Reinoehl gets green light for Mishawaka - South Bend Tribune

Indyfan

Reinoehl gets green light for Mishawaka

TIM CREASON Tribune correspondent

Christmas has come late for a Mishawaka High School wrestler whose senior season appeared to be over before it began.

By a 6-2 vote, the Case Review Panel of the Indiana Department of Education has restored athletic eligibility for Trent Reinoehl, reversing a previous decision by the Indiana High School Athletic Association.

Reinoehl's eligibility was revoked by the IHSAA before the season because his family does not live in Mishawaka's school district.

Reinoehl, who competes in the 135-pound weight class, may now wrestle at next Saturday's IHSAA sectional tournament at Mishawaka, assuming he can win a spot in the Caveman varsity lineup.

The decision follows a day-long hearing Friday in Indianapolis during which the eight-person review panel heard testimony from the Reinoehl family and the IHSAA.Mishawaka coach Darrick Snyder said Reinoehl must challenge teammate Aaron Mersich, a starter most of the season, for the team's 135-pound slot.

"It's not like (Trent) just walks in and he's our guy," said Snyder. "We have a procedure to follow anytime somebody wants to challenge for a (varsity) position. He has to earn it."

However, Snyder said, it is realistic to believe Reinoehl will be successful.

"I think Trent will contend for a state championship," said Snyder. "He's that good."

Snyder said Reinoehl has practiced with the Cavemen every day, and been a fixture on the sidelines at every meet.Reinoehl has been putting in the same work as the rest of the top-ranked Cavemen.

"It's not like Trent walks in Monday and it's the first time we've seen him in four months," said Snyder. "His drill partners are (state champions) Josh Harper and Steven Sandefer. How do you prepare better than that? There's bound to be a little rust, but I think he'll shake that off pretty quick."

Attempts to reach the Reinoehl family for comment were unsuccessful.

Mishawaka's team got the news during a meet at No. 2 (Division 2) Lowell, Mich., where the Cavemen won 35-19.

"The guys were celebrating and I had to take them into the locker room and say, 'Hey, we've got to refocus,'" said Snyder."We've told the team right from the start that Trent would keep trying to get his eligibility restored. If he was successful, he would challenge for a varsity spot," said Snyder. "It's kind of a tough situation, but to a man, the team is supportive.

"We did our homework on this," Snyder said. "We made sure Trent got his six official weigh-ins this season. We put him on our sectional roster, just in case.

"The rest is up to him," said Snyder.

Where does Reinoehl stack up at 135?

How can this be fair? I have heard all the "he's just trying to become the best wrestler and giving himself the best chance." If Alex Johns was to just transfer to EMD everyone on this board would be having a fit.  Maybe Cashe and Spencer should leave their respective public schools and go wrestle for Cathedral how would everyone react. Where is the punishment for using and illegal wrestler? They make other teams FF after using illegal athletes. It isn't fair that some teams have to play by the rules and some don't.

Technicly he was punished, he couldn't wrestle all season, just because they weren't as stricked as some haters might have wanted them to be, doesn't mean he wasn't punished, I think that it shows alot of character in that young man, he stayed with the team and worked hard all season, even though hopes of getting to wrestle seemed small, I think in the end he gets what he deserved, a chance at the state series, I don't care what u guys think, whether you guys feel he doesn't deserve to wrestle, or if its cause you don't want him to wrestle because hes at mishawaka, I hope that he can show some good wrestling and make a nice run and compete for a spot at top 3 in state, to show you guys how hard he has worked, he deserves it after not getting to wrestle this season.

I think you guys should stop complaining, and just congratulate him, whats done is done, and im sure he will show us some great wrestling in this state series

How can a kid who is ineligible to wrestle still get the 6 weigh inns in??  ???

From the IHSAA By-laws - Rule 60-9 (p. 94)...

Ineligible Students

Q. 60-9

May a temporarily ineligible wrestler be weighed in at dual meets or tournaments where his school is participating for the purpose of meeting minimum weight classification requirements for the State Tournament Series?

A. Yes.

Mersich is a tough kid. HE could beat Trent But I'm not in the room. Trent Could get a medal this year I would pick him in the wrestle off

exactly, I would pick Trent over Mersich, but, Mersich does have a chance, thats why its fair, thats what i was saying anyways lol

I wonder what the challenge format for mishawaka is these days?  Is it just one match or multiple matches... I know it used to be that a challenger had to beat the varsity wrestler twice in two matches and all the varsity had to do was win one of the two matches. If that is the case, anything can happen.

I wonder what the challenge format for mishawaka is these days?  Is it just one match or multiple matches... I know it used to be that a challenger had to beat the varsity wrestler twice in two matches and all the varsity had to do was win one of the two matches. If that is the case, anything can happen.

if that is how it is then it will be interesting, I personnally like  best 2 of 3, just because then the best wrestler would be there, but I guess to be fair for the kid who has been varsity pretty much all year, the 2 match set up would be better

The whole point under the 2 match system is that the Varsity guy has proven that he is the best wrestler throughout the year so he only needs one win to prove he is the better wrestler.... it also means that the other wrestler has to prove that his first win (if he/she wins the first match) wasn't just a fluke by winning the 2nd match. Either way I am sure Snyder will handle it properly.

I received this from Trent's dad.

The Reinoehl family would like to THANK our friends and family in the wrestling community from all over the state of Indiana for the love and endless support that was given to Trent over the past few months.  Especially our family at Mishawaka !  We would also like to say GOOD LUCK to ALL the wrestlers and teams that are heading into the state tournament this week.  We wish ALL of you success.  THANK YOU and GOOD LUCK!!!

The Reinoehl family

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.