Some more stats from 2015 State

oldandbroke

So we are about 7% off..

Could we simply offer RTCS at these small schools?

Could we fund raise at the state event to support year round clubs at these small schools?

Could we offer special national events for these small school wrestlers to go compete in?

There are lots of differnt ways we can give more motivation for small school wrestlers that are already dedicated to the sport reach the podium.

We are not 7% off.  From 5.8% to 13% is 7.2 percentage points off.  If we should be at 13% placing, and we are actually at about 6%, we are really over 50% off of the number we should be.  This is true because 6 is less than half of 13.  Less than half of the 1A kids that should statistically place at state actually do.

Edited by Galagore

We are not 7% off.  From 5.8% to 13% is 7.2 percentage points off.  If we should be at 13% qualifying, and we are actually at about 6%, we are really over 50% off of the number we should be.  This is true because 6 is less than half of 13.  Less than half of the 1A kids that should statistically place at state actually do.

Thanks for clearing that up Mr. Math :) So i guess we need to get what 2 more 1A kids a year to place and we can make up that 50%?

So you think if we classed wrestling for 20 years and then suddenly unclassed it that we could increase the placers that 6% we are lacking now? Becuase to me it wouldn't do anything. 3A wrestling would now be even MORE dificult than before and they would STILL have to out train 1A kids in order to be a state placer...

Haven't seen a state go class then revert back, so who knows what would happen. My guess is the world would implode.

no way.......with open enrollment kids would move all over.

Mine will... I have 3 different school districts that pick up right outside my front door. Talk about options galore!

Haven't seen a state go class then revert back, so who knows what would happen. My guess is the world would implode.

Lol well you know what they say..

Once you go ____ you never go back.

We are not 7% off.  From 5.8% to 13% is 7.2 percentage points off.  If we should be at 13% qualifying, and we are actually at about 6%, we are really over 50% off of the number we should be.  This is true because 6 is less than half of 13.  Less than half of the 1A kids that should statistically place at state actually do.

You can manipulate the numbers to show whatever you want.....You seem like a typical numbers warlock to me

Mine will... I have 3 different school districts that pick up right outside my front door. Talk about options galore!

Lol well you know what they say..

Once you go ____ you never go back.

And it hasn't driven any state's wresting out of business.

Please amend your statement to include "kids with the state qualifier/placer gene."

And it hasn't driven any state's wresting out of business.

Please amend your statement to include "kids with the state qualifier/placer gene."

But do you think it has "Closed the gap" like you stated your goal was eariler in the thread? Or are their 3A wrestlers still way better than their 1A wrestlers like what is apparently so devistating to Indianas wrestling scene?

Edited by Super_Fan

Are we counting Evansville Matre Dei in the "small school" category when crunching the numbers? This is a serious question as I have not followed the thread enough in its early stages to know if they were categorized as a small school or big school.

So we are about 7% off..

Could we simply offer RTCS at these small schools?

Could we fund raise at the state event to support year round clubs at these small schools?

Could we offer special national events for these small school wrestlers to go compete in?

There are lots of differnt ways we can give more motivation for small school wrestlers that are already dedicated to the sport reach the podium.

Who is we?

But do you think it has "Closed the gap" like you stated your goal was eariler in the thread? Or are their 3A wrestlers still way better than their 1A wrestlers like what is apparently so devistating to Indianas wrestling scene?

It isn't about "closing the gap," its about growing the sport. The sport in those states seems to be doing well. In Ohio they sell out their state finals and if you have a kid unexpectedly qualify for state it may be difficult to find a ticket. 

The 3A kids are going to be wrestling the same kids at the state tournament, they might not have a Micic or Howe, but they'll have to beat the best like they do now.

Who is we?

Obviously all of us. If we are willing enough to argue about classing wrestling on this stupid computer for 27 pages i think it shows there are people willing to go to extreme measures to make wreslting better in the state. Classed or not.

About 8.

Well thats like only half a team. Lets get EMD to go back down to 1A and we could be there already...

It isn't about "closing the gap," its about growing the sport. The sport in those states seems to be doing well. In Ohio they sell out their state finals and if you have a kid unexpectedly qualify for state it may be difficult to find a ticket. 

The 3A kids are going to be wrestling the same kids at the state tournament, they might not have a Micic or Howe, but they'll have to beat the best like they do now.

But classing wrestling isn't the only way to grow the sport. Maybe we should look at other options besides just classing and not classing because it's pretty clear at this point the two sides arent going to come together..

Obviously all of us. If we are willing enough to argue about classing wrestling on this stupid computer for 27 pages i think it shows there are people willing to go to extreme measures to make wreslting better in the state. Classed or not.

