Junior Duals Roster

The following are the rosters for the two Duals Teams that will be competing in Oklahoma City at the end of June. We are still looking for individuals at certain weights, if you are interested please contact me about your interest.

Freestyle

100  Cameron Diep

106  Karl Wilheim

120  Cornelius Elliott 66

126  Deondre Wilson

132  Alec Nowural

138  Trent Pruitt

145  Justin Atkinson

152  Shabaka Johns

160  Matt Kelly

170  Eddie Kaster

195  Noah Perdue

220  Georgio Blades

Hwt  Andre Porter

Greco

100  Cameron Diep

113  Gavin McClure

120  Sage Coy

126  Deondre Wilson

132  Trenton Dempler

138  Trent Pruitt

145  Jordon Lile

152  Mathew Ruddick

160  Matt Kelly

170  Eddie Kaster

182  Malcom King

195  Myron Hamilton

220  Georgio Blades

Hwt.  Andre Porter

I am waiting for a couple of replies but if you are interested please contact me

Tom Erikson

Team Leader

terik28901@aol.com

It is my intention to have two complete Teams, as you can see we are going to have several people who double up. As a Team Leader I do not like to do this if I can avoid it. If you wrestle both styles you will get to wrestle approximately 16+ matches in a three day period which has worn out some of best that have competed on the Team. As I indicated above if you are interested or know someone who is interested please drop me an email and I will run it by my Coaches.

As of today we have several possibilities that we have set a clock on to get back to us. If they do not we will be adding at least one individual to the Team 5/30.

Tom Erikson

Team Leader

terik28901@aol.com

As we get closer and closer to camp there may be some changes to the rosters as some of the athletes drop out and some we may add. As I have said I would prefer not to go both styles as it is very demanding and will look to add a person so we do not double-up. Parents and athletes will be kept in the loop as to what I and the Coaching staff are doing and thinking in terms of adding people.

Tom Erikson

Team Leader Junior Duals

The clinicians for the camp have just been posted.  Should be a great camp and event to say the least.  If you are interested in wrestling for the junior team in Oklahoma and training at this camp, there are still open slots available.  Please contact myself or Tom Erikson for more details.

160 and 170 spots still available as several kids backed out for various reasons.  Great opportunity to wrestle for Indiana's national team, compete against some of the country's best, and try and help Indiana win a national title.  If you are going to Fargo, you will see some of the same wrestlers.  If you aren't "ready" for Fargo, this is still a great chance to get at least 8 matches in against national competition.  For more information, please contact myself or Coach Erikson for more details.  160 and 170!

Camp has been checked in and under way! We have a few kids who have not checked in due to commitments (schoolboy duals). We are still missing a few weights for Juniors as you can see from the roster above. If you are interested please contact myself or Coach Hull.

Tom Erikson

Team Leader

It is a shame that we cannot put together solid, full teams to represent our state in this dual. Why isn't anyone stepping up to go? Is it cost? Is it a lack of commitment and dedication from the older wrestlers in the state? If this was an elementary team, there would be a waiting list of people wanting to go.  I just don't get it. 

If it is cost, what can be done to help with that? Someone from another state was telling me that they have the place winners sell raffle tickets or something like that and it covers their cost. That sounds like a great idea. 

If it is lack of interest or commitment, what can be done about that?

This sounds like a good trip and a great, competitive tournament.  I hope the teams can get filled before leaving.

The Junior Team is full as of today.  The new updates will be posted soon.

In regards to the trends, it seems Schoolboy is the easiest roster to fill, Cadets slightly tougher, but yes the Juniors Team is another animal.  Part of  what I've seen/heard (this being my first year) is that many of the older wrestlers are simply living life.  Some are getting ready for college, others are working, some are just concentrating on Fargo, some are burned out, more coaches concentrating on folkstyle, etc. etc.  This is some of the feedback I've gotten as it cannot be narrowed down to one issue.

