Random Thoughts

Fabio Jr.

So as some of you may know I have way too much free time on my hands. This leads me to thinking about a lot of things wrestling being pretty high on the list. Today I was thinking about stupid things the IHSAA does and I just started coming up with views and opinions on it. Felt it was pretty interesting and decided to write some of it down. It's neither professional or any good from a writing standpoint and you may agree or disagree but i thought  I would post it here for others to read when they have a chance or find way too much time on their hands like myself

holla

http://nickwiesjahn.com/?p=12

I am not a Perry guy, but I respect the s* * * * out of their program, and this is total B.S. I am pretty sure the coaches would of like to have everyone involved in that state picture. Its a total shame what the IHSAA has done to the word "TEAM" .

The IHSAA views wrestling as an individual sport.  I do agree with many of the points you address in your random thoughts.  I don't agree with your view of coaches who don't approve of the team aspect or who don't share your views of the team tournament. 

I agree with everything Nick says in this article . As a Penn fan , I can remember going to Center Grove to support Mishawaka in there last team title . It was an atmosphere you don't get at an individual tourney . It was very special when they won , and something I will never forget , an entire room and community celebrating .

I have to agree with shortjay here, you have to remeber that you come from and are part of a program that has most of the intangables to be successful: A supportive community, facilties such as a great wrestling room, access to weights, etc., schools who are willing to go out and get people who will make their programs better, and large student bodies. Many schools don't have this and it is a factor in creating a team state champ.

That being said I love the team format and hate what the IHSAA is doing to wrestling.

I can see your point but it doesn't explain the teams fft most of their teams in the team regional. tTey are not small schools. But thats why the ohio system intrigues me. Let them opt out. no harm no foul.  the teams that want to compete can and the ones who feel the extra mattime isn't worth their effort can do as they please.

Again  to reiterate im not expecting any changes...but these off season months there is a lull here so this may spark some hopefully constructive discussion for us as a community or perhaps the IHSWCA to get some ideas on how to even better the system we are currently forced to work with.

I agree with basing our tournament off ones that are already successful, ie Ohio. The format looks interesting and it could definitely work for us. I would point to the fact that Ohio's population is much larger than Indiana's so we wouldn't have as many programs involved making travel an issue for some but I wouldn't expect that to be too much of an issue for teams who really want to compete. Plus we would have to look into the points aspect, are we counting these towards weigh in points or not. The IHSAA seems to want to hold all sports back by not looking at what is working in states that are ahead of Indiana in terms of talent and competition levels, the travel restriction is a great example of this.

I also agree that I wouldn't expect the IHSAA to do much about this anytime soon.   

1.11) Team Regular Season Contest Limitation (9th-12th grades)

A high school team may compete in a maximum of 20 points of competition.

In order to compete in the maximum number of contests a team schedule

must include at least four dual/tri-matches and no more than 16 points from

tournaments. Teams who are unable or unwilling to participate in dual or tricompetition may schedule a maximum of 16 points. Dual tournaments are not

a substitute for a dual or tri-match. The OHSAA Team Tournament does not

count toward the participation limits.

its been thought of and the appropriate action taken

Hey Nick- I like what you said and, despite your humility, I think you write pretty darn well.  THe "team" pics are also very compelling.  That being said, when we (the wrestling community) point fingers at the IHSAA and team state, we need to remember we played significant part in its demise.  The team state series was always a second class citizen compared to the individual events while the Coach's Trophy and, more importantly, JV rosters at regionals did us no favors.  The IHSAA was certainly the #1 enemy of team state, but many of US were a close second.       

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.