Yorktown student, parents seek injunction against IHSAA

AJ

As has been said...if it was purely academic what is the big deal about sitting out while your grades improve? When I was in school 2 F's would have made you academically ineligable any way. The fact they are fighting it so hard just proves the point it is not about academics. He is free to go to Yorktown and participate in the academic pursuit but not sports. Had they been able to convice Alexandria it was for academic reasons the school would have signed off and this would not even be that much of an issue.

I wish the young man luck as many of us could probably attest your education is far more important than whether you wrestle or not.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if my feelings towards these subjects are abnormal or not.  I feel like the rules that the IHSAA sets forth places the responsibility on the school's A.D., Principal, and Coach in determining the eligibility of a transferring athlete.  If a school feels like a student is transferring for athletic reasons, the IHSAA backs them up.  While, I firmly disagree with several decisions and actions made by the IHSAA, I feel like this is the correct process.  

As long as High School Principals, A.D.s and Coaches are honest in their decisions, we should not have any problems.  If a student is transferring for athletic reasons, they need to follow the rules, and sit out their year.  These people need to learn some accountability rather than attempting to find loop holes to cheat the system.

If a given family/student moves to another school district, then I am actually not sure that any of the transfer rules (i.e. Grade Point Average, etc) apply any longer.  After all, if a family member would have their job moved to another community (as many local auto workers did, for example) then regardless of the incoming student's GPA, they would be accepted as a non-transfer by having a permanent residence in the school district.

I'm not sure what exactly the case was in the Alexandria/Yorktown dispute.  I'm also not sure how the IHSAA by-laws for transfer apply to those where a student's family moves during the summer to a new school district.

Again, I feel badly for the boy.  If a student can benefit academically from a move that falls within established guidelines, then really who cares about the athletics part -- why punish the child?  There are obviously a lot of issues at play in this case, but it comes across as if the young man is a pawn being shifted back and forth and at the whim of larger forces (IHSAA, 2 school districts)

I believe it means a 2.75 over the past two years, at least that is how it reads to me.

Alexandria has a 7 period day with two semesters a year, so over the course of two years a student could get 28 credits.  If a student received two F's and a D for a class and had B's in EVERY other class over the past two years he would still have a 2.71 GPA for the past two years.

Just to play counterpoint, if he did have B's in EVERY other class but one and has an A in that class, he would have a 2.75 GPA.  Also, if he had A's in EVERY other class, he would have a 3.61 GPA.  Assumptions about his grades have no relevance here.  He could have had all C's in the other class, or all A's.  Most likely a combination of many grades.  This speculation does nothing for the argument because no one knows the grades for sure.

Just to play counterpoint, if he did have B's in EVERY other class but one and has an A in that class, he would have a 2.75 GPA.  Also, if he had A's in EVERY other class, he would have a 3.61 GPA.  Assumptions about his grades have no relevance here.  He could have had all C's in the other class, or all A's.  Most likely a combination of many grades.  This speculation does nothing for the argument because no one knows the grades for sure.

No one knows his grades, but as you can see if indeed that article is true and he had two F's and a D it would be an uphill battle to obtain the 2.75 GPA for out of district transfers into Yorktown Community schools.

Just to play counterpoint, if he did have B's in EVERY other class but one and has an A in that class, he would have a 2.75 GPA.   Also, if he had A's in EVERY other class, he would have a 3.61 GPA.  Assumptions about his grades have no relevance here.  He could have had all C's in the other class, or all A's.  Most likely a combination of many grades.  This speculation does nothing for the argument because no one knows the grades for sure.

If the parents are going to blame the school for his low grades, I would hope they have more than 1 semester's worth of grades supporting this opinion.  If the kid's been pulling A's and B's for the three semesters prior to his current academic struggles, the problem is not with the school.  Alexandria gets it's name smeared so that this kid can wrestle at a different school.  If I was the superintendent, I wouldn't sign his release papers.  If he hasn't been earning A's and B's for three semesters, then it might actually be the fault of the school.  However, if this were the case, he definitely wouldn't have the 2.75 needed to transfer.  :-\

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.