Individual Scoring Question?

Coach Swinson

I have a question that I am unsure what the answer is. 

A wrestler receives a BYE in the first round of a tournament. The team receives advancement points as he/she advances through the bracket. I know that if he/she receives a forfeit, they earn a WIN on their record, but if he/she did receive advancement points when drawing a BYE, what is the reason why or why not he/she would not receive a WIN on their record.

Probably should already know this but I thought it is an interesting question.

Thanks.

Obviously a BYE signifies their is no matchup at all available, so no opponent for you to earn a win against. On the other hand a FF would mean the opposing school is placed in the bracket but is not able to fill that position. A win would be earned since the opposing school was charged with providing a wrestler but did not send one out. That is as good as I could explain for why in general a BYE would not go down as a win in the record.

As far as the advancement point go , while I don't have the rules book in front of me, if I recall correctly the wrestler would only receive the BYE advancement point if they then won the following match. Which would prove he did something to earned the advancement rather than just drew into that open position. So if the wrestler lost the following round those advancement points would not be rewarded.

Edited by MattM

Obviously a BYE signifies their is no matchup at all available, so no opponent for you to earn a win against. On the other hand a FF would mean the opposing school is placed in the bracket but is not able to fill that position. A win would be earned since the opposing school was charged with providing a wrestler but did not send one out. That is as good as I could explain for why in general a BYE would not go down as a win in the record.

As far as the advancement point go , while I don't have the rules book in front of me, if I recall correctly the wrestler would only receive the BYE advancement point if they then won the following match. Which would prove he did something to earned the advancement rather than just drew into that open position. So if the wrestler lost the following round those advancement points would not be rewarded.

What about seeded brackets for the advancement? Wouldn't previous results mean they earned that point beforehand?

What about seeded brackets for the advancement? Wouldn't previous results mean they earned that point beforehand?

Almost all tournaments do random drawing of forfeits and byes once seeds are put into the bracket.  Example: 12 teams, top 6 get seeded, use 16-man bracket...1) seeds put in proper places, 2) unseeded wrestlers randomly drawn into 7th and 8th first-round matches, 3) all other unseeded wrestlers randomly drawn into first round matches with balance kept in the quarters of the bracket, 4) forfeits drawn randomly, 5) byes drawn randomly.  In other words, a number one seed could wrestle first round while a #6 could have a bye.  In both cases, they must win 2 rounds to earn the advancement points.

And Maligned description of the "random draw-in" is the main reason that team scoring for Sectionals has started with the quarter-Final round. It eliminated the random draw-in of Bye or even FF from hurting or helping a team's chances of winning a Sectional title.

But, since after Sectional there is no random draw-in (with BYE being eliminated and almost all FF are out) it would seem logical that scoring could start with the opening round for the rest of the State Tournament Series. Although currently, the rule for Semi-State is still in place that scoring will not begin until the round of 8 (quarter-finals). It was recently changed at the State level to the opening round to help calculate a more accurate final team score, but this same measure was not implemented at the semi-state level for some reason.

Did they change it yet again or did they just forget to adjust this years Winter Bulletin then?

VII Scoring

Page 82 of 89

Individual and team scoring shall be decided according to Rule 9 in the current Wrestling Rules. Six places shall be awarded

at the sectional. Team scoring in the sectional shall begin at the quarter‐finals level and not before. Only four places shall be

awarded at the regional and semi‐state levels.  Scoring at the Regional, and Semi‐State level will begin at the round of eight.Team scoring at the State meet will begin during the opening round with advancement points.

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/quick%20resources/Winter%20Bulletin.pdf

Just clarifying, so the teams know what to expect come Semi-State time.

Probably a misprint. All matches were scored last year, I know that for a FACT.

I thought they were with the close Evansville Semi-State results, but when I checked with the Bulletin I figured it may have not been the case.  It should be scored, so hopefully it still is.

Probably a misprint. All matches were scored last year, I know that for a FACT.

Yeah, I got the word from the East Chicago Central Semi State that Robert Faulkens told the event coordinators that all matches were to be scored, so I know for sure that every match was scored, because I did it!  

Time for me to go hide under the 9 inches of snow of TrackWrestlingLand again.

Edited by trackgopher

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.