process and make things as fair as possible to the most people.  We did not have many qualified volunteers for satellite weigh-in sites, and many wrestlers had conflicts with Middle School matches.  By doing it this way we will accomplish several things.

1.  Make sure everyone that wants to wrestle gets the chance.

2.  Have less mistakes to deal with because of poorly filled out, or

missing, FAX documents.

3. Control excessive weight cutting.  If someone wishes to cut a

bunch of weight for the tournament they can still do so, but they

will not have almost three days to put it all back on.

Can I move up a weight class once I am registered?

NO.  You must register in the weight class you wish to wrestle.  If you want to wrestle in the 100 pound weight class you need to register  for that weight class

The brackets were made more than 24 hours after registation closed, starting from HWT working up. The change to the bracket happened 24 hours after that, allowing a wrestler to move up in weight after registering which the rules said you (a wrestler) could not do.

I don't recall seeing seeing split brackets at Freestyle state last year when they exceeded 22 wrestlers.

I just want to know why vertical pairing is being used for a folkstyle tournament.  I remember seeing on this board somewhere that there would be challenge for true second matches. How will that happen?  I don't see mine even being in the top 4, but I  want to understand the plan anyway.   

The tournament director decided to use vertical pairings with pools for this tournament.  I believe that just like at the Elementary Qualifier where two weight classes used pools, once the pools meet together, the 3rd place wrestler will be able to wrestle the 2nd place wrestler if they haven't wrestled yet.

Hey now dont kill the messenger......lol. I had to email someone with an issue I had and that is what I was told. All I know is the tournament hasnt even started and things are jacked up........I am planning on being there ALL day tomorrow because I dont see how things will go smoothly. Oh well, time will tell. Good luck tomorrow to everyone!

No one was allowed to register late.  The reason the tournament seemed to grow after the deadline was because until the people are pulled from the pre-registration area  they do not show up on the list of participants .  Also, there were a few people who registered and paid with their credit card and their card did not clear until sometime Friday so they did not show up until they were paid.

If anyone would like to come to me tomorrow (I mean today) and question my integrity, or the integrity of any of the people running the tournament please do so....don't hide behind a computer or a user name.

You may question my sanity, or my ability to run a tournament, but if you want to question  my integrity, or more importantly the integrity of people who have no reaosn to be at the tournament other than because they care about wrestling and kids, then I take exception.....and shame on you.

Rex Peckinpaugh

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.