Coaches with integrity

boyler

Just wanted to recognize South Dearborn's assistant coach Chris Nobbe, who showed great integrity yesterday. At the Madison Cub Classic, during the Lawrenceburg/S.D. 120lb. matach, his wrestler was awarded a takedown. When the period ended he told the referee that he did not feel his wrestler had the takedown but it was the referees call. The referee then reversed his call. He set a great example for the young men participating. 

Gotta say, if I was ever a h.s. Wrestling coach I would never, and I mean never, encourage a ref to reverse a judgement call that favored my kid.  Im not sure I could  look my kid in the eye after pulling a stunt like that.  Now there may be extenuating circumstances in this instance that im unaware of, but as presented, I could never do something so ludicrous.

We have all been on the wrong end of a call.

If the Referee conferred with the assistant ref and decide there was no takedown then so be it.

It takes a lot of courage by the coach to make the call right , even if it hurts his kid.

We all have been here.

Its a fine line between winning and losing.

I think the coach showed a lot of class in this situation.

If you win, but won by skirting the rules - is it really a win?

Wrestling is a none forgiving sport full of heartbreak and discouraging outcomes.

It reflects life like no other.

Some times you win, sometimes you lose no matter what the call.

I think everyone learns from this event, no matter if its the referees call or your failure to succeed.

Its not about the outcome - but the fight to win.

live you win - lose you die - by the rules

right or wrong

its a judgement call

I have rarely, if ever, seen a ref, especially at the varsity level, reverse a call after awarding points, as  every move that scores points is based on the judgement of the ref.  I have no problem with coaches that call the ref to the scorers table requesting clarification but, by rule, the refs judgement cant be questioned and his judgement calls generally stand.  I have coached my sons in off season tournaments and, of course, have seen bad calls go against them and bad calls go in their favor.  Just the nature of the beast when you have humans doing anything, there will be human error.  I have let the refs hear about it when I believe they have made a bad call against my wrestler but thats about where it ends.  If I were to take the extraordinary step of  calling the ref to the table and telling him to reverse a judgement call that initially went in my wrestlers favor, well...., I think that would make me a very poor advocate for my wrestler, at best.  Judgement calls are just that and both sides of the mat live and die by them.  I think you teach your wrestler more about dealing with a bad call that went against them (move on son, life isnt always fair) than you do by going to ref and getting him to reverse a call that went, initially, in your wrestlers favor.  I think a kid would, and rightfully so, look at you and ask "who's side are you on?"

How would you people feel if you were awarded a $5,000 bonus at work and your, "gracious" and "classy" boss told the management that he felt you did not earn the bonus money because you didn't work hard enough, or you didn?t deserve it. You would feel cheated, like I am sure the wrestler did.  Give me a break people. 

What kind of a lesson are we teaching our children?  The only lesson taught there is, that if you work hard and are awarded a "subjective" takedown by a subjective referee, that an adult, supposed coach, can try to reverse your fate if they so choose.  Get out of here.  The lessons coaches should be teaching young men are that: you work hard; you respect your opponent, yourself and your sport.  It is unfathomable to me that people commend a coach for undermining one of his wrestlers when he is out on the mat working his butt off.  Again, a referee?s call is subjective; if I was that wrestler's parents I would be irate that the coach undermined my child's success.  And just to clarify, i am not knocking the coach, i am knocking the people commending his actions, the coach might be a classy guy, I don't know him.  Never undermind your team!

I have rarely, if ever, seen a ref, especially at the varsity level, reverse a call after awarding points, as  every move that scores points is based on the judgement of the ref.  I have no problem with coaches that call the ref to the scorers table requesting clarification but, by rule, the refs judgement cant be questioned and his judgement calls generally stand.  I have coached my sons in off season tournaments and, of course, have seen bad calls go against them and bad calls go in their favor.  Just the nature of the beast when you have humans doing anything, there will be human error.  I have let the refs hear about it when I believe they have made a bad call against my wrestler but thats about where it ends.  If I were to take the extraordinary step of  calling the ref to the table and telling him to reverse a judgement call that initially went in my wrestlers favor, well...., I think that would make me a very poor advocate for my wrestler, at best.  Judgement calls are just that and both sides of the mat live and die by them.  I think you teach your wrestler more about dealing with a bad call that went against them (move on son, life isnt always fair) than you do by going to ref and getting him to reverse a call that went, initially, in your wrestlers favor.  I think a kid would, and rightfully so, look at you and ask "who's side are you on?"

To me it's about learning. If my wrestler got a take down I would rather it be a right take down cause down the road he could meet that situation again and not get the take down and think he got screwed when it is thr right call but because he was rewarded a take down once that way he thinks it's a take down. Also you have to relize South Dearborn and Lawrenceburg are in the same conference and sectional and face each other many times and the coaching staffs have respect for each other. Besides you unless you were there you don't know the situation. I've seen refs reverse there calls a lot esp when the coach that got the favored call admits it was a bad call. Wrestling isn't just about winning and losing it's about shaping the young athletes into adults and teaching them right and wrong. Also not all calls are completly based on judgements in high school. There  some things a ref is suppost to look at when making a call. Like I said unless you were there you don't know the situation. I resepct coach Nobbe and trust that he made the right judgement.

