Rivalries

AJ

Benton Central - Rensselaer was a big one that started in the mid 80's when it came down to a tie and the BC heavyweight was an unexperienced freshman and the RC heavyweight was a semistate or state qualifier. The BC kid fought hard and the RC guy wasn't used to going out of the first period and was so exhausted BC pinned him either late in the second or in the third. Ever since it has been a great rivalry, pulling large crowds and police are always on hand. Recently both teams have gone down hill, but still fun.

AC and bellmont is hardly a rivalry anymore.  Bellmont has won every time for the about the past 20 years and most meets weren't even close.  And I don't see AC winning for the next 20 either.

Guys , Wins and losses does not make a rivalry . Penn and Mishawaka are huge rivals , doesn't matter what the sport . Go to a Penn-Mish football game and see the thousands in attendance , even though Mish hasn't won since 1981 . Go to a Penn-Mish wrestling match and see the number of people in attendance , even though Penn has not won in like 11 years . A Rivalry is a Rivalry , regardless of win loss records .

Union County verses Winchester happens  this Thursday the 18th GO PATRIOTS!!!

Are you joking!

no I wasn't  joking the size of the schools has nothing to do with a rivalry either things always get pretty intense when we square off with one another like 2 years ago when Mardis beat Chalfant in their feildhouse things got pretty loud. Chalfant avenged that loss later on in the conference tourney.Funk & Wagnalls standard desk dictionary Defines a rival as 1. One who strives to equal or excel another or is in pursuit of the same object as another; a competiter 2.One equaling or nearly equaling another in any respect Hope this clears this up for you former

C. Barnett:    The odds of me hitting another deer have gone up since I won't be following Mr.Schurg, who hit the deer in the first place and I won't have Bill Hawkins, Sr. as my co-pilot.  I hope you are sitting in the stands Wed. at the Cp-Merrillville meet instead of being out on the mat. 

Whats the story behind Muncie South and Delta?

Is it something like Penn and Mishawaka?

And is the rivalry a school thing or a wrestling thing?

It was a huge rivalry in the 1980's.  The schools hated each other.  The fans hated each other.  There were personal rivalries within the school rivalry. It was GREAT!

What does the score or how many years in a row a particular team has defeated the opponent?  A rivalry is a rivalry.  Bellmont and AC are two schools in the same county who have both had a great deal of wrestling success.  Ask any Bellmont or AC fan and they will agree that this wrestling meet is a big rivalry.  The great thing is that after the dual meet, the teams tend to cheer for each other throughout the individual tournament.

I can think of two...

I know in the 90's and early 00's Logansport/Winamac got intense a lot...

also I dont know for sure their names, but I believe a kid from Winamac (Guy Rugg?) and Lewis Cass (Marshall Watson?) got into it a few times at 215 i believe. I remember at the TL Invite in the championship match it got a lil' crazy!

What does the score or how many years in a row a particular team has defeated the opponent?  A rivalry is a rivalry.  Bellmont and AC are two schools in the same county who have both had a great deal of wrestling success.  Ask any Bellmont or AC fan and they will agree that this wrestling meet is a big rivalry.  The great thing is that after the dual meet, the teams tend to cheer for each other throughout the individual tournament.

I don't know how it can be a rivalry if you know who is going to win every time!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.