Mt. Vernon Tournament 1-18-14

it's a coaches prerogative whether or not to wrestle any kid any time he chooses.  if mt. Vernon fans are unhappy, they should complain directly to the coach or their ad.

if central's coach is unhappy, he should express his displeasure to the mt Vernon's coach.  if he does not receive satisfaction, DONT PUT THEM ON YOUR SCHEDULE.

if you are concerned about mt Vernon ducking your kid, get satisfaction from mt. Vernon's coach.  if you don't get it, DONT PUT THEM ON YOUR SCHEDULE.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Idk of any coaches on here from Central. But i do know that at their conference tournament WhoBerry is wrestling 152. Why not bump instead of forfeit? Hundreds of teams put kids small for the weight in the varsity line up to fill a spot. Why didn't central forfeit their second year wrestler to Konrath then? In both tournaments I went to at Mount Vernon! nobody forfeited to Konrath, Kelley, or Kemper that had a kid just sitting not the bench besides Mount Vernon.

This close to the end of the year why bump Whoberry up to wrestle Kelley and risk him getting hurt... I am sorry but it is to close to sectionals to risk hurting a wrestler. I have watch Kelley wrestle enough to know that you going on the mat with him and "the Funk" that he can pull off there is always a chance of getting hurt. It is not like Mt. Vernon did not challenge their guys throughout  the year and even at this meet. Konrath and Bethel are proof of that, one lost and one won. And of course the coaches made those decisions, if they didn't then those kids wouldn't have wrestled those spots. Just my Humble Opinion ;)

I personally could careless if someone were to FF to a good kid, us fans don't know what the coaches reasoning is for sitting his kid. Maybe he is sick? Hurt? We don't know nor will we probably ever know. That's the coaches decision not us fans. Maybe Mt.Vernon felt like wrestling there first or second year (JV) kid against a state ranked kid wouldn't benefit them. More power to Central for sending there kid out against Konrath. Not sure he learned anything from it other than how to take a beat down? Looking back on previous posts by some of "formerchamp" it appears it is Anthony Williams who does coach at Central well I think? He seems to bounce back and forth between schools. I think he was at Harrison last year? Just not professional like for a coach to call out a school on here, like Hook and Half said he should've approached the Mt.Vernon coach to get his reasoning for not sending anyone out against Kelley or Kemper. Just my opinion, everyone has there own, but I personally don't see the big deal about it.

Idk of any coaches on here from Central. But i do know that at their conference tournament WhoBerry is wrestling 152. Why not bump instead of forfeit? Hundreds of teams put kids small for the weight in the varsity line up to fill a spot. Why didn't central forfeit their second year wrestler to Konrath then? In both tournaments I went to at Mount Vernon! nobody forfeited to Konrath, Kelley, or Kemper that had a kid just sitting not the bench besides Mount Vernon.

I don't think that Whoberry wrestled on Saturday.  He was not available to bump up.

What I find really surprising is, as sophisticated wrestling supporters as the Central fans are, they would find any enjoyment in watching their two state ranked guys wrestle a couple underweight first or second year wrestlers.

Mt. Vernon also bumped up a freshman 126 to wrestle Josh Davis at 132.  There was no dodging going on there, not to mention the Konrath bump up already mentioned.  So this is not a situation where anyone is afraid of anyone else.  The coaches are doing what they feel is right by each individual under their care.  It is not a one size fits all decision, although some of the more enlightened neanderthals on this board probably disagree.

Whoberry wrestled where he did the first time around because it gave MV their best chance of winning that dual meet, which they did.  The second time around Whoberry was injured and did not wrestle that day making it hard for him to bump anywhere.  At the Turkey Classic, Central had a couple of key pills missing from their bottle so they didn't have their anticipated lineup.  The second time around they had these key wrestlers in their lineup which I'm sure made it harder for MV to bump certain kids around to try and win the dual.  Central was victorious the second time.  Are these "NEW" additions to their lineup enrolled at the school in which they are competing for?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.