The 4 seeds beat the 1 seeds four to seven times every year...who do you have this year?

maligned

This is normally a standard topic during state finals week.  I haven't seen much discussion of it.  

We know that history says about 4 to 7 guys who got 4th last week will beat a semi-state champ.  See here for detailed history of bracket expectations:

http://indianamat.com/index.php/topic/47681-bracket-data-what-5-years-of-info-says-about-what-will-happen-this-weekend/ 

Who are your Top 3 possible 4's over 1's?

I'll take these:

113: Johnson over Wright

I love Wright, and if he gets past this, I think he could surprise and give the Annakin/Slivka winner fits.  But Johnson's already won 2 of 3 in this series this year and Wright took the last one.  You know that means Johnson's out for revenge and has no pressure as the #4 seed.

126: Dilbeck over Mejia

Evansville was very strong at this weight while FW had a lot of good wrestlers--but no genuine contenders.  Dilbeck is not a standard #4.

285: Fleck over Samuels

Upsets abound at this weight and every year an EMD guy with no business winning gets a first round or quarterfinal upset. Lehman/Pruitt at 152 will also be very interesting in that regard, but I'll guess Fleck gets it done here.

Edited by maligned

I could see Fort Wayne with no placers at several weights

Is this a serious statement? Maybe 2 or 3 weights top, but I don't know if that constitutes several.

Possible 4 over 1

113: Johnson v. Wright (FW)

126: Dilbeck v. Mejia (FW)

145: Cowan v. McIntosh

160: Kasch v. Whitaker

170: Goerig v. Walton – I only say this because Goerig had a nice state run last year and pulled an upset or two at Banker’s Life

182: Hankenson v. Damler

285: McWilliams v. Perkins

Edited by BigCardinal141

Is this a serious statement? Maybe 2 or 3 weights top, but I don't know if that constitutes several.

Possible 4 over 1

170: Goerig v. Walton – I only say this because Goerig had a nice state run last year and pulled an upset or two at Banker’s Life

Whitaker will be very very tough to beat.

Possible 4 over 1

Walton and Whitaker will be tough to beat. I have watched both this year wrestle many matches. They look ready for State to me. 

This is normally a standard topic during state finals week.  I haven't seen much discussion of it.  

We know that history says about 4 to 7 guys who got 4th last week will beat a semi-state champ.  See here for detailed history of bracket expectations:

http://indianamat.com/index.php/topic/47681-bracket-data-what-5-years-of-info-says-about-what-will-happen-this-weekend/ 

Who are your Top 3 possible 4's over 1's?

I'll take these:

113: Johnson over Wright

I love Wright, and if he gets past this, I think he could surprise and give the Annakin/Slivka winner fits.  But Johnson's already won 2 of 3 in this series this year and Wright took the last one.  You know that means Johnson's out for revenge and has no pressure as the #4 seed.

Johnson may be the actual favorite to win this match.  I think he beat Wright fairly easily the two times he won.  

Possible...

113~Johnson over Wright

113~Mosconi over White

120~Hunt over Langeloh

126~Dilbeck over Mejia

126~Loos over Torres

132~Elpers over Black

152~Lehman over Pruitt

160~Bublick over Garman

170~Davis over Samuels

182~Hankenson over Damler

195~Davis over Kleimola

195~Vakalahi over Maddox

285~McWilliams over Perkins

Possible...

113~Johnson over Wright 

113~Mosconi over White

120~Hunt over Langeloh

126~Dilbeck over Mejia

126~Loos over Torres

132~Elpers over Black

152~Lehman over Pruitt

160~Bublick over Garman

170~Davis over Samuels

182~Hankenson over Damler

195~Davis over Kleimola

195~Vakalahi over Maddox

285~McWilliams over Perkins

No chance on the ones I've highlighted.  The others I would all say are possible.

Possible 4 over 1

By several I meant anywhere from 1-4 weights. And that's very possible.

Baumgartner and Goddard went into OT the first time they wrestled. Could this be a possibility?

From where I was sitting on Saturday, it appears Goddard suffered a pretty serious looking knee injury. It could very easily hurt his chances this weekend at medaling. I hope not, great kid and great athlete. 

From where I was sitting on Saturday, it appears Goddard suffered a pretty serious looking knee injury. It could very easily hurt his chances this weekend at medaling. I hope not, great kid and great athlete. 

That is too bad, I hate to see anyone get hurt heading into state.

I've never really considered 1 to be several but that's alright.

What four weights do you think are a possibility? You may be right, I just don't see it when I look through the brackets.

okay sorry for saying several. I was thinking 113, 120, 126, 160. These are all possible but Im hoping FW brings it Saturday

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.