Saving your wrestlers for when it counts in a new D1 system

The sport has been evolving for several years into a more systematic season. The first part of the season, now ,is used to develop a deeper room and keep starters fresh. As seen with the midlands and scuffle tournaments. Wrestlers don’t need 30 matches in a season to win the trophy in March. The injury risks and weight cut trauma get amplified .It’s More important to pick and choose, in a way , your matches ,to best advance your seed for the NCAA tournament. No need to grind it out in these meaningless events. Holding out wrestlers will continue ,for their benefit. 

As a wrestling fan, and Indiana’s “ number one fan” I don’t like it. It Restricts the already short season, as I see it ,,down more. But for cutting and wear n tear on wrestlers health, of the toughest sport on earth, I can’t argue with the reasoning. 

On 1/5/2023 at 9:04 PM, navy80 said:

I miss the days of Angel, Andrea, and Alex getting 60 matches!!!

Lol that whole era was entertaining to say the least for high school action. And didn’t seem to hurt any of them. In that 60 matches maybe 10-15 were against wrestlers on their level. Most were over in the 1st or 2nd.  Un like college, where almost everyone is on the same level, in addition to the intense room action. 

• 4 weeks later...

Penn state vs IU,Another prime example of the new D1 system. Plenty of hold outs in this one. Michigan vs Oklahoma State yesterday,another example of a lot of hold outs. Duals mean nothing anymore, purely exhibition,It’s all about getting your guy  in peak form for March.  

I admit to not liking some of the holdouts especially in competitive duals. Especially when the match is 2 highly ranked guys or it appears they are protecting a future seed. However, I can see when a team knows they are a very clear easy favorite making lineup changes. e.g. no way IU was gonna beat PSU, so why not get some of your future guys a few matches and experience? But as a fan, sure would love to see the best lineups, just hard for me to criticize hold outs in some cases. As stated above, it does seem like the new D1 system. Makes it a tough decision to drive to a dual when there is a good possibility of not seeing the best matchups.

Edited by RAJR
typos

1 hour ago, RAJR said:

I admit to not liking some of the holdouts especially in competitive duals. Especially when the match is 2 highly ranked guys or it appears they are protecting a future seed. However, I can see when a team knows they are a very clear easy favorite making lineup changes. e.g. no way IU was gonna beat PSU, so why not get some of your future guys a few matches and experience? But as a fan, sure would love to see the best lineups, just hard for me to criticize hold outs in some cases. As stated above, it does seem like the new D1 system. Makes it a tough decision to drive to a dual when there is a good possibility of not seeing the best matchups.

Last sentence here says it all. And then out of the other sides of their mouths, “we need to figure out how to grow the wrestling community, the sport “
This is a catch 22 

At times it seems coaches of all levels are doing all they can to make the sport difficult for all but the absolute elite and most hardcore fans:

-Marathon youth tournaments

-Sucking weight

-Ditching hs duals in favor of marathon tournaments every single Saturday

-Ducking to protect seeds (When does this trickle down to hs?)

-"Pitch counts" for current stars

-Duals that mean zero to anyone

-Forfeits on the back side...heck even in the B1G finals...

-Some of our biggest senior level stars wrestle one event a year.

The list grow more and more every year.

2 hours ago, matts said:

At times it seems coaches of all levels are doing all they can to make the sport difficult for all but the absolute elite and most hardcore fans:

-Marathon youth tournaments

-Sucking weight

-Ditching hs duals in favor of marathon tournaments every single Saturday

-Ducking to protect seeds (When does this trickle down to hs?)

-"Pitch counts" for current stars

-Duals that mean zero to anyone

-Forfeits on the back side...heck even in the B1G finals...

-Some of our biggest senior level stars wrestle one event a year.

The list grow more and more every year.

All good points. Casual fans prefer duals over all day tournaments. I don't go to many HS duals anymore unless it's a big rivalry or top ranked teams.  Too many times drive to the dual, pay, then end up seeing a bunch of forfeits and guys in street clothes. Injuries are one thing, but a lot of times it's they don't want to make weight during the week or coach lets them slide until Saturday. So, read between the lines on that is all I will say.  SMH.  Several times my travel time was longer than the dual.  

Edited by RAJR
clarification