Perry Meridian, Indiana wrestling and the national rankings.

Rebel89

I believe Intermat had them around the top 15.  I felt as though a top ten ranking might be attainable for Perry.  Now to have them fall out of the top 20 I began to get the feeling that not only was Perry underrated but Indiana wrestling as a whole was underrated.  Maybe Indiana is good enough to have more than one team in the top 50 in the nation.

Maybe last years team was just better than this team or at the moment more decorated nationally..  Of those Fargo All-Americans a few of them were seniors.  I think PM is one of the top 20 teams in the country, but not sure if this team has the National credentials that last years individuals had..

It would be very hard to replace the national credentials of McKinley and Johnson.. Maybe that is why the slip from 15 to 23.

I do know that having a discussion like this is a good thing.  Whenever a team from Indiana is in national rankings I believe it is good thing.

That's when he responded with the argument that it was difficult to rank Perry because of the lack of out of state wrestling.  I don't disagree that makes it more challenging to rank Indiana teams and others on here agree also.  I just felt then after 5 all americans at Fargo "

Tha's the knock against Indiana, we don't travel very well. I know we have the all the ISHAA hurdles and apparently some AD's are placing obstacles in place of interstate competition,   but somebody needs to find a way to make a few matches happen.  We don't have to butcher schedules, just drop some of the easier matches and find a way to make it happen against a few ranked teams from OH, MI or IL.   I know Perry M probably will be just as outstanding next year,  I hope somebody is trying to put something together now for 14 or 15.  

Here's just a brainstorm idea and criticize it if you want.  Lets take of advantage of Indy's central location and also Perry Meridians current prestigous national standing.    Have a super 6 dual meet in Indy or 8 team dual format.   Invite, some of the regional national standout teams like  St Eds, Graham, Masiilon Perry (OH), Moeller, Montini, Carl Sandburg, Marmon, Detroit Catholic, St Johns, MI.   I think with the big names and cenral location, you could pull it off.    I'm not from IN, but I've seen some of these teams.  And I know they will jump through hoops to go wrestle Nationally ranked competition.

Here's just a brainstorm idea and criticize it if you want.  Lets take of advantage of Indy's central location and also Perry Meridians current prestigous national standing.    Have a super 6 dual meet in Indy or 8 team dual format.   Invite, some of the regional national standout teams like  St Eds, Graham, Masiilon Perry (OH), Moeller, Montini, Carl Sandburg, Marmon, Detroit Catholic, St Johns, MI.   I think with the big names and cenral location, you could pull it off.    I'm not from IN, but I've seen some of these teams.  And I know they will jump through hoops to go wrestle Nationally ranked competition.

Its not that easy its not like they all wrestle cake schedules those teams are at crazy tournaments every week. I would almost equate it to having the al smith every week. Plus to find a weekend that works for all those schools will be a logisitical nightmare...

but if it is not that hard and you think you can do it, I will give you a small push Im sure coach Tonte would love to do this if the Logstics could be figured out

St Eds: http://www.sehs.net/?page=SEHS_Wrslng_Home

St Paris: http://ag-man.com/schedule.htm

Moeller: http://www.ihigh.com/letsgobigmoe/opencontent_13494.html

Masselon: http://perrylocal.org/athletics/schedules/team-schedules/varsity-wrestling/

Carl Sandburg: http://www.athletics2000.com/sandburg/Sport.aspx?nav=s&SportGender=WRESTLING_B

Detroit Central Catholic : http://www.catholiccentral.net/page.aspx?pid=328

St. Johns: A really long url

Marmion Academy: http://www.athletics2000.com/marmion/Sport.aspx?nav=s&SportGender=WRESTLING_B

If you can find a date that works and can get the teams to drop their current obligation, than sir i bow to your greatness

Its not that easy its not like they all wrestle cake schedules those teams are at crazy tournaments every week. I would almost equate it to having the al smith every week. Plus to find a weekend that works for all those schools will be a logisitical nightmare...

http://www.athletics2000.com/marmion/Sport.aspx?nav=s&SportGender=WRESTLING_B[/url]

If you can find a date that works and can get the teams to drop their current obligation, than sir i bow to your greatness

Fabio,

I know it would be extremely difficult to do logisitically. nor would I be in position to pull it off.   I just have a crazy idea and am looking for an advocate.  But it would be cool to watch as an Indiana wrestling fan and its not impossible.  To be honest I would settle for a single dual between on of these teams and Perry Meridian.  No bowing needed either.

Im sure they are not the only team that doesnt take seniors.

