Hamilton Co. - Eldred v. Chastain

backtothemat

Jack had been sick and tried to wrestle. At the start of the second period. His body basically shut down.

Eldred was able to cut him and take him.

down at will. He became violently sick right after. It was very difficult to watch. Good news is we will have a chance to see it again in 2 weeks at the Conference meet.

We also appreciate the number of people who checked on Jack after. He is doing fine and will be back at full strength soon.

I hope he gets well soon!

On the bright side, it is better to be sick during county tourney than state tourney.

That is for sure!  If your wresters have not had their flu shot yet.  Make sure you get it.

It could end there season fast.

I was at the meet.  From a fan's standpoint, I can't believe that no one has mentioned yet that Eldred wrestled REALLY well.  Just want to give Eldred some credit.  While some other factors may have come in to play, the fact that no one has mentioned that Eldred was on fire for the match is very noticeable.  He wrestled very well.  Also, I'm sure Jack was ill, you could see that.  I also wish he would have made every attempt to get to the awards stand for the presentation.  Regardless of illness or not, I wish he would have been there, deal with the nausea for 2 minutes and show respect to those in your weight class.  Two great competitors, hopefully we'll get to see them again down the road.....again in this entire thread no one had mentioned Eldred and felt that he deserved to be recognized for an incredible match.

I was at the meet. From a fan's standpoint, I can't believe that no one has mentioned yet that Eldred wrestled REALLY well. Just want to give Eldred some credit. While some other factors may have come in to play, the fact that no one has mentioned that Eldred was on fire for the match is very noticeable. He wrestled very well. Also, I'm sure Jack was ill, you could see that. I also wish he would have made every attempt to get to the awards stand for the presentation. Regardless of illness or not, I wish he would have been there, deal with the nausea for 2 minutes and show respect to those in your weight class. Two great competitors, hopefully we'll get to see them again down the road.....again in this entire thread no one had mentioned Eldred and felt that he deserved to be recognized for an incredible match.

No one is saying Eldred (an AA) isn't a great wrestler. But in this sport no matter how good of a wrestling you are if your opponent is at 50%, 75% or even just 90% your going to look like Dan Gable. The story isn't how good Eldred wrestled, but how ill Jack was and anyone watching the match could see that. "From a fan's standpoint" I truly expected jack to pass out right on the mat. What a gutsy young man!!! "deal with the nausea for 2 minutes and show respect to those in your weight class"??? It looked to me like he delt with the "nausea" and showed GREAT "respect" for the weight class for 6 min!!! Eldred is a great wrestler, but if my son (& I'm not saying he's yours) had won a match like that, in no way would I be shouting from the roof tops (or forums). I mean come on man!!!

At the same time, if my son (and I'm not implying he's yours) were to lose a match due to illness or injury, I wouldn't shout that from the rooftop either. Athletes battle through sickness and injuries all the time...it's part of competing.

Yep your right he's not my son and this topic wasn't started by his Dad. But (& I'm guessing) by somone who wanted to know more about the match then a lopsided score. You might re-read the post. Actually jacks dad hasn't even post on this topic and no one was "shouting from the roof top" about Jack illness. And anyone who was there and watched the match could have seen jack was not right. Athletes do battle through illness and injury all the time, and that's exactly what Jack did. What a tough young man!!! Anyone who knows him or has ever seen him on the mat would never question that. Wow.....

Well, I took your advice and read the post again, and I have come to the conclusion that you and I have two very different interpretations of what has been posted. The majority of individuals who have commented on this topic have expressed their admiration for the heroic efforts of Jack Chastain as he competed with the flu. However, when someone complemented the performance of the winning wrestler, you appeared to become very defensive.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.