Bad Time

Saw it happened for the first time in a while yesterday. 138 @ FW with Kendall and Chambers, Chambers got the first td and had a merkle position to where kendall blocked his far knee and ran his hips over which started a short scramble with both guys trying to slide a leg in. As they start to come up Kendall slides the leg in and ends up on the back of Chambers in a rear standing position almost simultaneously and the refs initially blow it dead and only give kendall a point. Refs should of gave two for the standing reversal and then blew it dead but the match goes on for about another minute, coach comes over kinda late after that minute happens, things get talked about and they put the minute back on the clock and re-wrestle the whole situation over again with Kendall on top, Refs ended up getting the call right, just haven’t seen bad time have to happen in a while and thought it was interesting. 

20 minutes ago, BrodyHardcastle said:

Saw it happened for the first time in a while yesterday. 138 @ FW with Kendall and Chambers, Chambers got the first td and had a merkle position to where kendall blocked his far knee and ran his hips over which started a short scramble with both guys trying to slide a leg in. As they start to come up Kendall slides the leg in and ends up on the back of Chambers in a rear standing position almost simultaneously and the refs initially blow it dead and only give kendall a point. Refs should of gave two for the standing reversal and then blew it dead but the match goes on for about another minute, coach comes over kinda late after that minute happens, things get talked about and they put the minute back on the clock and re-wrestle the whole situation over again with Kendall on top, Refs ended up getting the call right, just haven’t seen bad time have to happen in a while and thought it was interesting. 

I’ve heard some bad stories from this weekend, but this seems to be the worst. 

3 hours ago, BrodyHardcastle said:

The way you described this, im not sure they applied badtime correctly here.   Bad time is applied when you give a wrestler the wrong position.  The reversal does create the wrong starting position.  But you cant come back a minute later and change a judgement call then create bad time, regardless if call was right or not.  Are you sure the official had a reversal originally then incorrectly started in neutral?

9 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

The way you described this, im not sure they applied badtime correctly here.   Bad time is applied when you give a wrestler the wrong position.  The reversal does create the wrong starting position.  But you cant come back a minute later and change a judgement call then create bad time, regardless if call was right or not.  Are you sure the official had a reversal originally then incorrectly started in neutral?

Just rewatched it again and yes I am sure. You can hear people screaming standing reversal, he blows the action dead for potentially dangerous and he starts them neutral with a 2-1 score. Wrestling happens and the next stoppage a minute later, the refs come together and change the call making it 2-2 with Kendall starting on top. You can hear the ref in the video specifically tell the table this is bad time.

Edited by BrodyHardcastle

12 hours ago, CainBones said:

I’ve heard some bad stories from this weekend, but this seems to be the worst. 

I really doubt it was the worst.  At least the Officiual got it right.  There were a number of issues at New Castle.  One I will not mention,  but one that just amazed me was when the top man had a scissor around the bottom man's body.  The Official was looking right at it (and the Assistant Official was in position to see it as well.  The bottom man's coaches are yelling that is illegal.  I see how the Official is beginning to look at it and I tell my friend..."He is going to call this an illegal hold".  He blew His whistle and signaled "illegal hold".  I could not believe it.  The top guys coach goes to the table and asks that the Official check with the Assitant Official.  I thought....now they will get it right.  They talked for a moment and did not change the call.  Two Officials looking right at it and they could not get it correct.  Neither wrestler was from our school so my objectivty was pretty high.  Stuff like this happened ALOT.  I have NEVER seen so many instance where coaches went to the table, and I am not sure I blame them because there were enough mistakes that the coaches began to question most everything.  I do not think they issued many warnings.

2 minutes ago, Coach Peck said:

I really doubt it was the worst.  At least the Officiual got it right.  There were a number of issues at New Castle.  One I will not mention,  but one that just amazed me was when the top man had a scissor around the bottom man's body.  The Official was looking right at it (and the Assistant Official was in position to see it as well.  The bottom man's coaches are yelling that is illegal.  I see how the Official is beginning to look at it and I tell my friend..."He is going to call this an illegal hold".  He blew His whistle and signaled "illegal hold".  I could not believe it.  The top guys coach goes to the table and asks that the Official check with the Assitant Official.  I thought....now they will get it right.  They talked for a moment and did not change the call.  Two Officials looking right at it and they could not get it correct.  Neither wrestler was from our school so my objectivty was pretty high.  Stuff like this happened ALOT.  I have NEVER seen so many instance where coaches went to the table, and I am not sure I blame them because there were enough mistakes that the coaches began to question most everything.  I do not think they issued many warnings.

New Castle did have some absolutely hand scratchers of calls, with officials either doubling down or completely folding when a coaches asked them a question. 

The worst was the 120 match with Greencastle Central and Fishers. Stall call made with 4 seconds left to tie it and then got waived after the coaches argued with the refs. 

16 minutes ago, CainBones said:

New Castle did have some absolutely hand scratchers of calls, with officials either doubling down or completely folding when a coaches asked them a question. 

The worst was the 120 match with Greencastle Central and Fishers. Stall call made with 4 seconds left to tie it and then got waived after the coaches argued with the refs. 

First time I've seen a stall call overturned.

21 hours ago, tangarrray said:

So in the big picture the call either way didn’t affect the outcome? 

But it could've..

In our sport we all know pretty much anyone can beat anyone on any given day.  That's why we wrestle the matches.  

22 hours ago, Silence Dogood said:

First time I've seen a stall call overturned.

22 hours ago, CainBones said:

I believe the very bad illegal hold call I mentioned happened shortly before this stalling call.  The stalling call was very quick and very out of place.  I told those around me that it was a "make-up" call.  I yelled that a couple of times.  I was not far away and they may have heard me.  I really felt the rabbit ears were really on Saturday.

40 minutes ago, Coach Peck said:

I believe the very bad illegal hold call I mentioned happened shortly before this stalling call.  The stalling call was very quick and very out of place.  I told those around me that it was a "make-up" call.  I yelled that a couple of times.  I was not far away and they may have heard me.  I really felt the rabbit ears were really on Saturday.

Yep. Just watched the video. It was a barely touching, no pressure applied, scissors of the body.

On 2/11/2024 at 9:37 PM, CainBones said:

The worst was the 120 match with Greenfield Central and Fishers. Stall call made with 4 seconds left to tie it and then got waived after the coaches argued with the refs. 

I witnessed a coach get a misconduct for asking about a stalling earlier in the day because it was a questioning a judgement call, and then in the finals this judgement call gets overturned after being asked about. Very frustrating day to say the least...

4 minutes ago, gogoplata89 said:

I witnessed a coach get a misconduct for asking about a stalling earlier in the day because it was a questioning a judgement call, and then in the finals this judgement call gets overturned after being asked about. Very frustrating day to say the least...

I too saw the coach get a misconduct, but I think he used some flavorful language to contest the call. 

This being said, the inconsistency at New Castle was certainly frustrating.