Lets not keep score then, if it is about teaching.  I think teaching a young athlete how to deal with adversity, like when a call goes against you, to handle the situation in stride is a great life lesson.  As an adult many times in life we do not get treated fairly, how one deals with it is important.  So let?s not shed our athletes from the reality of the world.  Like i stated earlier, we need to teach young athletes to respect the sport, which means follow all of its rules, not be an interpreter of referee?s calls. 

Several times I have encouraged the referee to call my wrestler for stalling....if I can't get my wrestler to work hard, maybe the referee can!!!  They always look at me funny and laugh as they give the stalling warning! Often times it results in stalling on both kids.  ;)

Thank you for the compliment, Dr. Oyler.  To clarify (for those who wish for it), the mat clock was a tabletop clock with a very indistinct and quiet buzzer.  In the midst of six mats going on concurrently, it would be hard for an official to monitor the clock sometimes when viewing the action of the match.  Only a JV wrestler was working the clock, and no one was throwing a towel.  I simply helped the official make the correct call in a difficult situation.

To that regard, Coach Gardner's (SD's head coach) practice t-shirts for more than ten years have included the same words on the front.  One of those words is integrity.  Our team even had a conversation at practice on Tuesday about what that specific word means.  We expect our wrestlers to perform with passion (and if you have witnessed me coaching, to say the least, you could call me passionate), win with class, and lose with dignity. 

Life lessons on both sides of this issue, and others on the mat, can be taught to the wrestlers.  If a wrestler gets the raw end of a bad call, we can teach from that.  If he gets the benefit of a bad call and the wrestler knows it, he should not gloat from the victory but feel very fortunate, and we should help him understand that his reaction to a situation is important.  However, as a coach, we are responsible for helping the young wrestler understand why things like integrity are so important in life.  We should all coach because we wish to see the best for kids.  We all should hope that we can model virtues to them that will serve them later in life.  We all will make errors in judgment from time to time while coaching, but, at heart, we must always do things with the best interest of educating kids to be solid adults.

Coach - that is a very understandable and reasonable thing to do.  Letting the ref know he awarded a point clearly after time expired because of a quiet clock and inexperienced table help is something I hope all coaches would do.  The way the issue was presented it sounded like the ref awarded your kid a take down based on his judgement and then you went up to him after the period ended and asked him to reverse the call because you didn't think it was a td.  Clearly not the case. 

Sorry if  my original post was not clear. My intent was to recognize a coach who acted very admirably. I was impressed! This is one of the many reasons I love this sport, because of the great things it teaches all involved.

Coach, I wish you were coaching my kids!  You will have wahoo points coming your way everytime I login from now on.

I am curious how many of us reading this have ever yelled out when we disagree with a call.  After the holiday tournaments around the state I am sure many of us have fresh situations in our mind when we saw a call and we couldn't believe our eyes.  I am sure all of us have let it fly out of our seat in the stands when we see a 'bad call'.  Just as many of us have recognized when our school/son has benefited from a bad call, but we would never think of yelling appreciation for that 'bad call' that went our way.  Thank you, coach, for demonstrating what the word integrity means.  Makes me think how many things we put on t-shirts to show others our team has character, and then we model something completely different.  If I were designing your team shirt next year I word use the word 'karma'.

Thank you for the compliment, Dr. Oyler.  To clarify (for those who wish for it), the mat clock was a tabletop clock with a very indistinct and quiet buzzer.  In the midst of six mats going on concurrently, it would be hard for an official to monitor the clock sometimes when viewing the action of the match.  Only a JV wrestler was working the clock, and no one was throwing a towel.  I simply helped the official make the correct call in a difficult situation.

To that regard, Coach Gardner's (SD's head coach) practice t-shirts for more than ten years have included the same words on the front.  One of those words is integrity.  Our team even had a conversation at practice on Tuesday about what that specific word means.  We expect our wrestlers to perform with passion (and if you have witnessed me coaching, to say the least, you could call me passionate), win with class, and lose with dignity.  

Life lessons on both sides of this issue, and others on the mat, can be taught to the wrestlers.  If a wrestler gets the raw end of a bad call, we can teach from that.  If he gets the benefit of a bad call and the wrestler knows it, he should not gloat from the victory but feel very fortunate, and we should help him understand that his reaction to a situation is important.  However, as a coach, we are responsible for helping the young wrestler understand why things like integrity are so important in life.  We should all coach because we wish to see the best for kids.  We all should hope that we can model virtues to them that will serve them later in life.  We all will make errors in judgment from time to time while coaching, but, at heart, we must always do things with the best interest of educating kids to be solid adults.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.