Wrestlers or former wrestlers making noise in other sports/areas

MattM

I found these while reading through the news.  Being the off-season I figured we had some wrestler/former wrestler related stories connected to non-wrestling events going on around the country.  I'm guessing there are several more out there to add that I haven't came across yet.

Cathedral's Willis competes in international football event

http://m.indystar.com/blogs/article?a=295840382&f=2924

Former Leo wrestler Bayer looking for NCAA track title

http://m.indystar.com/sports/article?a=2012205300342&f=1243

Former Seymour Wrestler becomes Student Body President of Purdue

http://m.purdueexponent.org/mobile/campus/article_418b96db-51a1-5b04-8e5a-b10615762585.html

Madison had four wrestlers do big things for me in track.  Freshmen Nick Palmer and Hunter Sego both qualified for Regionals in Pole Vault, and Sophomore Jordan Partee (semi-state qualifier at 145lbs) has qualified for State in the 4x100 and long jump and finally Senior Ryan Fish(State Qualifier at 182lbs) has qualified for state on the same 4x100 team....side not that 4x100 team broke school record this year also.

* Gelen Robinson, sophmore, Lake Central 

3rd in state, discus

7th in state, shot put

* Tyler Kral, senior, Crown Point

8th in state, shot put

So that means Gelen actually beat Kral at Track State and Wrestling State?  Are we sure he didn't step out of bounds before he threw that shot put...  ::)

Just to update Sophomore Jordan Partee placed 6th at Track State in Long Jump on Saturday then turned around and traveled to Bunker Hill for the midwest Duals and went 5-0 on Sunday.

Not many athletes can claim to be all-state in one sport let alone THREE sports....as a SOPHOMORE!  Quite impressive to say the least for the young man.

I have to agree, 1st Team All-State Football, 3rd Place* in wrestling, and two all-state performances in track and field as a Sophomore (Everyone know's what the asterik is for :) ).  He is a great kid with a great future if he keeps doing what he is doing. 

Growing up, I had the chance to see some pretty good athletes in their youth, high school, or college careers. The three best Indiana High-School multi-sport athletes I could remember are:

1.  Rod Woodson - Ft. Wayne Snider - Track & Field = 4 State Titles, All-State Football in two positions,

Basketball honorable mention all state.  College - All-American at Purdue in Football & Track,

Football Hall-of-Fame & NFL all-Century team

2.  Kenny Lofton- East Chicago Washington High School - Basketball State final four, all-state in track,

went on to AZ to help lead their basketball team to final four.  HOF Baseball career despite playing about

10 baseball games in college.  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Lofton ) Could have been football

star if he played full time.

3.  Tim Stoddard - East Chicago Washington - Basketball State Champs, All-State baseball.  Starter for NC State NCAA Basketball champs, World Series Pitcher for Baltimore Orioles. Stoddard and Lofton may be two of the only athletes to be in NCAA final four and World Series. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Stoddard

Physically I think Gelen has all the tools that those guys had; a natural athlete with size, speed, and guts. When he really learns to perfect the art of practicing, and given another year or two to mature to the finer points of these sports, I think he has the chance to be in that company.  Right now, he is a big baby Huhey..the one difference that will come with maturity, is that those guys mentioned above developed into

just ruthless assassins competitively (in a hard and clean way) in the way they prepared and played.

We saw a little bit of that competitive maturing in the 220 semifinals.  Against a favored senior, and some pretty poor officiating, Gelen did not try to win by burying his head to earn stalling points for a tie & having his coaches work the officials for 6 minutes; no, he tried to win by throwing the sh!t out of the other guy. Some might have thought 'that was not the smart approach and he kept going to the well too often', but I had to give the kid credit for having the guts to keep trying and not back-down, and be a great sportsman about it when it did not work. 

Some might have thought 'that was not the smart approach and he kept going to the well too often', but I had to give the kid credit for having the guts to keep trying and not back-down, and be a great sportsman about it when it did not work. 

One could argue that it did work at one point, which is why the asterisk earlier in the post was there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update Sophomore Jordan Partee placed 6th at Track State in Long Jump on Saturday then turned around and traveled to Bunker Hill for the midwest Duals and went 5-0 on Sunday.

A sophomore placing with 22' jump is pretty damn impressive.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.