Penn State team best ever ?

If I recall correctly a couple Iowa squads have the highest recent era NCAA championship scores.  Not sure if that would make them the best ever overall talents wise, but it say those teams would be in contention with this years PSU team biggest talent gap vs. rest of that seasons field. 

It is hard to compare teams from different era's, but Iowa's 1997 squad scored the most team points in NCAA history with 170. They had 5 champs & 8 AA's that year.

Let's see how PSU ends the season this year. Won't be easy to beat that overall team performance.

FWI, I'm not sure if the scoring is still the same as it was in 1997.

46 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

It is hard to compare teams from different era's, but Iowa's 1997 squad scored the most team points in NCAA history with 170. They had 5 champs & 8 AA's that year.

Let's see how PSU ends the season this year. Won't be easy to beat that overall team performance.

FWI, I'm not sure if the scoring is still the same as it was in 1997.

The scoring is not the same. Third through eighth were worth less in 97 than now, a 15 point win without back points (called a match termination) was only 1 bonus, and 97 was scored as a 64-man bracket whenever there were pig-tails.

Adjusting Iowa's 97 score for today's rules yields 171.5

This comparison stuff gets complicated. Sure dominant team looks good. But tje missing factor usually is how do you compare all the competitors against each other in the era of the ,so called dominant team ,in a fair statistical way.