Paul Gunsett

It has not been posted as yet but we have another great wrestler and coach, Paul Gunsett. I will leave the accolades to my Decatur friends but let me say as an outside admirer, I watched Paul wrestle in the kids program, coached against him in High School and coached against him when he led his alma maters, Bellmont. He has always been a class act. 

It’s my first season as a head coach, at the NE8 duals against Bellmont they rotated coach Gunsett into the corner during our dual meet. I’ll never forget that feeling of emotions I had inside for that and a feeling of pride/honor to sit opposite of him! My condolences on behalf of the DeKalb Wrestling family to the Gunsetts and the Bellmont community. 

Had to resort to the Cathedral oracle on Paul in his honor: 

He beat Billy Terry 7-3 in 1987 semifinals. Billy was arguably Cathedral's best wrestler to never win the state. His brother Jason won twice and placed 4X. 

He also beat Coach Sean McGinley 8-5 in 1988 finals at Market Square. Winner of that match would win the IHSAA Team State title. 

Edited by IndianaWrestlingGuy1

3 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

Had to resort to the Cathedral oracle on Paul in his honor: 

He beat Billy Terry 7-3 in 1987 semifinals. Billy was arguably Cathedral's best wrestler to never win the state. His brother Jason won twice and placed 4X. 

He also beat Coach Sean McGinley 8-5 in 1988 finals at Market Square. Winner of that match would win the IHSAA Team State title. 

Love this kind of wrestling history!!!!

He was one of the nicest guys out there, always respectable and easy to be respected. He is a loss to the Wrestling community and the Bellmont program. My condolences to his family and community. I will miss our wrestling jokes to each other at the state meet!