I do think it would be easier to pitch if the price was lower or taken care of, but that is probably with every age group, and I know enough to know I don't know anything.  I've spoken with some of my buddies around the country, in both thin and deep states, and they have similar issues.  At 18, mom and dad are spent too, so there is more responsibility on the wrestler to provide for themselves (financially speaking), or the wrestler has to either choose between duels or Fargo.

Also, by this time, the Junior's wrestling experience/career is about tapped out for most kids, whereas the Schoolboys have yet to have their H.S. careers, so those kids and families are prone to take advantage of more opportunities as the dreams of being State Champs is still alive and well.

The ISWA has done a great job on continuing to ratchet down the price, especially with inflation, but the economy isn't clicking on all cylinders yet and may not ever get back to where it was.

With that said, on a bright note, there is still an opportunity to reverse this trend.  It was an absolute privelage to wrestle on the Junior team back in the day and I can recount our teams being littered with Indiana's best from top to bottom.  I truly believe we can return to this mindset of it being a privelage to wrestle for the Junior Team, and there are some steps I, along with the ISWA, are continuing to take to make this a reality: making it cheaper for them, providing financial assistance and other opportunities to lower the cost, establishing stronger ties and planting those seeds with the Cadets and their parents, better planning and recruiting, etc. etc.

Nevertheless, Indiana, even though we don't have more of our "well known" names in the line-up, the guys we are taking this year are extremely competitive.  They are excited about the opportunity and are ready to wrestle their hearts out for Indiana.  They understand this is an opportunity to get better and will only help our state get deeper in terms of quality, as many of these kids will definitely be in the mix next year. 

I, and the Junior Staff, am excited about taking these guys to Oklahoma and, whatever happens, will absolutely make Indiana proud.  To the Junior Team: we had a great camp.  Keep training and preparing yourself.  Remember, we will not compete - but we will perform.  We will hit Oklahoma City in style and our goal remains the same: bringing home a National Title!

The Junior Team is full as of today.  The new updates will be posted soon.

In regards to the trends, it seems Schoolboy is the easiest roster to fill, Cadets slightly tougher, but yes the Juniors Team is another animal.  Part of  what I've seen/heard (this being my first year) is that many of the older wrestlers are simply living life.  Some are getting ready for college, others are working, some are just concentrating on Fargo, some are burned out, more coaches concentrating on folkstyle, etc. etc.  This is some of the feedback I've gotten as it cannot be narrowed down to one issue.

I do think it would be easier to pitch if the price was lower or taken care of, but that is probably with every age group, and I know enough to know I don't know anything.  I've spoken with some of my buddies around the country, in both thin and deep states, and they have similar issues.  At 18, mom and dad are spent too, so there is more responsibility on the wrestler to provide for themselves (financially speaking), or the wrestler has to either choose between duels or Fargo.

Also, by this time, the Junior's wrestling experience/career is about tapped out for most kids, whereas the Schoolboys have yet to have their H.S. careers, so those kids and families are prone to take advantage of more opportunities as the dreams of being State Champs is still alive and well.

The ISWA has done a great job on continuing to ratchet down the price, especially with inflation, but the economy isn't clicking on all cylinders yet and may not ever get back to where it was.

With that said, on a bright note, there is still an opportunity to reverse this trend.  It was an absolute privelage to wrestle on the Junior team back in the day and I can recount our teams being littered with Indiana's best from top to bottom.  I truly believe we can return to this mindset of it being a privelage to wrestle for the Junior Team, and there are some steps I, along with the ISWA, are continuing to take to make this a reality: making it cheaper for them, providing financial assistance and other opportunities to lower the cost, establishing stronger ties and planting those seeds with the Cadets and their parents, better planning and recruiting, etc. etc.

Nevertheless, Indiana, even though we don't have more of our "well known" names in the line-up, the guys we are taking this year are extremely competitive.  They are excited about the opportunity and are ready to wrestle their hearts out for Indiana.  They understand this is an opportunity to get better and will only help our state get deeper in terms of quality, as many of these kids will definitely be in the mix next year. 

I, and the Junior Staff, am excited about taking these guys to Oklahoma and, whatever happens, will absolutely make Indiana proud.  To the Junior Team: we had a great camp.  Keep training and preparing yourself.  Remember, we will not compete - but we will perform.  We will hit Oklahoma City in style and our goal remains the same: bringing home a National Title!

