Coaches board

tskin

I don't think many people really care anymore about that place. 

What sort of impact do you think the demise of the IHSWCA site do to the association overall?  At a minimum it will impede communication for the members, but there have to be other ramifications I'm not thinking of.

I know that the president of the association is on this board and even signed up twice.  They can use this as a communication tool, but I don' t think they will because that would mean they would be "endorsing" this site and from the information I have gathered, they do not endorse this site one bit.

I agree that there needs to be a Coaches Assoc.  I would be real interested to see the list of current "Paid" members.  But a coaches assoc. needs to be more willing to allow all the coaches to get involved!  Less irons in fire makes things more productive!  Spread out responsibilities......just look at how many different jobs there are on indianamat.com! Y2's head would have exploded by now if he tried doing it all himself!  I could be wrong, but I am sure Y2 and most other coaches do like the opportunity to actually coach their kids.

I know that the president of the association is on this board and even signed up twice.  They can use this as a communication tool, but I don' t think they will because that would mean they would be "endorsing" this site and from the information I have gathered, they do not endorse this site one bit.

That sort of short-sighted, anachronistic thinking is  just one reason why I haven't joined the association in 4 or 5 years.

Or it could just be that I don't want to be part of any club that would have me as a member.  ;)

The only reason I have been a member is because the fall clinic fee includes the membership.  I would venture to say probably 95% of the members sign up at the fall clinic or sign up right before the state series to nominate academic all-state wrestlers. 

I would love to save the $20 or whatever it is and use it for the wrestling team since I have yet to see any benefit from being a paid, card carrying member of the IHSWCA.  I get no mailings(snail or email) about upcoming events or meetings.  I get no notification of the minutes at the meetings I don't attend.  I get no information on what is going on in the organization.  The past years they have had a hospitality room at state and this year at the clinic they asked who knew where it was and probably 80% of the people said they had no clue that there was one or where it was.

The only reason I have been a member is because the fall clinic fee includes the membership.  I would venture to say probably 95% of the members sign up at the fall clinic or sign up right before the state series to nominate academic all-state wrestlers. 

I would love to save the $20 or whatever it is and use it for the wrestling team since I have yet to see any benefit from being a paid, card carrying member of the IHSWCA.  I get no mailings(snail or email) about upcoming events or meetings.  I get no notification of the minutes at the meetings I don't attend.  I get no information on what is going on in the organization.  The past years they have had a hospitality room at state and this year at the clinic they asked who knew where it was and probably 80% of the people said they had no clue that there was one or where it was.

Y2, Is this the hospitality suite that is ran by mostly warren people, or is there another one?

Cheap Shots

This is a new board for Indiana wrestling and I am sorry to say that some of the same people that were complaining on the other board are on here and doing the same.

HISTORY:

IHSWCA.

?The Indiana High School Wrestling Coaches Association was established in 1962 to give the coaches an organized voice in wrestling.?

?Echoes Of The Elder ? 2002?

You have every opportunity to join and voice your opinion as an organized group to the IHSAA.

IHSAA.

The IHSAA has governed wrestling in Indiana since 1922. Again you can attend the meetings and voice your opinions.

In 2002 the IHSAC (Indiana High School Athletic Congress) was formed as an alternative to the IHSAA. It died promptly for lack of support.

IHSAC.jpg

REFEREES ASSOCIATION.

The association, under the control of the IHSAA, supervises the qualification of all tournament officials (sectionals through the state). And just for the record it is tough as nails to get a state tournament assignment (and then there is a two year limit).

So quit your DAMN bitchin? and get involved.

TheAncientElder (TAE)

The Imperial Potentate and Grand Poobah of Classless wrestling in Indiana.

I wear my Fez with pride.

www.theancientelder.net

I don't think many people really care anymore about that place. 

I don't agree.  The topic continuously comes up on here about the other board being down.  If no one really cares why do they know it's still down and are complaining about it being down?  I think having both boards up and running would be a good thing.  There are definitely some different points of view that have been brought up there that haven't been here and vice versa.

Cheap Shots

This is a new board for Indiana wrestling and I am sorry to say that some of the same people that were complaining on the other board are on here and doing the same.