1 Glad to see brownsburg got a great wrestling coach have a lot of family in browsburg great community . But it seems you have a chip on your shoulder and are affraid to tell the great teams positive things to say it sounds like you don't have faith in some of our top teams. js

thats the problem...we as a state are not considered good enough to be worth one dual when they can have 2-3 ranked teams in their current setup we need to first prove we can roll and for that we are gonna have to travel, until we beat that hurdle we are stuck

I agree we have to travel to get some respect.  I do think there generally are  2 or 3 teams that could be ranked, but will get discounted due to no interstate competition.    I still think Perry's resume is too good and would peak some interest  from somebody like St Paris Graham.  Graham traveled to New Jersey to wrestle a single dual against Blair, they might want to take a closer 2 hour trip down I-70 and take on an a Perry and probably would only want a reciprocating home and away schedule.    I know Coach Jordan is always looking at re-arranging his schedule so he can make it tougher and take on the best competition possible.

WrestlingFan182:

I know Coach Tonte very well I competed for him at Fargo and against him many times in High School, I have nothing but respect for him and Perry so I dunno where you get off telling me I have a chip on my shoulder random internet guy. I'm also realistic, in Indiana they are untouchable. But when you start throwing in other ranked teams its going to be a dog fight. And those other teams are doing the same stuff PM is doing thas why they are successful. I'm not "affraid" to give them their dues and have done so numorous times.  

Lets face the facts the only way we will have any recognition is when we start competeing with those other programs, winning offseason tournaments is not enough. We need the ability to send our best out to compete with the best and instead of creating new events to do so we need to be able to enter the already established tournaments like the Dvorak and Ironman. Once we can get there and have some success We might get invited to other big Dual Tournies. Its a process but we can get to that level IF the IHSAA would allow our teams to enter those major national tournaments.

Scholar:

Thats the thing though, They will travel that far to dual the Number 1 team in the nation. Those schools were on top back when I was in HS. Perry has been at this level the last 2 years essentially.  Those teams don't know if this is just a good class or if they are as good as they say they are. WE know they are but Graham doesn't so they dont think it is worth it to schedule a match for 2 years if the 2nd year they beat Perry by 60. Again we know thats not the case but we have to convince the powerhouses of that.

I told u i have respect for u and ur bulldog team. I am far from just an internet guy been around The PM coaches and son wrestled for them for years had a lot of great times .I evidently don't know u and you don't know me so i was going by the feeling i was getting from some of your comments i apoligize for the assumptions I would apriciate you get to know me before you keep poppin off negative comments towards me. wish you and your squad all the best

I will "pop off" when someone says something they are wrong about

I said I apologize .Take it how you want I miss understood the way you was refering about some issues my bad. Take the apology for what its worth I have the greatest respect for PM coaching staff and wrestlers was just speaking for what i felt was right were on the same page when it comes to the falcons . again wish you and you team the best of luck

I have to agree with wrestling scholar, Perry needs to showcase what they have now. Who knows where they will be in 5 years but when your in the national rankings you've got to get on the horn and work something out. Someone in that organization needs to try to set something up now for next year. There are just too many nationally ranked teams within 3 hrs to not have ever wrestled any of them. Perry,moeller,elder and EMD would be a nice triple dual.

I have to agree with wrestling scholar, Perry needs to showcase what they have now. Who knows where they will be in 5 years but when your in the national rankings you've got to get on the horn and work something out. Someone in that organization needs to try to set something up now for next year. There are just too many nationally ranked teams within 3 hrs to not have ever wrestled any of them. Perry,moeller,elder and EMD would be a nice triple dual.

I thinnk for all the reasons just described, it will be nearly impossible for pm to simply "get on the horn" and set up a dual with a powerhouse for next season. Im pretty sure contracts with teams run at least two years. What everyone is asking for really isnt possible.

I thinnk for all the reasons just described, it will be nearly impossible for pm to simply "get on the horn" and set up a dual with a powerhouse for next season. Im pretty sure contracts with teams run at least two years. What everyone is asking for really isnt possible.

Really,  "Isn't possible".  I hope you didn't think that way in your wrestling experience, or you wouldn't have one many matches.    Contracts generally get renewed annually.  New schedules get made.  You don't have to butcher you're schedule.  Perry just needs to drop a couple of duals from the teams they spanked 60-6 and add  one of the  nationally ranked teams which are within  reasonable driving distance.  I bet the teams that got spanked would probably be happy to be dropped. 

