Evansville Central Sectional vs. Castle Sectional

hook and half

Who ever would have guessed Central High School would have more SIAC Champions than Reitz and Mater Dei?

Some of us did. 

What's more interesting is the number of Big 8 and PAC wrestlers that will likely be coming to Regional as sectional champs.

Lets not forget that had Nathan Wright and Evan Collins been healthy and wrestled Mater Dei most likely would have had 4 champions and Central 2.  Just sayin'.  Who are the PAC and Big 8 guys going to regionals as sectional champs? 

Heritage Hills brings 3, South Spenser 1.  All upper weights.  I am sure there will be one or two more, but not sure what weights.

At least from the Castle Sectional that's what appears to be the most likely outcome.   You never know though.

Depending on the seedings, 126 and 138 could be more interesting, from 2 - 4 spots at least at 126. 

It doesn't take much to say there are going to be some upsets in the Castle Sectional.  The Central Sectional, not so much.  1 - 2 in most weights are there if they wrestle the matches they are capable of.  3 - 4 is what will be worth the ticket there.

I do thing Lane from North is the most improved wrestler I have seen in quite sometime.  He was very smooth in the finals of the SIAC from what I heard.  Putting him on the Mat with the kid from South Spenser would make the Regional a fun day.

I agree that Castle will have more wide open classes with what looks to be on paper more balance top to bottom.  It looks like MD will put allot in the finals if they wrestle to form.

The Castle Sectional is by far the more open on paper.

Yes there are many of the "faithful" that believe it wall be a walk over for one school or another but I have to disagree completely.  There are some VERY strong kids coming from the PAC and Big 8 schools.  Memorial has some strong talent and Harrison has a few kids that can pull out wins consistently.  You have to give credit where credit is due, and those kids have earned their recognition without a lot of talk on the internet. 

I am starting to wonder if we could get away with eliminating the sectionals down here and set up a 2 or 3 day Super Regional!

This new sectional may help MD carry more to SS and State.  Their sectional is weaker.  They will get more first and second place at sectional, which in turn will set them up at Regional.  I can see MD advancing 12 to Regional and 12 to SS.  At the SS level MD will take a beating with 5-6 advancing to State.  (Depending on the Draw)

As to the 195: I heard that the MD 195 (Collins) is going to the doctor this week to see if he can be cleared.  If he is cleared, he should win the sectional.  Hopefully he gets cleared, and he will get to two weeks to get some conditioning before he hits tougher portion of the post season. The Memorial 195 wrestled at SIAC and took 1st. I do not know if he is hurt, but it did not look like he was.

Overall, the SIAC 195 weight class is very weak.  Memorial may be a semi-state qualifier.  MD Collins is a legitimate State Qualifier.  The rest of the SIAC 195lber season will end at sectional or regional. (Barring no huge upsets or strange circumstance like DQ or missed weights)

Right now I would project the Castle Regional representatives to the Evansville SS is:

1. Collins MD (if he wrestles)

2. Salkill (SS)

3. Blake Brown (Memorial)

4. North Posey Boy???

Who ever would have guessed Central High School would have more SIAC Champions than Reitz and Mater Dei?

Anyone that has taken anytime to watch Central wrestle this year could have predicted the Champions.

Too bad the paper focused more on the kids that lost than the kids that stepped up and won.

This new sectional may help MD carry more to SS and State.  Their sectional is weaker.  They will get more first and second place at sectional, which in turn will set them up at Regional.  I can see MD advancing 12 to Regional and 12 to SS.  At the SS level MD will take a beating with 5-6 advancing to State.  (Depending on the Draw)

As to the 195: I heard that the MD 195 (Collins) is going to the doctor this week to see if he can be cleared.  If he is cleared, he should win the sectional.  Hopefully he gets cleared, and he will get to two weeks to get some conditioning before he hits tougher portion of the post season. The Memorial 195 wrestled at SIAC and took 1st. I do not know if he is hurt, but it did not look like he was.

Overall, the SIAC 195 weight class is very weak.  Memorial may be a semi-state qualifier.  MD Collins is a legitimate State Qualifier.  The rest of the SIAC 195lber season will end at sectional or regional. (Barring no huge upsets or strange circumstance like DQ or missed weights)

Right now I would project the Castle Regional representatives to the Evansville SS is:

1. Collins MD (if he wrestles)

2. Salkill (SS)

3. Blake Brown (Memorial)

4. North Posey Boy???

North Posey forfeits 195lbs.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.