Evansville Central Sectional Preview

hook and half

central did an outstanding job of organizing and running the sectional.  no empty mats.

observations:

• a bigger crowd than usual, this year.  
  • tiny, 1a tecumseh was impressive.  their kids are in shape and wrestle hard.  they also had a number of fans that attended and were very loud.  in the semis, tecumseh won four in a row.  a couple of the matches were close.  their fans blew the roof off the place.
  • isaiah kemper dominated.  sophomore colton o'neal from pike central did not know that a wrestler with 10 losses should be able to compete with kemper.  kemper ended up winning with a tech, but o'neal stayed with it.  i look for him to be on the radar, next year.
  • two wrestlers are no longer unbeaten.  kyle todrank was defeated by md's joe lee.  md's chase anslinger handed tecumseh's adam lytle his first record blemish.
  • gibson southern's cory klem is very tough.
  • tecumseh's tristan mcdaniel also looked very good.

all and all, a great day of wrestling.  many exciting semifinal and final matches.

Tecumseh has came a long way. It was just 6 years ago the team traveled to sectional in one car. Two coaches and three wrestlers. Not sure how our fans got there but they could have all fit in one car as well that year. The boys have worked very hard to get to this point.

Just saw some film on line of the match.  GS wrestler looked like he was boxing.  Not wrestling.  While it was "open handed", it was clearly overboard with palm facing down.  The CourierPress called it correctly: "Jabs".  Surprised the MD wrestler kept his composure.  VERY surprised the MD coaches kept theirs.   

Prediction: Ramsey makes it to the finals. 

All you guys sound pretty silly to me. Do me a favor and watch this

for those of you who don't know this is your US Olympic champion doing basically what Todrank did Saturday. The sport of wrestling is an evolving one, guys don't just walk at each other and hand fight anymore, there is scrambling and this "pop and fake Technique." Try to watch more than MD wrestling because James Green, Burroughs, Oliver, and Nashan Garrett (successful NCAA wrestlers) all do the same thing and don't get hit with stalling or miss conduct.. Get off this website and turn on big ten network and watch the sport evolve

All you guys sound pretty silly to me. Do me a favor and watch this

for those of you who don't know this is your US Olympic champion doing basically what Todrank did Saturday. The sport of wrestling is an evolving one, guys don't just walk at each other and hand fight anymore, there is scrambling and this "pop and fake Technique." Try to watch more than MD wrestling because James Green, Burroughs, Oliver, and Nashan Garrett (successful NCAA wrestlers) all do the same thing and don't get hit with stalling or miss conduct.. Get off this website and turn on big ten network and watch the sport evolve

not the same thing.   open palm to the crown of the head and to the face is not the same.  likewise college and olympic wrestling IS NOT the same as high school wrestling...perhaps you should get off this website and look up some of the differences between the two.

but...if this is what high school wrestling is evolving to, then we will see a lot more wrestlers doing it.     The Iron Shiek  had a mean camel clutch and when he loaded that boot up, you better watch out.

not the same thing. open palm to the crown of the head and to the face is not the same. likewise college and olympic wrestling IS NOT the same as high school wrestling...perhaps you should get off this website and look up some of the differences between the two.

but...if this is what high school wrestling is evolving to, then we will see a lot more wrestlers doing it. The Iron Shiek had a mean camel clutch and when he loaded that boot up, you better watch out.

I watched the video the C&P posted and most of those shots were too the top of the head and you are correct high school wrestling isn't the same as college and Olympics, it's higher level and younger guys are going to try and imitate that, just like Ben Askren winning the NCAA's and everyone wanted to scramble or john Smith wins the Olympics and everyone wants to low single, I promise you will see more of this type of wrestling from athletic quick kids because it is an excellent set up, you're Either just too hard headed about how (you believe) wrestling should be or too unknowledgeable on how the sport is too see that

I watched the video the C&P posted and most of those shots were too the top of the head and you are correct high school wrestling isn't the same as college and Olympics, it's higher level and younger guys are going to try and imitate that, just like Ben Askren winning the NCAA's and everyone wanted to scramble or john Smith wins the Olympics and everyone wants to low single, I promise you will see more of this type of wrestling from athletic quick kids because it is an excellent set up, you're Either just too hard headed about how wrestling should be or too unknowledgeable on how the sport is too see that

Wrestlefan1, 

Your first 2 posts on this board aren't going to win you many fans but I'm sure you're a good guy/gal?   My advice would be to state the facts or your opinions and not make it so personal.  JMO

Jon H

Wrestlefan1, 

Your first 2 posts on this board aren't going to win you many fans but I'm sure you're a good guy/gal?   My advice would be to state the facts or your opinions and not make it so personal.  JMO

Jon H

Try not to "like" your own comments either.

I watched the video the C&P posted and most of those shots were too the top of the head and you are correct high school wrestling isn't the same as college and Olympics, it's higher level and younger guys are going to try and imitate that, just like Ben Askren winning the NCAA's and everyone wanted to scramble or john Smith wins the Olympics and everyone wants to low single, I promise you will see more of this type of wrestling from athletic quick kids because it is an excellent set up, you're Either just too hard headed about how (you believe) wrestling should be or too unknowledgeable on how the sport is too see that

i agree, if its going to be allowed, then more kids are going to do it.   take what you want from that statement.

The First Family of professional wrestling  led by none-other than Jimmy Hart, the mouth of the south.

i don't even have to check the rule book...five-point move, right there.

you sir, win the internet today.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.