This Week in Indiana High School Wrestling - A sad state of affairs

KarlHungus

Please add this one to your list, the New Castle SS draws being release prior to the completion of all regionals feeding into it.  I truely believe this puts a lot of pressure on all the coaches at the Richmond regional to compete in a fair, honest and ethical level.  Who are you kidding when a coach or kid sees a much better match-up if they finish 3rd instead of 2nd?  Is it the coaches job to give his kid the best chance to advance or does he owe it to the sport to compete every match and finish as high as possible?  This is a tough situation to put the coaches and kids in.  But, this is also an easy one to fix...Simply re-draw this SS after the completion of the Richmond Regional.

I commented on this on another thread.  Although the brackets should not have been released I do not think it is as big of an issue with the Richmond Regional as it might have been had it been one of the other Regionals.  In our Regional if you do not get first you have assured yourself a rough road because our Semi-State is pretty good.  In the past when only three were advanced there might have been a "better" draw, but with a wrestler needing to win two matches to make it to Conseco very few 2-4 place kids will slip through because of the draw.

I commented on this on another thread.  Although the brackets should not have been released I do not think it is as big of an issue with the Richmond Regional as it might have been had it been one of the other Regionals.  In our Regional if you do not get first you have assured yourself a rough road because our Semi-State is pretty good.  In the past when only three were advanced there might have been a "better" draw, but with a wrestler needing to win two matches to make it to Conseco very few 2-4 place kids will slip through because of the draw.

It is still a difficult position to put kids in.  Bottom line is there should be wrestlebacks.

Is it bad to "stall" in football by running the play clock down before snapping it and keeping the ball on the ground?  No.

Is it bad to run a 4 corners in basketball (yes basketball) with the lead? No.

Edge wrestling is a skill that is important.  Usually the edge wrester's advantage is a direct result of the oppontent not circling and moving to his own advantage.

The difference is those tactics are legal in football/basketball, but illegal in wrestling.  Often referees don't feel like they are allowed to call stalling as it should be called due to the backlash they would receive.  Also, I feel there is a distinct difference between edge wrestling and stalling.

It is still a difficult position to put kids in.  Bottom line is there should be wrestlebacks.

Wrestle Backs sound awesome but wouldn't this take away from the sport? "Luck of the Draw" is what every faces. Our coach talks about adversity and dealing with it all the time. i truely believe that one must step on to the mat and wrestle like its the state championship every match. That being said wrestle backs are not needed. Also most wrestlers/spectators do not want to sit in a gym for an extra 3 hours. Wrestling in the Region would make it even worse because of the merillville semi state. That Place is already a nightmare imagine a couple more hours of being cramped...not worth it!

I think they should have wrestle backs at the regional and semi state. I think at the regional level one more round wouldnt kill anyone. And at the semi state level they should maybe do wrestle backs from the quarter finals insted of the whole tourny. That would save time and make sure the right kid goes unless he gets beat in the first round. But that would be just like state. I like the way state is run, i dont think they need full wrestle backs, even though they could very easily with that long break that they take between the second round and the final session. I also believe that wrestling in the state of indiana can only be made better by the coaches and their voices because everyone knows that the IHSAA could care less. But if we had everyone sending letters, everyone at the door of the IHSAA they would have to listen to us. Too bad the ISWA or the IHSWCA cant run wrestling in Indiana, because i'm sure everyones voice would be heard and i'm sure that everything would be done close to the right way if not better.

Refs need to quit peeing down their legs and call stalling.

What a ridiculous statement.

Every time stalling is called the coaches yell and scream how could that possibly be stalling? When it is not called those same coaches scream and yell that the other kid is running, riding the hips, blocking, take your pick! Fans and coaches are looking at the match from a particular angle, officials are looking at it from a neutral position. Do you know what stalling is in every position? I will help you with that, no. Officials have meetings and discussions, watch videos, read bulletins, all on stalling to learn how to detect it and determine who is causing the stalling. It is a judgment call, not your judgment, not the mom and dads in the stands that have never seen a rule book, not the coach in the corner trying to get every advantage for his wrestler, the official's judgment, the only person with no dog in the fight.

Refs need to quit peeing down their legs and call stalling.

What a ridiculous statement.

Every time stalling is called the coaches yell and scream how could that possibly be stalling? When it is not called those same coaches scream and yell that the other kid is running, riding the hips, blocking, take your pick! Fans and coaches are looking at the match from a particular angle, officials are looking at it from a neutral position. Do you know what stalling is in every position? I will help you with that, no. Officials have meetings and discussions, watch videos, read bulletins, all on stalling to learn how to detect it and determine who is causing the stalling. It is a judgment call, not your judgment, not the mom and dads in the stands that have never seen a rule book, not the coach in the corner trying to get every advantage for his wrestler, the official's judgment, the only person with no dog in the fight.

I thought it was a pretty funny statement. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.