keeping our state champs in indiana

titan155

looking at posted college signings and wondered why alot of guys opt to go out of state after winning IHSAA state title.  from group listed purdue did a nice job of getting in-state signees.  currently escobedo, corpe, kasten and others have stayed around but percentage wise do the champion kids hang around?  spoke to goldman [iu] about this topic when howe signed with wisconson.  i realize the factors of indiana and purdue being the only D1 schools in state but trine, wabash, rose-hulman, manchester, and indianapolis are great schools.  tsirtsis, howe, lawrence, i wish all the best but would loved a boiler or hoosier singlet on them.

six staying and six leaving.

* denotes past IHSAA state champion

Kyle Mosier Yorktown Purdue 157

Jordan Dulaney Yorktown Wabash 149

Briar Runyan Martinsville West Point Academy 157/165

Drew Graber Northridge Cleveland State 174/184

*Cashe Quiroga Lawrence North Purdue 125/133

*Steven Sandefer Mishawaka Indianapolis 141

Marcus Shrewsbury Crown Point Northwestern 197

*Josh Harper Mishawaka Michigan State 133

*Camden Eppert Anderson Highland Purdue 125

Daniel Young Culver Academies West Point Academy 149

Kyle Mays Northridge Cleveland State 149/157

Alex White Mount Vernon Purdue 285

regardless of state champ or not...i noticed something that "oscar" posted on the college forum...it was about augsburg vs. wartburg...two d3 powerhouses...potential college wrestlers need to watch that video...these are two d3 programs that could hang with many of top d1 teams and therefore beat many d1 teams...example delaware valley ranked 3rd in d3...their record against d1 schools this year is 3 wins to 0 losses...yes, it was davidson, delaware state, and east stroudsburg, but still nonetheless these are d1 schools...

many wrestlers that go on to college and "wrestle" d1 are not getting much d1 mat time, unless it is at opens ... some kids go to wrestle d1 and never get the time to wrestle like they could possibly get at a d2 or d3 school...Why are kid choosing to go d1 ? notoriety? rather than go to a school that makes sense for them...

first of all wrestlers need to go to schools for the right reasons...they are STUDENTS first...wrestling is not a right it is a privilege...i just hope that more kids realize what they are  going to school for...that being said..GOOD LUCK  to all of the wrestlers moving on to the next level!!!

regardless of state champ or not...i noticed something that "oscar" posted on the college forum...it was about augsburg vs. wartburg...two d3 powerhouses...potential college wrestlers need to watch that video...these are two d3 programs that could hang with many of top d1 teams and therefore beat many d1 teams...example delaware valley ranked 3rd in d3...their record against d1 schools this year is 3 wins to 0 losses...yes, it was davidson, delaware state, and east stroudsburg, but still nonetheless these are d1 schools...

many wrestlers that go on to college and "wrestle" d1 are not getting much d1 mat time, unless it is at opens ... some kids go to wrestle d1 and never get the time to wrestle like they could possibly get at a d2 or d3 school...Why are kid choosing to go d1 ? notoriety? rather than go to a school that makes sense for them...

first of all wrestlers need to go to schools for the right reasons...they are STUDENTS first...wrestling is not a right it is a privilege...i just hope that more kids realize what they are  going to school for...that being said..GOOD LUCK  to all of the wrestlers moving on to the next level!!!

Nick you sound like a very bright young man. I hope some of the boys are reading this and taking notice. Wrestling D I has become more of a status symbol and many wrestlers are being drawn to DI schools under the illusion they will be the varsity guy in a couple of years and of course it often times does not happen. You are right on target with education should be your first consideration. Injury and burnout due to the gruelling and brutal style of wrestling at any college level often ends your wrestling career before your education is complete. I also urge young wrestlers to view the D III video on Wresling 411.com(Wartburg vs Augsburg)

I went to Manchester, a D3 with both great wrestling and top notch academics. What you guys is saying is right on. We would always, half jokingly, say that D1 was for people who wanted the money now and D3 was for people who wanted the academics so they could make the money for the rest of their career. There are great opportunities in all divisions, academics should be priority 1, and if a D1 school is willing to help pay and you wouldn't be able to otherwise, then that's great for those men.

it is great, but i know many instances where a program may say to a kid..."we'll give you a partial" ...sometimes that partial is just paying for books or maybe a dorm...a wrestler could still pick the school of his choice and pay nearly the same (fafsa, grants, and other scholarship opportunities)  School is supposed to pay for itself...in a way...no matter which school a student attends, he or she will be in debt(most instances)  NOTE: if you are a d1 wrestler and have the opportunities and the school fits you, then go for it!!!  i am not knocking wrestling at any level!            my main point is that it is VERY hard to get a half/full d1 scholarship...if u are getting those opportunities then fantastic, but if u are going to a d1 program with little scholarship money, it may be worth your while to look at some other schools

And (as a recent grad and a teacher now) the best bet is to focus on doing well in high school too so college really does pay for itself. I managed to get the majority of my college paid for and be an NCAA athlete. Purdue and IU weren't interested in giving me much money and I wouldn't have gotten to be involved in athletics, or get the quality of education. Excellent points nkraus, I hope high school guys are reading this and take it to heart.

IU for some reason didn't start recruiting Howe early enough.  Other schools had made more effort and expressed more interest by the time IU got their heads out of their butts.

Didn't Donnie Pritzlaff working with Howe at Team Overtime have a lot to do with him going to Wisconsin.

Nice topic. Academics should always be the top priority unless of course, being an olympian or being part of the sport in some other area is your goal, then maybe a focus on the coach should be a consideration. All that being said, I know a few kids on a couple of D1 teams, in the Big Ten, who have no wrestling aspirations after college, if they went for the money? Surprisingly, to a man, each one explained that if they were going to wrestle in college, then they'd prefer to wrestle against the best competition, gauge themselves against the best competition. Kind of says something about the class wrestling argument here in the homeland. Cheers, DH

I went to Manchester, a D3 with both great wrestling and top notch academics. What you guys is saying is right on. We would always, half jokingly, say that D1 was for people who wanted the money now and D3 was for people who wanted the academics so they could make the money for the rest of their career. There are great opportunities in all divisions, academics should be priority 1, and if a D1 school is willing to help pay and you wouldn't be able to otherwise, then that's great for those men.

;D  Sorry, couldn't resist.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this conversation. 

I have a son who is a Freshman wrestling at Coe and I have been extremely impressed with the caliber of wrestling at the DIII and NAIA levels.  Coe, ranked 4th, takes on DI programs like Iowa during their season.  I have spent time in several DI rooms during practice and at Coe's and I have not seen a difference in the intensity of the way they train or wrestle.  Now granted Coe does sits in the middle of Iowa (as does Wartburg) so the level of attention and number of people devoted to wrestling is just amazing.  My son's coach is an ex-Iowa All-American coached by Gable and he trains these guys hard. Many of these kids could make it easily in some DI programs, but elect to be a student-athlete vs athlete-student.  This does not mean that many DI wrestlers don't get great educations.

The great part of it all is that these kids (young men) really love wrestling and are keeping it alive at all levels (DI, II, III and NAIA). 

As for scholarships - if the wrestler has decent grades, there is plenty of money out there in the DIII and NAIA schools in terms of academic, merit and leadrship scholarships.  It might be worth checking into a new trend like like Wisconsin have recently passed legislation to let Indiana residents go to school at in-state rates.  This can make going to a State U even more affordable.

But as this thread started out - it would be great to keep our best talent in IN!

Obviously checking over a post is not my strong point...

;D  Sorry, couldn't resist.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.