Moving up an age group

Signal34

Cadet age division wrestlers who are in high school may move up to the Junior age division.  Senior age division wrestlers CANNOT move up to Veteran.  However, persons qualified for the Veteran age division may move down to the Senior age division.  Pee-Wee, Bantam, Intermediate, Novice and Schoolboy wrestlers CANNOT move up an age division.

These are sanctioned Rules & Regulations that must be adhered to.

I know I enjoyed seeing you this weekend at Franklin. I was going to introduce myself but was to afraid to. :-[ :-[ :-[ LOL

Didn't mean to be so scary, I'll try not to be so intemidating next time. ;)

I always thought you were a pretty scrary guy Jim.

I know I enjoyed seeing you this weekend at Franklin. I was going to introduce myself but was to afraid to. :-[ :-[ :-[ LOL

Didn't mean to be so scary, I'll try not to be so intemidating next time. ;)

LOL It's ok most of the time I thought about it you were busy  ;D ( I wasn't trying to be mean btw  ;) )

Pee-Wee, Bantam, Intermediate, Novice and Schoolboy wrestlers CANNOT move up an age division.

These are sanctioned Rules & Regulations that must be adhered to.

So how are they sanctioning Elementary duals?

Sanctioning simply refers to the authorization of an event to be held in approval of a governing body.  The established age groups are governed by USA Wrestling for which the ISWA is the state sanctioning body; therefor, any wrestler competing in an ISWA event must have a USA Wrestling Competitors Card.  When age groups are used for events, the regulations as stated by USA Wrestling pertaining to elegibility are to be followed.  A few years ago the ISWA began sanctioning Elementary Duals to provide additional opportunities for wrestlers and clubs.  For this purpose Elementary is the sanctioned age group, much the same as Middle School is a sanctioned age group for their respective events.

Only in Greco and Freestyle is it  required in the rule book about only wrestling in your age division. In folkstyle rule it is not. This issue was brought up last year in a tournament and because of it not being stated in the rule book it has to be allowed.  As of now it still hasnt been changed or addressed.

On page 35 of the ISWA publication, ISWA Tournament Rules, Regulations and Modifications and on www.iswa.com, under Rules and Regulations  it states the following:

5. Pee-Wee, Bantam, Intermediate, Novice and Schoolboy wrestlers CANNOT move up an age division. Cadet age division wrestlers who are in high school may move up to the Junior age division. Senior age division wrestlers CANNOT move up to Veteran. However, persons qualified for the Veteran age division may move down to the Senior age division. This rule applies to all tournaments...not just folkstyle. This recomendation is from the USA Wrestling Sports Science Committee. If an injury were to occur, failure to comply puts your liability insurance coverage at risk. This rule has always been in effect and was made in the interest of safety.

here we go again....

The fact of the matter is, we(the state of Indiana)are the only state in the Midwest that doesn?t allow second year age group kids to wrestle up in age. In my conversations with surrounding states(Ill.,Mich.,Ohio,IA.,Wis.,OK.)they all agree that going up in age is one of their most vital developmental tools. None that I have spoken to can recall any issues that have come from wrestling up in age.

The ISWA is currently sanctioning events that not only allow wrestling up in age but promote it, i.e. elementary duels, elementary qualifiers. Not to mention Middle School wrestling.  I saw many matches at the qualifier and at the National Duels where 2nd graders where wrestling 5th graders, what a great development opportunity for the younger kids. We need to be affording that same development opportunity to any wrestler that's ready for that challenge.

Why hold them back when it's already being done??

here we go again....

The fact of the matter is, we(the state of Indiana)are the only state in the Midwest that doesn?t allow second year age group kids to wrestle up in age. In my conversations with surrounding states(Ill.,Mich.,Ohio,IA.,Wis.,OK.)they all agree that going up in age is one of their most vital developmental tools. None that I have spoken to can recall any issues that have come from wrestling up in age.

The ISWA is currently sanctioning events that not only allow wrestling up in age but promote it, i.e. elementary duels, elementary qualifiers. Not to mention Middle School wrestling.  I saw many matches at the qualifier and at the National Duels where 2nd graders where wrestling 5th graders, what a great development opportunity for the younger kids. We need to be affording that same development opportunity to any wrestler that's ready for that challenge.

If other states are allowing freestyle and greco matches between kids that are not in the same age group, except for the cadet rule, then they are doing so with the possibility of losing their sanctioning and insurance that is being carried by USA Wrestling. It is against the rules, and knowing several of the people on the board, they will not ever go along with it just because it is what other states are doing. Now if they are running these tournaments under a different sanctioning body those rules may be different.

This issue has come up many times so a couple years ago the ISWA went directly to USA Wrestling for a definative answer.  USA Wrestling's reply was that there are states who let wrestlers move up an age division. They explained that in many states the tournaments are small and there is a need to create matches. When the ISWA asked the direct question: "Will it jeopardize the tournament's insurance coverage if a law suit results from allowing a wrestler to move up an age division?" The response from USA Wrestling was as follows: The rule in place is that Bantam through Schoolboy/girl wrestlers may not move up an age division.

here we go again....