That's what these nationally ranked teams do,  they try to adjust there schedule so they can test there self against the best competition.  If Perry can find the money to take its whole team to Orlando, it can find a way to drive to Illinois or Ohio.

You're not getting this...

You are right they do in fact set their schedules to face tougher competition.

For a number of those top ten teams perry isnt considered "tough." Regardless of what we want to believe if blair or eds was asked about perry Im sure they wouldnt be too worried. Do I wish that they would dual Indianas best. You bet! But until we PROVE OURSELVES in a Big Tournament no one will waste a weekend of travel. They may be willing to host us but its going to require us to make the moves to find a time in the schedule that works for both teams. I have put out all the mentioned teams schedules and here is  perrys  Tell me who the cupcake is you want to drop...and find a matching day that works for both or all teams.

You need to come to grips that interstate Indiana for the most part is a Joke. We have some individuals but overall people laugh at us. I got it for 5 years in Ohio. and from the level of wrestling i witnessed they are not totally off base. can we prove ourselves? Im sure we can but untill we make a big splash at a national tournament no one will take us seriously.

I don't know Coach Tonte personally and don't know if he even wants to wrestle the afore mentioned teams.  From a fan's perspective it would be great.  Perhaps coach has looked into this dual and it doesn't work for his team because of the scheduling issues Fabio has brought to the forefront.  It's as simple as sending an email or posting on a message board to find out if Paris, OPRF, or Marist want to put a dual together and have interest in wrestling Perry.  It might benefit Perry to wrestle a second tier team in Illinois and put it on them to get some of the big boy's attention.   

The travel rule is a killer, being from NEOhio I can say there is nothing like the Alliance Top Gun or North Akron Ironman they get schools from all over and that's were reputations are built.  The high school we came from was in the same confrence as Mass. Jackson ,Perry, North Canton Hoover and Uniontown Lake on just an eye test PM is just as good and could compete with any of them.  The biggest difference isn't so much the one off tournaments but the dual schedule, it's a killer every time out we were close enough to pull in some of the western PA teams for week day meets also, so it was like playing an SEC schedule in football.

Really,   "Isn't possible".  I hope you didn't think that way in your wrestling experience, or you wouldn't have one many matches.     Contracts generally get renewed annually.   New schedules get made.  You don't have to butcher you're schedule.  Perry just needs to drop a couple of duals from the teams they spanked 60-6 and add  one of the  nationally ranked teams which are within  reasonable driving distance.   I bet the teams that got spanked would probably be happy

So now the truth comes out. Youre just tired of PM running rough shod over Indiana teams and you'd like to see them get their comeuppance at the hands of some national studs. Guess you should become PM's wrestling coach or AD so that you can get their sxhedule changed.

So now the truth comes out. Youre just tired of PM running rough shod over Indiana teams and you'd like to see them get their comeuppance at the hands of some national studs. Guess you should become PM's wrestling coach or AD so that you can get their sxhedule changed.

Come on old wrestler.   The truth is you want things to stay the same.  You want it like the old days.  Wrestle the same schedule, the same format because that's the way it was when you where in school.   You're wrestling world is only the state of Indiana, and can't see the big picture.

I don't have a problem with PM running rough shod over local schools,  but as a fan it is little boring.  I think PM has a lot more to gain than they could lose by wrestling some nationally ranked opponents.   I'm just trying to promote, showcase, and support Indiana wrestling.  I'm just posting progressive ideas  to make it's bigger and better.  I'm not originally from Indiana, but I see it has some quality wrestling and I believe its underrated by some national factions undeservedly.

As you know the PM wrestling coach is doing pretty well, so I don't think need a new coach.    PM might need a motivational coach,  and you would be the perfect guy for that job.

The Intermat rankings for IN posted earlier

http://indianamat.com/messageboard/index.php/topic,24677.0.html

Sure I think PM is being a little slighted by the rankings, but other teams have been proving themselves against top level regional and national competition and Perry hasn't.  Same issue Mater Dei had for years.  It comes down to the IHSAA figuring out it would be worth while to modify the travel rules for all spots.  Sure we still can stay within our 600mile round trip restrictions, but eliminate the part that says team have to come from that same distance radius.   It would allow some top IN teams to compete in some of the top competitions, and it still sticks with the point of the IHSAA rule. (Which is to ensure schools are not fixated on taking big cross country trips especially if they interfere with the school day).

I agree. But its hard to even for Indiana to even compete if we cant even send individuals the best of the best tournaments like the Ironman, the Powerade, the topgun, or the beast of the east because of indianas stupid rules about the travel limits on competition

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.