Discipline

bwoodward

I went to the local fights last summer and the discipline that was used by a majority of the fighters was "street fighting." 

I am a police officer and try to keep tabs on the local turds who fight.  The ones who walk around like tough guys on the street are always getting their asses kicked inthe ring by somebody who knows a bit of wrestling.  It's a beautiful thing.

The best was seeing anyone with an ounce of wrestling experience kicking butt.  One guy was a regional qualifier at best and he won because of his wrestling ability. 

The "street fighters" were fun to watch because they would just throw haymaker after haymaker.  One guy there out his shoulder throwing so many haymakers.  It was definitely entertaining to see the local hillbilly tough guys fight a fair fight.

If you were to ask any real  MMA trainer what kind of fighter they would most want to start out fresh with, almost everyone would say a wrestler. Wrestler have great balance, know how to train hard, learn quickly, and are experts in hip control and take downs. When I was in the Marine Corps we were always training, fighting and screwing around with each other, I was around boxers Karate dudes and every other kind of formal fighting discipline you can think of, and they all hated fighting a wrestler. Because they knew that a wrestler would close the distance and take them down, every time. even a mediocre wrestler can dominate a fight and that is why you are starting to see alot of wrestlers finding there way into the UFC, WEC and every other MMA organization.  Trainers and fight organizers are clamoring for wrestlers all over the US, why are they, well those of us that know and love our sport know why. Because wrestlers kick ..... butt!!! Plain and simple.     

• 1 month later...

The best was seeing anyone with an ounce of wrestling experience kicking butt.  One guy was a regional qualifier at best and he won because of his wrestling ability. 

The "street fighters" were fun to watch because they would just throw haymaker after haymaker.  One guy there out his shoulder throwing so many haymakers.  It was definitely entertaining to see the local hillbilly tough guys fight a fair fight.

Unfortunatly that is what the average UFC fan wants. That is one thing I miss about pride, as fans, they truely understood the ground game.