HISTORY:

IHSWCA.

?The Indiana High School Wrestling Coaches Association was established in 1962 to give the coaches an organized voice in wrestling.?

?Echoes Of The Elder ? 2002?

You have every opportunity to join and voice your opinion as an organized group to the IHSAA.

IHSAA.

The IHSAA has governed wrestling in Indiana since 1922. Again you can attend the meetings and voice your opinions.

In 2002 the IHSAC (Indiana High School Athletic Congress) was formed as an alternative to the IHSAA. It died promptly for lack of support.

IHSAC.jpg

REFEREES ASSOCIATION.

The association, under the control of the IHSAA, supervises the qualification of all tournament officials (sectionals through the state). And just for the record it is tough as nails to get a state tournament assignment (and then there is a two year limit).

So quit your DAMN bitchin? and get involved.

TheAncientElder (TAE)

The Imperial Potentate and Grand Poobah of Classless wrestling in Indiana.

I wear my Fez with pride.

www.theancientelder.net

Obviously attempts to get involved have been made and rebuffed.  Maybe its not an isolated case?

I looked all over for that hospitality room!!! 

At Conseco it used to be that you'd have to take the escalator up to the second level and then come down a flight of stairs to find the suite level.

It was situated in a corner the last I knew.

Y2CJ41,

First of all, I would like to thank you for starting this board and all of the others who are contributing. It is a great thing for Indiana wrestling. I have always enjoyed your posts, Pick'em contests, rankings, and other contributions to the "old" board.  Obviously, you are committed to Indiana wrestling and Indiana wrestlers.

I would like to address your earlier statements and complaints about the IHSWCA. 

"I would love to save the $20 or whatever it is and use it for the wrestling team since I have yet to see any benefit from being a paid, card carrying member of the IHSWCA.  I get no mailings(snail or email) about upcoming events or meetings.  I get no notification of the minutes at the meetings I don't attend.  I get no information on what is going on in the organization.  "

This is my 18th season as a head coach . I have been a member of the IHSWCA for most of that time.  Here are a few benefits that I have seen the IHSWCA produce for Indiana wrestling during my time (and from before my time).

1. The clinics that you mentioned.  The ISHWCA brings in great clinicians twice a year and offers clinics to Indiana coaches in order to improve our knowledge of the sport and to stay on the "cutting edge" of current technique, training methods, etc.  During my time, I have been fortunate to see numerous high school, NCAA, Olympic, and World Champions as well as Championship coaches demonstrate their best stuff.  Where else do Indiana coaches have the opportunity to take in clinics like this at a relatively affordable price without travelling out of state?  Yesterday, I read Dingo's blog about how well Indiana kids did last spring and summer against some of the nations best wrestlers. Where do you think most of these kids learned their skills? From their high school coaches, many of whom attend the IHSWCA clinics.

2. Brute Scholastic Duals - as mentioned by Dingo, the annual trip each spring that offers Indiana's best to showcase their talents against the rest of the country has been organized and sponsored from the beginning by the IHSWCA.

3. Academic All State - The IHSWCA originated this honor and does this as a service to our kids for recognition of their hard work.

4. IN-IL All star meet - Once again, the IHSWCA, in conjunction with the Illinois coaches' association, annually provides the opportunity for Indiana's best seniors to compete with the best from Illinios and showcase their talents for college recruiters. 

5. Perhaps most importatantly, the IHSWCA is the group that is recognized as the voice of Indiana Wrestling coaches by the IHSAA.  Approximately every other yeare, we are allowed to make proposals to the IHSAA to IMPROVE wrestling in Indiana.  Although it seems like they rarely listen to us, here are a few of the improvements that I know to be direct results of lobbying by the IHSWCA.