If other states are allowing freestyle and greco matches between kids that are not in the same age group, except for the cadet rule, then they are doing so with the possibility of losing their sanctioning and insurance that is being carried by USA Wrestling. It is against the rules, and knowing several of the people on the board, they will not ever go along with it just because it is what other states are doing. Now if they are running these tournaments under a different sanctioning body those rules may be different.

The rule wouldn't be changed to simply follow what others are doing. It is a rule, but the evolution of many sports, wrestling included, at times dictates rule changes in order to move forward as a community and as an organization. The change would be made in the interest of development, the top wrestling states are allowing it for a reason. Many who have been involved in the Indiana wrestling community for years and have wrestled or coached at the NCAA level are surprised when hear that wrestling up isn't allowed.

We will respect and abide by the ISWA rule, weather we agree with it or not. We will also make the short hike over to Ill. and take advantage of the fact that they do allow wrestling up in age at every opportunity. It's not rocket science nor is it a secret that it's a vital developmental tool for our kids, weather we decide to take advantage of it is another story. 

PREEEECH MCKAJC PREEEECH, MY SONS DO NOT BENEFIT AT ALL WRESTLING THEIR OWN AGE GROUP AT LOCAL TOURNAMENTS, WE TRAIN FOR ONLY STATE AND NATIONAL EVENTS EVERYYEAR, TOURNAMENTS ARE FOR PRACTICE TO GET YOUR WORK IN. PEOPLE THINK OF BIG PICTURE FOR YOUR WRESTLER BIG PICTURE, HIGH SCHOOL, GETTING THEM READY FOR WHEN THEIR TIME HAS COME THEY CAN STEP UP, AND THE TRANSITION IS NOT SHELL SHOCK. THAT IS THE BIG PICTURE PEOPLE...

PREEEECH MCKAJC PREEEECH, MY SONS DO NOT BENEFIT AT ALL WRESTLING THEIR OWN AGE GROUP AT LOCAL TOURNAMENTS, WE TRAIN FOR ONLY STATE AND NATIONAL EVENTS EVERYYEAR, TOURNAMENTS ARE FOR PRACTICE TO GET YOUR WORK IN. PEOPLE THINK OF BIG PICTURE FOR YOUR WRESTLER BIG PICTURE, HIGH SCHOOL, GETTING THEM READY FOR WHEN THEIR TIME HAS COME THEY CAN STEP UP, AND THE TRANSITION IS NOT SHELL SHOCK. THAT IS THE BIG PICTURE PEOPLE...

not sure if you are agreeing or not, but you've hit it on the head. Why get up at dawn every Sunday morning to sit in a gym all day long if there's no benefit? The key word, as I said, is DEVELOPMENT that's the big picture. The sooner you start wrestling older kids the better off the wrestler will be later, SOCIALAZTION, after awhile it's no big deal.  I tend to agree with the people who have "been there done that"(College wrestlers and coaches).

not sure if you are agreeing or not, but you've hit it on the head. Why get up at dawn every Sunday morning to sit in a gym all day long if there's no benefit? The key word, as I said, is DEVELOPMENT that's the big picture. The sooner you start wrestling older kids the better off the wrestler will be later, SOCIALAZTION, after awhile it's no big deal.  I tend to agree with the people who have "been there done that"(College wrestlers and coaches).

i think that it really does cripple youth who really want to grow in this sport. For some unless they drive 3 to 4 hours away each weekend they end up wrestling and wrestling the same kids...they could easily bump up and get experience in wrestling a better and older wrestler. will all of these be losses, no, im not saying that but in my expereince personally when i have bumped up and lost or wrestled better competition and lost i learned more from that than taking an easy win against a familiar opponent. Kids that come from feeder programs or large clubs that have the resources and varied age groups so that the younger kids can get reps with older more experienced wrestlers are the ones who grow most. Look at some of the top programs in the state and you will see that they for the most part have a successful club that allows wrestling in between age groups. I think that this same experience can be attained on the mat in a match with older opponents too....

i think that it really does cripple youth who really want to grow in this sport. For some unless they drive 3 to 4 hours away each weekend they end up wrestling and wrestling the same kids...they could easily bump up and get experience in wrestling a better and older wrestler. will all of these be losses, no, im not saying that but in my expereince personally when i have bumped up and lost or wrestled better competition and lost i learned more from that than taking an easy win against a familiar opponent. Kids that come from feeder programs or large clubs that have the resources and varied age groups so that the younger kids can get reps with older more experienced wrestlers are the ones who grow most. Look at some of the top programs in the state and you will see that they for the most part have a successful club that allows wrestling in between age groups. I think that this same experience can be attained on the mat in a match with older opponents too....

Excellent Points.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.