The first half of your post talking about why it is so tuff to field a team hit it right on the mark. All of those reasons are so true but I bet if it was a trip that was completely paid for, it would be easy to field a top notch team quickly. That in my opinion is the biggest issue. So why can't fund raisers start right now for next years teams? What would it cost to take a complete team there, hotel rooms, entry fees and get them back home? Surely by starting early a lot could be raised to help with these costs. How about the ISWA charging an extra dollar at every event to get in that goes towards these types of events? Surely there are ways to get a little money at each event and in the end it could add up to enough to at least take some of the burden off the parents.

Then the question comes why is the ISWA raising money for the Junior Duals trip and not Schoolboy or Cadet or Fargo or any other trip they sponsor?  The ISWA throws a hefty amount of money towards ALL the trips they sponsor and distributes it pretty evenly so that no trip is deemed more important than another.

I think we can do some different things. For example, I had dinner donated on Saturday night for the Cadet/Junior Camp by Gary (Iron Bear) Myers from Hamilton Heights. This does not reduce the cost of the trip but does increase what we do for the kids to make the trip more comfortable.

One of the ways to make sponsorship work may not be to sponsor the trip but to sponsor the gear for all the trips. This reduces costs of each trip and gives sponsors some add space (done tactfully) on Team Indiana Gear. I think it can be done, we just have to think outside the box so to speak and find a way to help defer the costs and make the trips more attractive.

Tom Erikson

Team Leader Junior Duals

To answer your question of what the ISWA provides for the duals ($475 one style, $495 both);

Camp at Lawrence North including all meals

Travel to and from OKC

Air Condition hotel rooms with Breakfast

Team Indiana Shirt and Shorts

6 + guarenteed matches (if you stay healthy) and possibly more

It sounds pricey at first but as you break it down it is a pretty good deal considering the amount and quality of the matches you will get.

Tom Erikson

Team Leader

This will be the second year my son has went and the experience is well worth every cent. The quality of matches and coaching staff is great. The price sounds like a lot but what do we spend for a weekend at King Island or a trip to a pro ball game. These kids learn so much that it is well worth it.  Thank you to all the coaches and the ISWA for making this happen at all.

Thanks, DADOF145#er, as you hit it right on the head.  It's a great opportunity and you have raised a great individual and competitor!

However, Indiana, due to a series of unfortunate events we now have 3 openings on the Junior Team Roster that just became available with one week to go:

113 & 182 Freestyle

106 Greco

Indiana, can we pull off filling this spot?  Are there any wrestlers/families in Indiana who have the mindset, will power, and resources to step in on such short notice?

Trust the recruiting process for next year's event has already started.  But in the meantime we need ANYONE in these weight classes, with the resources, willing to to represent to Team Indiana, in Oklahoma, at the Junior Duels, who wants mat time against some of the best competition in the country!

For the record, Skylour Turner is going to be extremely tough throughout his high school season.  He is only an 8th grader and was going to step in and wrestle both Junior 106 Greco AND 113 Freestyle!  That in itself is commendable as he wants the mat time against the best.  After a few summers with Nathan Boston and Deondre Wilson as practice partners at Indiana Pride, he is pretty dialed in to come into high school and make an immediate impact.  Sky, we look forward to your representation and career in the year's to come.  Keep your head up!

But, yes, INDIANA let's FILL THESE SPOTS!!!!!  It's definitely a short notice but if you are interested, please contact myself or Coach Erikson for more information!

106 Greco

113 Freestyle

182 Freestyle

Thank you for this info and your insight, Y2.  We were told by several sources it could, and could not, be allowed.  I didn't think so but heard there was a chance it could be allowed.  We received official confirmation yesterday.  Kudos to the kid for trying to step up and in.  In the meantime, the issue still remains: filling these spots.  Hopefully someone can step in.  Great opportunity for a guaranteed 6+ matches against the countries best while representing our state.  For more information please contact myself or Coach Erikson. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.