- 3 qualifiers from regional to semi-state (1986)

- full wrestle backs at sectional (when we went to the "large" sectional a few years ago

- 16 state qualifiers instead of 12( early 1980's)

- 4 qualifiers from regional to semi state (this year)

-  placing 6, then 8 at the state finals (instead of only 4 )

- partial wrestle backs for 5th -8th (hey, it's better than nothing, which the IHSAA offered)

These are  just a few that come to mind.  I'm sure there are numerous others that I am forgetting.  In every one of these instances, the proposals were discussed and approved at the fall and/or spring clinic by the coaches in attendance.  In addition, the IHSWCA annually sends surveys to all head coaches (including non-members) to survey their opinions on issues the IHSAA is discussing.  NONE of the changes above would have happened without the IHSWCA proposing, fighting, and sometimes re-proposing and fighting again for them. Without the association, we would still have single elimination sectionals with only regional champs advancing to the state tournament and a single elimination state finals with the semi final losers wrestling for third place all in one day. 

As far as being rebuffed about getting involved, I am not going to dispute your claims.  I just know that during the time of my membership, the officers have always been open to my suggestions and more than willing for members to participate and get involved.  Joe, if you really want to get involved, I would suggest calling JD Minch (IHSWCA secretary - treasurer) and expressing this interest to him. He is a great guy who is committed to Indiana wrestling. I'm sure that he will help you get involved in the Associaion if you so desire.

Lastly, to address the complaints about the board on the Coaches' site. I don't know the facts, but I have heard that it was a virus that caused it to crash.  I don't know the specifics as to why it has not been fixed.  This is a great forum, but that's no reason for people to bash the old one. Remember, it was started and maintained for many years by the IHSWCA so Indiana wrestling fans would have somewhere to discuss our great sport. Before that board, there was NOTHING! 

Thanks, again, Y2, for this great forum and all you do for the sport.  We can accomplish much more if we all work together rather than against one another. 

Have a great day!

Chris Ervin

Head Wrestling Coach

Crawfordsville High School

Concerns:

1. I get no mailings(snail or email) about upcoming events or meetings. 

2. I get no notification of the minutes at the meetings I don't attend. 

3. I get no information on what is going on in the organization. 

These seem to be the main concerns.  I really don't see the expression of these concerns as bashing anyone, they seem to be legitimate concerns about communication within the orginization.  There seems to be an attempt to make this a personal issue between individuals involved.  If everone involved has the best interest of indiana wrestling as their motivation, the discussion should not get personal. 

RE:

Concerns:

1. I get no mailings(snail or email) about upcoming events or meetings. 

2. I get no notification of the minutes at the meetings I don't attend. 

3. I get no information on what is going on in the organization. 

1. I regularly get mailings about all clinics. To my knowledge, the business meetings always happen at / in conjuction with the clinic. I will admit that they are often in the evening afterward and I don't often attend them.

2. To my knowledge, minutes are not sent out. Maybe this would be a good idea.

3. Personally, I have always felt that important issues were posted on the message board for discussion and were also brought up at the clinic and/or business meetings. 

I understand your concerns, I guess I just haven't shared those concerns.  I've been happy with the Coaches' Association, but that is just my opinion.

Mr. Hungus, as far as "getting personal" nothing that I posted on my earlier post or this one was intended to attack anyone personally. I don't know Joe or you personally, only from what I see on the message board.  As I said earlier, I'm very impressed with this site and all that you guys are doing for the sport. I felt that the coaches association was being attacked and I was merely stating my opinion that I feel it is a good organization that has done a lot for Indiana wrestling.  To me, it seems like a healthy discussion and I respect your opinions.

Chris Ervin

Chris,

I have only received one mailing from the association and that was a ballot for voting a couple years ago.  I am not in the school, as are many coaches, so that is probably why you get that information.  There are other meetings of the association other than the clinics, including one this weekend.  Did you know of that?  Do you know when the last meeting was before that?  Do you know where the meeting is held? 

I was talking to one of our assistant football coaches the other day and he was talking about how he got an email reminding him of the meeting later in the week with the agenda, location, time, etc.  Why can't something like that be done?  I know they have our email addresses, so it shouldn't be too hard.  What about making a post on the board stating the info also?  I'm not talking about some huge drastic thing here, but communication with your membership base is greatly needed.

I like what they are doing, but at the same time, beyond those things you listed I have not a clue what goes on.  How are the coaches for the IN/IL meet chosen or the Scholastic Duals?  Did they find one for the IN/IL meet or are they still looking? 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.