Classing is not that extreme....40+ states already do it.  It seems extreme because of your emotional attachment to the status quo.

Well thats like only half a team. Lets get EMD to go back down to 1A and we could be there already...

8 is 400% greater than 2.  You seem to need multiple Mr. Math's to keep you on the rails.

Classing is not that extreme....40+ states already do it.  It seems extreme because of your emotional attachment to the status quo.

I wasn't saying classing is extreme.  I was saying we are willing to go to extreme measures to make the sport better in Indiana.

I'm saying your goal with classing is to grow the sport. But by classing we oppose it because we don't see a NEED for it in order to grow the sport. It causes us to lose the special tourney we have in indiana. There are other things we can do to grow the sport that wont effect our state tourney...

So, 14 weight classes X 8 places =112

300 (ish) schools x 14 weight classes =4200

112 state places divided by 4200 possible = 2.7 %

8 places divided by 300 (1 weight class) = 2.7%

Used Y2 Placer Percentage

1A- 4.5% X 2.7% = 0.12% of 1a wrestlers place     

4.5 x less of a chance than 2A & 16.9 x less of a chance than 3A

2A- 20.5% X 2.7% = 0.55% of 2a wrestlers place

3.7 x less of a chance than 3A

3A- 75%   X 2.7% = 2.03% of 3a wrestlers place

Edited by warsawwrestling

Why are you guys so set on classing and not open to comprimise?

If we increase the qualifiers for state wouldn't this alos give more motivation to smaller schools? Like you say yeah it might not effect the numbers in a year or two but what about 10-20 years down the road like classing?

Edited by Super_Fan

I wasn't saying classing is extreme.  I was saying we are willing to go to extreme measures to make the sport better in Indiana.

I'm saying your goal with classing is to grow the sport. But by classing we oppose it because we don't see a NEED for it in order to grow the sport. It causes us to lose the special tourney we have in indiana. There are other things we can do to grow the sport that wont effect our state tourney...

Arguments from emotion are rarely persuasive.  How do qualify "special".  But for kicks and giggles I would guess there are many classed state finals that meet or exceed what you deem as "special".

8 is 400% greater than 2.  You seem to need multiple Mr. Math's to keep you on the rails.

I'm sorry i'm at work... Excuse my lack of time and willingness to put in the mental effort right at this moment to make sure my numbers are exactly correct

Arguments from emotion are rarely persuasive.  How do qualify "special".  But for kicks and giggles I would guess there are many classed state finals that meet or exceed what you deem as "special".

LOL special is an EMOTION. EMOTIONS are the driving force behind peoples actions! And i mean special as in unique, challenging, the best of the best.

Edited by Super_Fan

If we increase the qualifiers for state wouldn't this alos give more motivation to smaller schools? Like you say yeah it might not effect the numbers in a year or two but what about 10-20 years down the road like classing?

or increasing the amount of qualifiers would just mean more kids from big schools would qualify 

Increasing qualifiers will have little to no affect on the placers and virtually no affect on the champions. On top of that as my ginger friend stated the percentages will stay the same.

or increasing the amount of qualifiers would just mean more kids from big schools would qualify 

But still more smaller school kids would than we have now. More kids being "Sussessful" will make more kids wrestle according to the logic presented in this post. So it would still grow the sport...

If our goal isn't to "close the gap" then who cares about the percentages? Its just about getting more kids to wrestle...

It also still gives those few 1A kids that specialize in wrestling the chance to compete against the big schools and show to colleges they are better than the kids at the big schools. So now they might get that DI offer instead of it going to the 3A state champion just because he is in the bigger class

I'm sorry i'm at work... Excuse my lack of time and willingness to put in the mental effort right at this moment to make sure my numbers are exactly correct

LOL special is an EMOTION. EMOTIONS are the driving force behind peoples actions! And i mean special as in unique, challenging, the best of the best.

You are forgiven.  Thought you might be interpreting the statistics for your argument's sake

Emotional arguments are rarely pusuasive

So classing wrestling could.....maybe.....might......probably will help small school athletes.  Not seeing a lot of actual evidence to sway me in that direction. There are a lot of other states that should probably have class wrestling due to the size.  Florida has 20 million people, Illinois has 13 million people, Pennsylvania has 12.5 million people, Ohio has 11 million people, Michigan 10 million people.  Indiana has a lot less than that.  

Like someone said above. Use EMD's statistics with the small schools to properly state your case.  

Teams like Bellmont, Yorktown, EMD, Jimtown seem to do okay every year.  They even manage really good football teams most years.  How do their kids find time to be good in both?  Maybe they have really good coaching.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.