Note - a change to Academic All-State

dstruck

Academic All-State

IHSWCA member may nominate any wrestler, based on the listed criteria on the IHSWCA Academic All-State form.

For Junior of Senior Academic All-State

Criteria for Nomination:

1. Must be ajunior or  senior.

2. Must have a 3.25 average for 7 semesters. This is on a 4.0 scale. Please convert to a 4.0 scale when nominating.

*3. Must wrestle in sectionals at some point during your high school career.

4. Must be nominated by a member of the IHSWCA.

Explanation of change ? In an effort to allow our kids that live in academia more chances achieve their academic goals through wrestling we opened academic all-state up to all those that participate in sectionals.  In the past a wrestler had to be a regional qualifier.  The IHSWCA looked at football, soccer, and swimming, and in all cases you had to be on the sectional roster but not participate in the actual game.  In one case we had a coach state, ?The salutatorian was on our team, but took 5th at sectionals, he was the salutatorian of over 500 kids in his senior class, has a full academic scholarship and didn?t get to be honored through wrestling for his academic achievements.?  While not passed by a 100% vote, it was voted on and was passed by a large majority vote.  Those that voted for this change thought it was a positive step in trying to attract more kids from the academic world to step foot on the wrestling mat.  For those kids borderline on grades to step it up a notch and obtain that 3.25 or better, and for local communities to have a few more academic all-states to be proud of.  Our academic all-state requirements are becoming more closely aligned with other sports in Indiana.  

But I guess a kid could have a 3.24 gpa and 3 state titles and not be eligible.

How about we stop watering down awards before thay are a participation ribbon

Considering this is an academic award, I do not see how anything academically has been watered down.

Considering this is an academic award, I do not see how anything academically has been watered down.

I'm pretty sure it's a combination academic/athletic award, or Litty Johnny that never played a sport but is brilliant would be eligible as well.

I'm pretty sure it's a combination academic/athletic award, or Litty Johnny that never played a sport but is brilliant would be eligible as well.

it is a combination award, but the EMPHASIS is on academics....

it is a combination award, but the EMPHASIS is on academics....

And I'm ok with that, open it to all athletes that compete, no other limiting athletic accomplishment. I just don't like the constant "dropping of the bar" that seems to be all the rage.

I really feel like everyone should get an academic award if they can pass at least one class!!!

I always thought they punished me for passing a class because every time I did they made me take another one that was harder. :(

And I'm ok with that, open it to all athletes that compete, no other limiting athletic accomplishment. I just don't like the constant "dropping of the bar" that seems to be all the rage.

I know it is horrific that we are now presumably going to give more kids that participate in this sport recognition for their work on the mat and in the classroom.  What a travesty it is for these kids to be recognized for that work.  Recognizing more kids for their work in this sport will only help increase the reach and help wrestling in the future.  The more kids that can achieve even a little bit of success will pass that along to friends, family, children and grandchildren.  Someone that is not a great wrestler, but very good in the classroom will now be able to able to tell his kids, cousins, nephews, etc when they start wrestling about his days in the room and be able say "while I wasn't the best kid on the team, I was named Academic All-State my senior year."  I know for me personally, I am still upset that my senior year my coach failed to nominate me for Academic All-State because he thought you could only nominate one person.  Even though it would only be a little piece of paper as recognition for it, it would still mean something to be recognized for the effort in the classroom and on wrestling mat.

Needless to say too many people here are worried that we might recognize too many people for something that will get you a lot further in life than being a state champion.  I have stated it numerous times, wrestling should worry more about dying of internal bleeding before we worry about AD's and Title IX destroying the sport.

I think that it is great that a change has been made for recognizing  the state best student-athletes at the sectional level oppose to the way it was in the past. What's the harm in it? I am glad to say in the 10 past years that I have been coaching wrestling at Indianapolis Howe that we have our first Academic All State Athlete in any sport. Senior, Erik Brown and he's an honor student with an overall gpa of 3.7 and he has been accepted to IU on a full academic scholarship.  ;D

First, Coach Brown that is great news, look forward to seeing your team tomorrow.

Second, I'll continue you play Devil's advocate. Why stop at the Sectional level? What about the good wrestler, with undeniable commitment, that wrestles for four years but is in such a good program that he never cracks the sectional line up? Why doesn't he have the chance to be an academic all-state?

First, Coach Brown that is great news, look forward to seeing your team tomorrow.

Second, I'll continue you play Devil's advocate. Why stop at the Sectional level? What about the good wrestler, with undeniable commitment, that wrestles for four years but is in such a good program that he never cracks the sectional line up? Why doesn't he have the chance to be an academic all-state?

This seems like a item that can be at the coaching association meeting that can be brought up in the spring meeting. What school are you with? I will be looking forward to meeting you. Tomorrow will be a good day of action!!!!! for my team.  8)

In my opintion Academic All State should be awareded to those students who excel on the mat and scholastically.  The days of participation ribbons are over by the time you reach your junior and senior year.  Those who can achieve both in sports and academically are few and far between.  Let's honor those who can achieve and make it special.  If you are gifted academically or in a sport you are acknowleged in those fields.  This award should be for those who can do both. 

Why does wrestling have to be more closely aligned to the other sports in Academic All-State?

I liked that the coach had to be a IHSWCA member and the wrestler had to be a Regional Qualifier.

Being a Regional Qualifier did add more to both academics and athletics.

It was said the reason we went to junior Academic All-State was because college coaches said they wanted to see it for recruiting reasons. If thats the case why not make it for State or maybe semi-state qualifiers only? How many of your average Regional Qualifiers go on to wrestle in college

Like what was stated earlier if you want it to be fair to more kids then open it up to all High School wrestlers who have a coach who is a member of the IHSWCA.

In fact, why penalize the kid who doesn't have a coach who is a IHSWCA member - make it open to all kids who wrestle period Junior or Seniors. Why do they have to be a Sectional wrestler?

A lot of kids in other sports never see the field and get Academic All - State - lets more closely aline with other sports in Indiana. Open it up to all kids who wrestle in High School.

If we are going to have a a classed team state next year - why not do a class Academic All-State.

I hear a lot of arguments for class wrestling, why not class Academic All-State?

Class wrestling is supposed to offer more opportunities to wrestle in college, then why not do a Class Academic All - State to give kids more opportunities to get scholarships and wrestle.

I think its only fair if you have Class Team State, you should have Class Academic - All-State.

We do a Class Team Rankings now without being class - why not do a Class Academic State?

If a wrestler satisfies the criteria, does he then automatically earn the recognition?  OR, does satisfying the criteria only permit the wrestler to be nominated?  If the latter, then what are the factors that are considered and their relative weight?

Thanks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.