Moving up an age group

Signal34

The arguments here certainly have merit.  If you genuinely want to see change, I would recommend that you come together and collect supporting data for your argument and compose a presentation for the ISWA Board of Directors.  Have an official representitive of a member club who aggrees with your view present it to the board for discussion and debate.  If done correctly, the cause may find support and you may just become a driving force of change in our state.

You can go back and forth all you want here but nothing is going to change.  If you expect something to happen you have to do something more than talk about it.  Have a positive and professional approach and you never know what you may get accomplished.

I would love to talk to the ISWA about this. Getting to Indy for a meeting will be difficult, but I will make every effort. I agree that talk here is meaningless. But you have to agree the subject does get quite a bit of attention. As I remember last year there was allot of support for this, I don't remember any opposition at all.

I'm feeling a poll question coming on.

I wish everyone could see the change in a wrestler that comes over time from wrestling up. We have some kids that just wrestle different when they move up each year to a new age group. It's seems more mental than physical. When you see a kid get past that mental wall, you can see not only in their wrestling but in the way they carry themselves on the mat that the age of their opponent truly doesn?t matter to them anymore. It's a fantastic aspect of growth for a kid. I've been fortunate enough to witness it a few times now. We talk allot in this sport about not letting your mind fool you into thinking you can't. From my experience it might be the single biggest hurdle for kids.

Good Point Steve, I also would like to see it allowed that  wrestlers to move up an age group. Of course within reason, such as only second year wrestlers in their respective division to be able to compete in the division above.

Indiana's HYWA does allow this, and in other states  like Michigan's MYWA.  I know everyone really enjoys going to wrestling tournaments waiting 2 hours and then finally wrestling the same kids you have wrestled last week and the week before. even moving up a weight class  you have wrestled these same kids over and over again.

I understand that liability is the issue but if you look at some of the school systems where 5th graders are allowed to compete on the middle school teams because the school facilities are 5th to 8th grade.

Your right guys, this is a state level issue. I spoke with the USA office last year about this, they told me at the time they advise but they don't dictate to the states on this. This is a workable issue and I think the ISWA will consider the change, provided it's done the right way. We had allot of support for this last year, I'm more than willing to call on that same support again if it will help get this done.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.