Castle finals 106

BB145

I don't know the exact rule. I suppose there is probably latitude in that situation based on referees judgement. Key points though:

1. Konrath was completely flat (belly out) holding Egli's ankle.

2. Egli's hips were up and he was behind Konrath.

3. Egli had Konrath's near leg completely hooked (laced).

4. Egli's hands were over Konrath's hips and locked around the oppasite leg (through the crotch). In a normal position this would essentially be a banana split and no one would question he was in the control position.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A banana split? That would require Elgi to have a leg in and across the hips of Konrath? He just simply hooked lace from being stretched out. Konrath had the ankle but had it hooked over his head. I would say if it was close to anything it would have been closest to a scissor cradle. A stalemate would have been called if this was 1 minute into the second. I really do think the ticking clock made the decision to be rushed. JMO, both wrestled great.

I don't know the exact rule. I suppose there is probably latitude in that situation based on referees judgement. Key points though:

1. Konrath was completely flat (belly out) holding Egli's ankle.

2. Egli's hips were up and he was behind Konrath.

3. Egli had Konrath's near leg completely hooked (laced).

4. Egli's hands were over Konrath's hips and locked around the oppasite leg (through the crotch). In a normal position this would essentially be a banana split and no one would question he was in the control position.

"When he (Peter Pan) was a very little fellow he ran away from the human world, and lived with the fairies in the Never Never Never land."

From what stratosphere did you witness this? I was on the same side of the gym as the action and 7 rows up above the wrestlers. It simply Never Never Happened like that. I agree that at best it was an escape but more likely a stalemate.  ???

An escape? It was either a reversal or stalemate but certainly not an escape.

A leg scissor? I will admit that that I am pretty new to the sport and know very little but a leg scissor?

An escape? It was either a reversal or stalemate but certainly not an escape.

A leg scissor? I will admit that that I am pretty new to the sport and know very little but a leg scissor?

Not saying it was close to that just saying it was no where near a banana spilt.

Seems that since an escape isn't even on the table it makes a stalemate the better argument. You dispute an escape but think Egli had all out control? (Reversal) The match is over so its time to move on from here but it would be nice if the guys in stripes would call these matches with total disregard for the crowd in the stands. That call was made ONLY because of the crowd. Its over and next week is a new tournament. I know those two are going to represent their schools in a honorable fashion.

I'm extremely confused why this is even being argued about. Egli had control for at least 10 seconds before the call was made, once the leg is hooked it's 2. look up the rules people. dispute the score, the change from this match to the holiday classic is exactly why I have picked Egli to win at Bankers Life over and over.

If you think Reffing is that easy, apply to be one.  see how much crap you get from coaches and fans. Paul Konrath is a great kid, whose parents taught him to be that way. Respect of the sport is first, winning is second. BB195 now, lol. It was not a reversal, possibly escape if anything. then OT, to make them bang it out.

If you think Reffing is that easy, apply to be one.  see how much crap you get from coaches and fans.

This is one of the most overused statements on the board.  Scoring and interpretation of the rules are not black and white.  I don't want to be a referee and I respect the people who are..................however, this is a Wrestling Discusson Board and since there is such a wide range of skill in the referree ranks and wrestling is very difficult to call - there will always be comments and discussions on big calls, no calls and bad calls. 

If we take away the comments on controversial calls and "what do you think?", etc.  we might as well just post results and congratulate everyone on their wins and console them in their losses. 

Seems that since an escape isn't even on the table it makes a stalemate the better argument. You dispute an escape but think Egli had all out control? (Reversal) The match is over so its time to move on from here but it would be nice if the guys in stripes would call these matches with total disregard for the crowd in the stands. That call was made ONLY because of the crowd. Its over and next week is a new tournament. I know those two are going to represent their schools in a honorable fashion.

Do you even listen to yourself when you talk/type? haha, ignorance must be your strong suit buddy

I commend Egli for overcoming a substantial loss to Konrath earlier in the year. I didn't see it but heard it was all Konrath. For Egli to be mentally tough enough to wrestle like he deserved to win instead being happy with second, is impressive. Kudos

Are you sitting at the computer wearing your red and gold shirt booing the screen?  :'(

lucky day, waterfalls is playing so i'm relaxed, but the color of my shirt i'm wearing is blue even though that's getting personal.  For your information as well, i support both wrestlers, but say the match came down to the crowd is ignorance.  Also the right call was made.  I'll give you a scenario.  Me and you are wrestling.. you can't hold me down so it's 1-0 and when you try to escape in third period i grab your leg and stalemate you when you get up.  Wrestling needs to improve in this situation.  There is no control just because you can't break my lock on your leg.  That is my problem.  Even with the current rules we have, that was a reversal, but... this isn't the end of Konrath vs Egli i'm sure soo good luck to both later on.  And maybe you can watch some youtube videos on rules of wrestling and freshen up a bit.  Stay classy my friends.

If it was the referee I think it was he us one

Of the best in the state and a college ref as well.  Its an insult to say he

Would give in to the MD crowd.  I also wonder how many people are complaining have actually read the rule book.

