questioning a call

sodakchamp

As a coach i have questioned many calls and will most likely continue to question calls made during matches, but here's my issue. Yesterday at Merrillville during the Denton Fuqua match that protocall was followed properly by the Twin Lakes coach and not followed by the Crown Point coaches. Notice how I said coach for Twin Lakes and coaches for Crown Point. One coach at the table not two. This should not have been allowed. both coaches were intensely questioning the call as I would have for my wrestler, but the assisstant ref should have helped control that by not allowing the assisstant coach to approach the table. This was not the only time this happened, but definately one time that sticks out. As for being told to be quite by a Crown Point fan after yelling "one coach at the table", NO I will not and that is why I'm posting my observations. Lots of great wrestling and afull day of questionable calls.

Ted Lynde

Volounteer Asst. coach

Delphi wrestling

As a coach i have questioned many calls and will most likely continue to question calls made during matches, but here's my issue. Yesterday at Merrillville during the Denton Fuqua match that protocall was followed properly by the Twin Lakes coach and not followed by the Crown Point coaches. Notice how I said coach for Twin Lakes and coaches for Crown Point. One coach at the table not two. This should not have been allowed. both coaches were intensely questioning the call as I would have for my wrestler, but the assisstant ref should have helped control that by not allowing the assisstant coach to approach the table. This was not the only time this happened, but definately one time that sticks out. As for being told to be quite by a Crown Point fan after yelling "one coach at the table", NO I will not and that is why I'm posting my observations. Lots of great wrestling and afull day of questionable calls.

Ted Lynde

Volounteer Asst. coach

Delphi wrestling

Thanks for having the courage to post this.  Your surprised that this was Crown Point?  That's exactly what they do; their other 'coaching' m.o. is to have one of the coaches start working the refs about 5 seconds into the match, holding up their arms, yelling that the other guy is stalling.  This continues until the ref gets off the mat, or until they follow him into the tunnel. 

With the last year in the Semi-final with Kral vs. Robinson. when Robinson took Kral down to his back, these jackwads were on the mat protesting before they even stopped the clock, and then they both worked the ref while the review was being made. That was the worst call I have seen in a State tournament....it goes from a take-down inbounds, and a nearfall, to nothing.

Not surprised, just frustrated that Crown Point coaches and many other coaches from prominant programs are allowed to act in such a manner. Officials don't seem to have a problem telling me or any other coaches from smaller less prominant programs to follow the rules.

Ted Lynde

Volounteer Asst. coach

Delphi wrestling

I think that Jake had to fetch the rule book for vink that's why they were both there.

ihsaa.org - click 'officials' - scroll down to 'become an official'

100 questions, true/false, and you only have to get 75% right...

The wrestling mole will give you a great deal on a gray shirt and your off.

Also, ask an official in your area about the new rating system for selecting officials for advancement.

As a fan and parent, I have seen many blown calls in the past several years. I would like to see a system where the officials could use replay similar to some ideas used in college tournaments.  It is unfortunate but it appears coaches have been able to bully officials into seeing things there way on many occasions. In a world where we have technology available we should be able to use it. Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way?

Video replay has nothing to do with coaches not following protocal and officials not making them follow protocal. There will always be questionable calls, my complaint is two coaches at the bench. If the assisstant coach was delivering the rule book to coach Vlink thats fine give it to him then back away. That's not what I seen. What I did see was two coaches intensely questioning the call as I stated originally.

Also, ask an official in your area about the new rating system for selecting officials for advancement.

Sodakchamp, there is nothing between you and the mat but space and opportunities.  Pony up cowboy.

No feathers, I am a recruiter for mat officials.  You have great ideas.  I want you to take you idea to critic officials' calls on the edge of the mat and implement to improve the efficiency of wrestling officiating.  I hope it works as well/efficiently as this experiment in the freedom of speech we call Indianamat.com.

When you treat every referee's decision as a public opinion survey, what could go wrong?  Or you could take that step of two clicks on the ihsaa.org, enter you payment info, answer 75/100 right (open book) and become a solution to all the ills that poison the fans of wrestling Indiana.  This is an open invitation to anyone, not just the fans of video review that you proposed.  It is a fail-proof plan.

