Middle school weight classes

I know this has been discussed in the past but it is ridiculous that we can't come to some kind of agreement state wide on weight classes for middle school. Having to constantly contact other schools, through the ADs that don't understand wrestling, just to find out what weight classes they use and if there is any weight allowance. Again, we are trusting athletic directors to convey these messages without fully understanding what they are even talking about. There are enough things for coaches to worry about without having to fight this battle constantly. Having kids constantly having to make different weight classes from day to day. We need to do better for the young athletes in our state. 

Middle school wrestling is regulated the same way every other middle school sport is regulated - case by case, conference by conference, school by school.

At our duals, we just match them up by size, age, and ability and let them wrestle a couple times. We can't afford to adhere to weight classes or dual scores. We have to do what we can to keep kids engaged and give them a meaningful experience in hopes that they will come back next year.

In a way, I am thankful for that. Wrestling is hard and it teaches a lot of valuable lessons on its own. For us, team scores and making weight aren't necessary at 11, 12, 13 years old. We will teach them that in high school.

I’ve heard about transition to several more classes for middle school season. That would increase from 14 classes to 21/22. I think that’s a recipe for disaster.  That will make for some long dual meets and tournaments.  I sure like the idea of more kids wrestling, but if there are 2-3 classes over 200#, there will be a lot of forfeits as well. 

41 minutes ago, TightCradle said:

I’ve heard about transition to several more classes for middle school season. That would increase from 14 classes to 21/22. I think that’s a recipe for disaster.  That will make for some long dual meets and tournaments.  I sure like the idea of more kids wrestling, but if there are 2-3 classes over 200#, there will be a lot of forfeits as well. 

I've coached middle school wrestling for 12 years at 3 different middle schools.  There's always been over 20 weight classes.   I think that's a very good thing.  Allows more kids to wrestle, and Not as big of a weight difference.  

Only once did I have a problem with crazy weights. That was at Bedford 205, 210, 215, 220, 230 hwt, super heavy weight haha

56 minutes ago, nmsmelby said:

Hamilton County is 

70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100, 106, 113,120, 126, 132, 138, 144, 150, 156, 165, 175, 190, 215, 245, 285

We use same weights as individual middle school state. 65,70,75,80,85,90,95,100,106,113,120,126,132,138,145,152,160,170,182,195,220,285. 

To add to the mix, why are the periods 2-1-1 when ISWA (USA Wrestling) and ISWCA do 1-1:30-1:30?  Same amount of total time.  Many kids start the sport in middle school, and a 2 minute first period for a new wrestler is brutal.  If they survive that they only have a minute in the next two periods to catch up. So many first period pins in middle school, which I think is the result of the long period.  Experienced wrestlers that age are used to the 1-1:30-1:30 timeframe from all of the state and national matches they wrestle.  Doesn’t make any sense to me

You'll never get buy in from every middle school, but it starts w/ a grassroots effort. 

Get a group of MS coaches together - come up w some baselines for weights and periods and just start pushing it. 

Indiana Wrestling Middle School Coaches Association

And if you go my "Jr High" you're not welcome.... wait Madison is a Junior High.... I guess all are welcome. 

I've told @Madtownxwrestler to boycott any place that has ridiculous weights, but we aren't sure our AD would like that.