IHSWCA Coaches meeting this Sunday in Edinburg, minutes

dstruck

Dear IHSWCA Officers and Board Members,

This is my first official email as President.  Most of you know me, so I won’t make a long introduction:

Danny Struck – 16 year coach, currently at Jeffersonville High School, formerly at Greencastle High School.  ISWA State Coach, IHSWCA Vice-President, USA Wrestling Coaches Council.  10 years of football, teach US History, World History and Weightlifting. 

The focus of our coaches association is to be the liaison for the IHSAA and the coaches.  It is my goal to continue the outstanding job that Trent McCormick, Cale Hoover and many others started before me.  Trent and Cale did an amazing job structuring these committees, and now it is time to keep moving forward into our 2013-14 season.    I believe and know that we are all here for kids, and that wrestling is the #1 bond most of us of with our student athletes.  Everything we do on this board is to help kids while using this tool that taught us all so much – wrestling.

Our officers now consist of:

Danny Struck – President – Jeffersonville

Tyson Skinner – VP – Madison

Steve Livingston – Secretary – Cloverdale

JD Minch – Executive Director – retired – formerly of North Montgomery

Please find below the agenda for our August 4 meeting at 1pm  in Edinburg, IN.  A few of our officers have ISWA meetings there that day, and we will be meeting after our ISWA meetings.  At this meeting there will BE NO BI-LAW CHANGES, OR OFFICER CHANGES.  This is strictly a meeting to discuss upcoming events and get the next season in line.  We will be discussing vacancies on the board, and what needs to be done in the upcoming months prior to upcoming events

The location of the meeting isn’t in stone yet.  I will post it on Indianamat.com, as well as email it.  You can text me when the time comes at 812-786-2308 . 

If you can  make this meeting, please let me know, so I will know how big an area to reserve.

All board members should take a look at the various committees and be prepared to serve on at least one committee this season if you aren’t already on a committee.

I would remind all of our officers and board members to register as IHSWCA members for 2013-14 for obvious reasons.  If you will be attending the fall clinic, you could take care of that within the clinic registration process.  If you cannot attend the fall clinic, then please print a membership form off of our IHSWCA website and mail it to JD Minch as soon as possible.  JD’s address is 202 S. Vine St., Crawfordsville, IN  47933.

I want to thank all of you for your dedicated and continued service to the IHSWCA and Indiana wrestling.  We have many positive programs and services available to Indiana wrestling coaches and wrestlers right now.  These services are only made possible because of the efforts of our board of directors and committee members.  I cannot thank you enough for all that you do for Indiana wrestling.

IHSWCA Board Meeting Agenda (8-4-13) Edinburg, IN

• Pass out new board member binders

1. Discussion of last meeting and “summer” events (Danny Struck –with help of Trent McCormick)

2. Financial Report (JD Minch) – do we ever want to try Pay Pal?

3. Fall Clinic update and take volunteers to carry out tasks for this event (Danny Struck)

Date – Oct. 10-11

Site – Warren Central HS

Featured Clinician – Gary Mayabb – and HOPEFULLY Jake Herbert

Lets see if we can do even better with vendors?  Can we at the next two meetings take the initiative.

4. Report on meeting with Robert Faulkens (Danny Struck)

5. Committee reports (Committee Chairmen)

- I realize we may not have a lot of action going on in committees right now as we are coming off of the summer.

- Committee chairs and members should be prepared to present ideas and/or ask questions regarding their committee area at this meeting

6. Are there any By-Law Change recommendations for fall clinic business meeting (Danny)

7. Possible Fall IHSWCA Tournament on October 27 at Brownsburg HS

8. IHSWCA Team State Planning Update (Trent McCormick)

• Date ?

• IHSWCA partnering with ISWA for equipment and staffing

• Need to develop a promotions (media) package (Ideas – Danny Struck)

• Event program options (Ideas – Danny Struck)

• Event sponsorship?

• Event wrestling vendor(s)?

• Discuss event details and personnel

9. UNITE Planning (Sam Riesen) – Sam will not be here – can we get anyone to write an article?

10. Revisit/adjust plan for Regional Reps to start working on increased membership within their respective regionals around the state

11. Fall Clinic observations around the country?

12. Discuss IHSWCA website updates

13. Good of the Order

14. Next Meeting Scheduled for >>>>>>>>>>>>>>  pick September date

Danny Struck

IHSWCA President

Jeffersonville Wrestling

Has their been any talk among the board or at the meetings of trying to recommend a standard set of weight classes for connected middle school programs?  This issue was a highly discussed topic on the message board a year ago including talk bringing it to the board, but I'm not sure it ever made it that far.