Thanks for having the courage to post this.  Your surprised that this was Crown Point?  That's exactly what they do; their other 'coaching' m.o. is to have one of the coaches start working the refs about 5 seconds into the match, holding up their arms, yelling that the other guy is stalling.  This continues until the ref gets off the mat, or until they follow him into the tunnel. 

With the last year in the Semi-final with Kral vs. Robinson. when Robinson took Kral down to his back, these jackwads were on the mat protesting before they even stopped the clock, and then they both worked the ref while the review was being made. That was the worst call I have seen in a State tournament....it goes from a take-down inbounds, and a nearfall, to nothing.

Someone has sour grapes for Crown Point wrestling. That's all I'll say. lol

Someone has sour grapes for Crown Point wrestling. That's all I'll say. lol

Just that match my man, just that match...However when Jason was wrestling, they were all quiet,

for they did not want to ruin his train of thought, and besides, there is nothing they could add  ;D

You'd think when Kral was wrestling doing his head in the chest blocking offense, while Vlink and his side kick were immediately sticking their hand in the air to work the refs on stalling, they probably thought they were just imitating Tommy Smith and John Carlos: File:Carlos-Smith.jpg  :-*  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Carlos-Smith.jpg

It would be nice to have video replay.  Nobody's perfect in making calls,but if we did Semi-State would have not gotten over till midnight. Both CP coaches were with the ref for 1:10. The right call was made the replay is very obvious it was not a takedown, but it was close in a very close match.  Hats off to Referees  what a tough job.

As a fan and parent, I have seen many blown calls in the past several years. I would like to see a system where the officials could use replay similar to some ideas used in college tournaments.  It is unfortunate but it appears coaches have been able to bully officials into seeing things there way on many occasions. In a world where we have technology available we should be able to use it. Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way?

Not surprised, just frustrated that Crown Point coaches and many other coaches from prominant programs are allowed to act in such a manner. Officials don't seem to have a problem telling me or any other coaches from smaller less prominant programs to follow the rules.

I feel like your beef is more with the refs then the Crown Point coaches.  You pretty much admit here that you have tried to do the same thing, but are not allowed.  It seems the "bigger" schools do the same thing you have tried but they get away with it???  I would say most coaches try to work the officials.  In any sport to be a good coach you have to know how each official works and what you can do to help your teams, individual chances. 

Not really meaning to pick on Crown Point coaches or the wrestling program itself. Mainly just how coaches from prominent programs are allowed to act. So Bruschi my post is actually a dual complaint. Coaches following protocol, like twin lakes coach did; and officials allowing these coaches to act in such a manner as the CP coaches did. Yes I work the officials to try and get calls, but not with two coaches at the table.

It's the coaches' traditional duty to work officials.  Officials understand that.  When assistant officials are available and required, he (they) becomes your only friend and support system.  Most would agree that you will never fully appease an emotional coach or coaches in the heat of competition.  They and their wrestlers deserve the best that you can give, especially with stakes that high and, although they deserve an explanation, there is the point that official(s) must stand by the decision and walk away, returning to wrestlers on the mat.  At that level the repurcussions come later, when you are scratched from the rotation in another match because you call stalling or some other thing on which that coach may focus.  Based on his experience A. Wood's observations are more than salient.  He knows wrestling and people. 

It seems that "ruffling feathers" is an accomplishment to which many aspire in the contentious combative relationship between officials and those who observe them.  We have no feathers and in many cases no hair.

Larry I agree reprocussions do come later via ranking of officials. I'm pretty sure what I seen was misconduct by the coaches that was not controlled by the officials. We get warned about misconduct before sectionals even starts to make sure no one gets to watch the tourney from the stands. Coaches will always work officials but some conduct can not be allowed. Just my opinion.

Ohhhhhhh, snap!!!... The classic you can't complain if you don't officiate...

I hate that argument.......

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.