We can have opinions all day long , or days long, that we want on this call, but the thing that is really interesting to me is that you pointed out that this guy is one of the best in college as well. In my opinion and solution to this comes in. Looking at this reversal I think that in college rules you have a leg to stand on for the call that was made, however this is not college. as everyone has pointed out that Egli had the ankle well Konrath had the other ankle above his head and the other arm around his waste. So he may have grounds in high school rules as well either way. OR he maybe confused by the college rules. I know some of you are going to say that I a stupid for thinking that some one could confuse the two rule books, but come on. I think we all seen the replacement refs in the NFL as couple years ago. when you have two rule book to go by you can and will get them mixed up. So here is the solution lets go college rules in high school. 

Also to another point entirely. the statement was made that Egli deserved the 2 pts ten seconds before it had ever got called. if that is true then that did not hurt Egli but Konrath. Because it cut down ten more seconds for him to escape.

So in other words I can't wait for saturday. I love watching these two individually and especially on the mat for 6 minutes together.

We can have opinions all day long , or days long, that we want on this call, but the thing that is really interesting to me is that you pointed out that this guy is one of the best in college as well. In my opinion and solution to this comes in. Looking at this reversal I think that in college rules you have a leg to stand on for the call that was made, however this is not college. as everyone has pointed out that Egli had the ankle well Konrath had the other ankle above his head and the other arm around his waste. So he may have grounds in high school rules as well either way. OR he maybe confused by the college rules. I know some of you are going to say that I a stupid for thinking that some one could confuse the two rule books, but come on. I think we all seen the replacement refs in the NFL as couple years ago. when you have two rule book to go by you can and will get them mixed up. So here is the solution lets go college rules in high school. 

Also to another point entirely. the statement was made that Egli deserved the 2 pts ten seconds before it had ever got called. if that is true then that did not hurt Egli but Konrath. Because it cut down ten more seconds for him to escape.

So in other words I can't wait for saturday. I love watching these two individually and especially on the mat for 6 minutes together.

+1

Couple notes from my perspective on the day. Unbiased view and I am even more of an Egli fan if you must know.

Konrath controlled a lot of the match. Both were on deep shots once each, but Konrath seemed to control more of the ties and hand fights.

As far as the reversal call:

Konrath definitely had the leg still and it was over his head while he was bellied out. Hands were 100% still locked. Egli did have the leg hook but was still extended. He had his hand over the far hip.

In my viewing experience it is not a takedown, nor a reversal, until both hands are behind both arms. That is when I have always seen the 2 called.

In my honest and unbiased opinion, the call should have been a stalemate.

Last 2 notes:

Konrath showed true class. Very VERY few athletes would show half the sportsmanship and class he did. He even started a conversation on the podium with Egli.

Hate me all you want, but if you watch the finals and count the number of 50:50 calls that just so happened to go MD's way, you'd be amazed. There was a ton of talk about the 12th man during the Super Bowl, well that crowd does an awesome job of being the "3rd ref" or "15th wrestler". We can all hate it all we want but nobody could tell me they wouldn't want their own "3rd ref" 

Couple notes from my perspective on the day. Unbiased view and I am even more of an Egli fan if you must know.

Konrath controlled a lot of the match. Both were on deep shots once each, but Konrath seemed to control more of the ties and hand fights.

As far as the reversal call:

Konrath definitely had the leg still and it was over his head while he was bellied out. Hands were 100% still locked. Egli did have the leg hook but was still extended. He had his hand over the far hip.

In my viewing experience it is not a takedown, nor a reversal, until both hands are behind both arms. That is when I have always seen the 2 called.

In my honest and unbiased opinion, the call should have been a stalemate.

Last 2 notes:

Konrath showed true class. Very VERY few athletes would show half the sportsmanship and class he did. He even started a conversation on the podium with Egli.

Hate me all you want, but if you watch the finals and count the number of 50:50 calls that just so happened to go MD's way, you'd be amazed. There was a ton of talk about the 12th man during the Super Bowl, well that crowd does an awesome job of being the "3rd ref" or "15th wrestler". We can all hate it all we want but nobody could tell me they wouldn't want their own "3rd ref"

I am amazed. Through all of this conjecture, supposition and opinion, somehow you maintain an unbiased and honest position!

Are you a judge or some kind of professional mediator?

I am amazed. Through all of this conjecture, supposition and opinion, somehow you maintain an unbiased and honest position!

Well if you cant figure it out I think what he is saying is he could care less who won the match and I agree with his INSIGHT

Boooooo!!! Haha...I kid, I kid.

You know everything he said is pretty darn valid. He is right about Central, Reitz, Mount Vernon, Memorial and Harrison having 3rd ref envy. We don't hate...we just don't appreciate.  Our kids love wrestling and work just as hard as Mater Dei's and getting a match decided by an iffy call is part of life but having 70% (I just made that up) of the iffy calls going for MD while rabid parents are yelling and booing gets a little bit old. But its a part of life that we have been forced to live with. Unfortunately.

Say What,

I appreciate the effort all kids put into wrestling. However, your comment "Our kids work just as hard as MD"......well....I guess I would take that bet any day of the week....

Not to say some kids don't work that hard but as a team, both in and out of season I can guarantee you that the teams you mentioned are absolutely not putting in the same effort that MDs wrestling team does...