Here was one discussion we had on the topic (couldn't find the second one that had additional commments)

http://indianamat.com/messageboard/index.php/topic,26165.0.html

Though the IHSWCA (nor IHSAA) has no official jurisdiction over the MS rules and proceedures, the coaches association endorsement of a standard set of weight classes and its encouragement of HS coaches to talk to MS coaches and ADs about it would go a long way to unifying many of the states MS programs under a particular set of weight classes.  With the difficulty getting timely information from some MS AD's and lay coaches, encouraging a standard set of weight would allow the coaches to focus more on instructing athletes rather than adjusting line-ups.  As pointed out in the earlier discussion, those programs with an abundance of athletes on their MS team can still get everyone mat time by have additional JV/reserve/exhibition matches, or trying to branch out to a V2 team (as some of the high school teams have done). 

It's be nice to have the IHSWCA encourage the standardization of a few other MS items like period times, if their should be a weight allowance given after a certain percentage of that teams season is completed (can't be based on a certain date if MS program in different regions start and end at different times), etc., but the weight class issue seem to be the issue that is the cause of the most inconvenience during the season. 

I will be interested to hear how the Robert Faulkens Meeting went

Was there something of particular interest that was to be discussed during that meeting? Or are you just curious in general? 

Curious in general.

My personal take is the IHSAA wont budge on a majority of needed changes...but we should always argue that the Travel rules are dumb, we should have full wrestlebacks now, and a free weigh in for the IHSWCA Team State should be given...bug them enough they might listen. Danny is a smart dude though, im sure he got some good info and ideas out to him.

Minutes 2013  IHSWCA 8-4-13    (Edinburg, IN)

1. Another Successful NWCA Event at Wabash.  6 of 16 teams were Indiana Squads.  Need to promote the event more.

2. Financial: We will have $12,000 in the IHSWCA account at start of year.

3. Fall Clinic Update:  Gary Mayabb will focus more on a classroom setting and looking to get Jake Herbert for tech sessions.  New format we will try with college coaches with be a coaches round table were they will receive questions over a one hour period.  Clinic will still be at Warren Central High School Oct 10-11th.  Tyson Skinner will take care of contacting vendors for the fall clinic. 

4. Report on meeting with Faulkens:  The IHSAA are planning to cancel the 5th and 6th place matches at both regionals and semi-state due to having regionals and semi-states complaining it took to long to wrestling.

5. Committee Reports: Jim Tonte will replace Aaron Moss as at-Large Representative.  Ratliff made motion, and Coach Hull seconded all were in favor.

6. Team State: Jan 4th is date once again at Westfield.  Need to look into a possible nice program that can be sold at IHSWCA State Duals.  Looking for a possible sponsor that could foot the bill for this program.

7. Unite Mag: Sam will once again be putting this together for the IHSWCA.  Sam is looking for some copy for the first issue.

8. Membership…all regional reps need to stress the importance of membership

9. Fall Clinic Observations:  Looking for coaches interested in traveling to other coaches clinics to see how they are set up to model ours after.

10. IHSWCA Website:  "SUCKS" said Rex Peckinpaugh.  Look into updates

11. New Preseason Wrestling Tourney:  Brownsburg will be hosting Sunday Oct 27th and IHSWCA will put name on tourney.

1. 64 man max per weight class (Double Elimination)

2. First year will be High School Division but will be open to 8th graders.

3. Weights will be class + albs for singlets and shoes

4. Open to all no Qualification

5. 3-1:30 minute periods

6. $25 registration fee. + USA Card

12. Next meeting think about.  Middle School Weights:  IHSWCA will make effort to promote a consistent set of weights across the state of Indiana (Middle school State Weightclasses) and also making 3 Team Indiana squads that would keep same roster and travel to several meets over the summer.

13. Officials: Idea of a possible State wide Officials Assotiation that would be partnered with.

14. Sept Meeting Date: Sept 8th 3:00pm location TBD

Danny,  wordpress.org is a good and easy way to get a website up and its pretty customizabale. I know its what we use for the brownsburg site as well as what is used here at IndianaMat might be worth looking in too.

Also sad to hear abouth 5th and 6th at regionals...the reason people complained was because it was longer for essentially matches that didnt mean anything for 99.5% of the populaiton..If you are wrestling for a legitimate shot to move on I bet people wouldnt complain.

Thanks for taking time to discuss the MS weight classes.  If the HS coaches can help push MS coahrs to adapt this it will help with a lot of confusion and frustration that several MS coaches deal with yearly. 

As far as 5th/6th place matches go I don't believe it took too much additional time in my locations.  It more thab anything maybe a function of tournament organization.  I know several events have ran very late even before the addition of these matches. The old way of determining an alternate (especially for who makes semistate) was poor.  If they are removing the 5th/6th match I'd like to see the alternate be the highest sectional placer to be eliminated during tr first round (tie goes to the regional winners sectional).  In terms of fairest approach and best team score results having true wrestle back at semi-state (at least in quarterfinals on) is still needed, but it we know it doesn't help IHSAAs cash flow to add those matches. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.