Can Indiana ever contest for a big ten title?

Ok, well at this point  if that’s what it takes! I didn’t know if it was Angel or who?Some coaches are better at recruiting than others. McFarland, ex Michigan coach was a master. He left Goldman  a good influx of talent at Indiana before going to  Michigan. 

21 hours ago, Disco said:

While the Wilkinson facility is a night and day improvement from the old University High School gym, it’s set up mainly for volleyball. And doesn’t provide any practice area. But I’m  sure several other Big schools aren’t any better. So using the facilities card does not apply here anymore. 
One of the nicest people you would ever encounter is Duane Goldman. 

Is Chad Red still with the RTC? I haven't seen him compete anywhere? Or is he coaching?

12 hours ago, nk140 said:

Huge graduating class after this season.  Got both rooks, fongaro,  lee, washington, South, and Witham all graduating.  Maybe they are looking at the possibility of being in the lineup early?  Definitely a good class coming in through recruitment. 

I.U. may be even better next year then this year...they have a few redshirts returning also. I'm sure they will also be exploring options in the transfer portal. Angel and staff are actually going to be decent/ pretty good for the next several years. 

Moran 125lbs   back from redshirt  2 years of eligibility left

Frazier 133                                     3 years of eligibility left

Porter 141/149 back from redshirt  3  years of eligibility left

Lowery 157      back from redshirt  4  years of eligibility left

Lillard   165      ............................... 3 years of eligibility left

Gilcher 165/174 .............................. 2 years of eligibility left

D.J.      174/184 ...............................1 year of eligibility left  (COVID Year)

Sollars  197                                       3 years of eligibility left

Bullock HWT.   back from redshirt     1  years of eligibility left

1 hour ago, cradleU said:

I.U. may be even better next year then this year...they have a few redshirts returning also. I'm sure they will also be exploring options in the transfer portal. Angel and staff are actually going to be decent/ pretty good for the next several years. 

D.J.      174/184 ...............................1 year of eligibility left  (COVID Year)

All look good. Who would you say have AA possibilities? 
washington, Gilcher, two  tough weight classes but. 
Maybe Bullock, heavies at the top clearing a little after this season. 

14 hours ago, nk140 said:

Huge graduating class after this season.  Got both rooks, fongaro,  lee, washington, South, and Witham all graduating.  Maybe they are looking at the possibility of being in the lineup early?  Definitely a good class coming in through recruitment. 

Good Question! Well you have got to qualify for the NCAA tournament first. From that list I can see Moran, Porter, Gilcher, Washington, Sollars, Bullock have a great chance to be NCAA qualifiers at their weight. After that ......luck of the draw and seeding play a BIG part in it. 

Next year I can see 6 NCAA qualifiers and possibly 2 All Americans and a couple round of 12 guys. 

16 hours ago, BrodyHardcastle said:

Angel seems to be on the road running some small camps a lot while doing recruiting so just him  getting out there and making a presence is big I think. Also think they changed up geographically where they were recruiting. 

I know Dixon had a presence in tje east for a few years but everyone else Red, Escobedo and LeFever are kinda Indiana guys. I know Jordan had a presence in Wisconsin and home state of Ohio but he flew the coop. I do know the coaches have to go looking, cause most elite ain’t lookin at Indiana. All said , the room looks better every year. 

On 1/17/2024 at 8:23 PM, SunDevils said:

As someone who has worked for multiple institutions - Texas A&M, ASU, and SMU - I can confidently tell you that universities do not pay athletes.

NIL deals are from businesses or functionally, fake non-profit foundations established by businesses and alumni (Texas A&M and Ohio State Football lead the nation in this practice). Additionally, the average deal outside of football or basketball and attractive athletes in fringe sports (female gymnastics and NCAAW basketball) the deals are minimal at best. Of course, there are a few anomalies in wrestling, but many boosters and businesses aren't throwing millions of dollars at wrestlers, there is not a lot of ROI in wrestling (sadly). 

That being said maybe IU can get Mark Cuban to sponsor some top tier talent for IU wrestling. 

Yet....businesses love wrestlers as employees for what they've learned from being a wrestler. The world pays for flash and sparkle and not where the real work is done....sad.

Some of these schools and donors are making it an arms race. Stand alone facilities are becoming the norm- Illinois is building a $14M facility, Iowa is making a $31M facility, Ohio state has a stand alone room with 4 mats, penn state has a massive facility and seeming unlimited money- and these are just in the big Ten. 

Without serious money the small guys are going to continue to have the gap widened and the top guys are going to duke it out for second behind Penn State.

On 1/26/2024 at 11:14 PM, AnonymousLeprechaun0125 said:

Some of these schools and donors are making it an arms race. Stand alone facilities are becoming the norm- Illinois is building a $14M facility, Iowa is making a $31M facility, Ohio state has a stand alone room with 4 mats, penn state has a massive facility and seeming unlimited money- and these are just in the big Ten. 

Without serious money the small guys are going to continue to have the gap widened and the top guys are going to duke it out for second behind Penn State.

Football is feeling the same effects. The top ,5 or 6 ,rotate whos on top each year. And pretty much dictated by money inflow. 

A minor sport, I think is effected as much by administration as it is by money. It’s so important to have AD’s in your corner.