Craziest weigh-in story

WaltHarris

My very first varsity meet as a starter was my junior year was the capital city classic. I left practice Friday night at 118.8 and my coaches told me to only eat a very small portion of pasta and drink water. I went home and fell into some temptation (I think it was extra pasta and a package of oreos and some milk) and came into morning practice before the meet at Perry. Oh crap. I was 120.8 and was wrestling 119 pound weight class. I tried to step off the scale before coaches saw so i could handle the situation myself but it was too late.

I put on the heavy gear and went on with regular morning practice. After everyone else went to shower and change, I spent the next 30 minutes jump roping in the shower area still in my sweat gear. As we boarded the bus, I told the coaches "i think i lost the 1.8. I'm fine." They scoffed and told me to stand in the middle aisle of the bus and do burpees until we got there. About a half mile away from Beech Grove, the coaches had the bus driver stop. "May, you know how to get there, right?" I literally had to try to keep up with the bus going 25 mph for the last half mile stretch to beech grove in the indiana tundra. It was snowing that day.

We got to the venue and had 25 minutes until weigh-ins. I begged to let me go check the weight and the coaches said it's smarter to keep the sweat gear on and keep working. I busted out sprints and finally when weigh-ins came... I made it... by almost 2 pounds. I was 117.2. I had lost 3.6 pounds in my tortorous morning.

I came out for my first match as starting varsity at Perry Meridian and I hadn't told the coaches about a wardrobe choice... tights and orange shoes. One of the assistants grabbed me by my ear and said "if you don't win this whole damn tournament the tights are gone." Thank God he didn't notice the shoes somehow.

I was the #4 seed as my career varsity record to that point was about 10-4 with no significant wins. I took out the one seed in the second round and had a barn burner with Warren Central's freshman at the time (who went on to be a state runner up) and beat him 13-12.

Maybe I should have spent my entire career cutting weight at the last second!

PS I wore those dang tights my entire career after that. Earned it. 

In my almost 30 years as international referee I was recognized as one who was honest and fair. I was selected to work gold medal matches between Russia and Iran, Iran and Korea, Turkey and Ukraine, etc... I was selected to work those matches because all of those countries knew I would call the match based on who did what not who was from what country and what their religious background was or their skin color. I am welcome in any of those countries with open arms.

One of the Iranian referees is one of my best friends. We used to refer to each other as "My Enemy". We greeted each other that way,

Around 1997 or 98 Les Gutches and Kevin Jackson were having battles to make the US Team. They were wrestling in the finals of the National Championships in Orlando. Bobby Douglas was coaching Jackson and asked who the referee was going to be for the final. When they told him it was me his response was "Absolutely no problem. He's fair." I consider that one of the greatest compliments I ever had.

I have been selected to work every World or Olympic Team Trial since 1992, the Pan Am Championships, the World Cup, 25 World Championships and the Olympic Games. Not one time has anyone questioned my integrity or my ethics. Until now...and I'm not sure you even know me.

Tom Clark

I don't know you personally and with everything you've stated that you've done for this sport, I applaud you. However, I think the last 4 lines of your original post is what is offensive. That could have been just left out in my opinion.

I don't know you personally and with everything you've stated that you've done for this sport, I applaud you. However, I think the last 4 lines of your original post is what is offensive. That could have been just left out in my opinion.

Understand that isn't my opinion, rather it is what happened.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.