The Tebow Rule passed today

TripleB

"In a separate meeting, the IHSAA Board of Directors unanimously approved allowing home-schooled students to compete on athletic teams at the local public school serving their residence as long as certain criteria are met. The measure goes into effect with the 2013-14 school year. It was one of 20 proposals approved during the Board’s annual review of the Association’s by-laws.

The criteria includes: 1) the student, in conjunction with the school, provide proof to the IHSAA that the spirit of the eligibility rules will not be compromised including passing a physical examination and participating in the required number of practices in a given sport; 2) the student must have been home-schooled for the previous three consecutive years; 3) the student completes all state-wide examinations as authorized by the Indiana Department of Education; 4) the student’s family must submit grade information to the school to affirm the student is passing all courses and; 5) the student must be enrolled in the school for which the student is participating for a minimum of one class per day.

“Today, the IHSAA Board of Directors expanded the opportunity for additional high school-aged students in our state to experience the values of education-based athletics,” said Commissioner Bobby Cox. “New rule 12-5 now allows a non-public, non-accredited student the prospect of presenting themselves as a candidate for an interscholastic team under specific conditions. I am very pleased that the Board of Directors has embraced this concept as our Association continues its pursuit of becoming more inclusive while maintaining appropriate academic standards.”

They need to worry about modifying things like the travel rules if they are going to get into some of these random sports things.

Also, does this rule have a rider that says the Jets must send Mark Sanchez out the door with Tebow?  That would make my day.

I am only speaking for my home district, but I don't think our home school kids are allowed to be enrolled for one class and home-schooled for the rest.

How many schools will allow students to take just one class (for which the school will get no state money) in order to have these students on academic teams.

Dane - My youngest attended a small Christian school rather than AC, but he still took driver's ed there. It may have been different since its a 1 semester class and met before regular classes started. I'm not sure a school district can deny a student from taking a class if they live inside the district borders. Maybe an administrator could answer that.

I am only speaking for my home district, but I don't think our home school kids are allowed to be enrolled for one class and home-schooled for the rest.

How many schools will allow students to take just one class (for which the school will get no state money) in order to have these students on academic teams.

We have home school kids in our middle school take band/art.

I have a student that started in our building in the fall, but midway through the semester, started homeschooling, but she continues to come here for just German. My principal told me that this arrangement would not be allowed next year, and that he didn't realize guidance had allowed it this year.

I am very interested in how this will affect enrollment and participation in sports, and also the question of funding, and so on.

I am very interested in how this will affect enrollment and participation in sports, and also the question of funding, and so on.

Yeah I'm not sure if school corporations are or will seek some type of reimbursement for any home school students who may be attending one or more classes at the local school system.  I do know this occurs in some districts already  due to specific offerings (band/choir, drivers ed, AP classes, etc.), but I am not sure how most schools previously handled it and how this may change due to the new funding issues. 

Madison is looking into starting a virtual high school specifically for homeschooled kids.  They will enroll with our school district but will do all their work at home and then just report to the school for testing.  Interested to see if this will fall in line with this since they will be enrolled in our school.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.