Idaho adds 15th wgt class

TripleB

There's been lots of discussions about new wgt classes on here. I saw this article in twitter and what jumped out at me more than the addition of a 98lb class was how it sounds like coaches and ad's got to add there input on it.

http://m.magicvalley.com/sports/local/ihsaa-tosses-its-weight-around/article_f6b214aa-e994-11e0-93d6-001cc4c002e0.html

A couple statements jump out at me

Jerome High School athletic director and IHSAA board representative Ty Jones estimated the opinion split at ?probably 60/40 in favor? of the new weight classes, while another attendee suggested the proposal was rushed through by NFHS before state officials could consult wrestling coaches on the matter.

Wasn't this on the "ballot" last year?  Not really rushed through if weight class changes were being looked at the year before.

Creating a 15th weight class appears to be some sort of compromise for moving the lightest class up when many wrestlers in the 103-pound class were nowhere near the weight limit.

I am curious where that is coming from unless Idaho is completely different than Indiana.

A couple statements jump out at me

Jerome High School athletic director and IHSAA board representative Ty Jones estimated the opinion split at ?probably 60/40 in favor? of the new weight classes, while another attendee suggested the proposal was rushed through by NFHS before state officials could consult wrestling coaches on the matter.

Wasn't this on the "ballot" last year?  Not really rushed through if weight class changes were being looked at the year before.

Creating a 15th weight class appears to be some sort of compromise for moving the lightest class up when many wrestlers in the 103-pound class were nowhere near the weight limit.

I am curious where that is coming from unless Idaho is completely different than Indiana.

Those dummies in Idaho, what do they know?

Not sure what they mean by a non-mandatory weight?  If both teams have them it becomes varsity and if only one has it the other team would say it's not a varsity weight????

Adding a 15th weight class sounds like a worthwhile idea to explore. Just not sure it needs to be at 98lb.  Seems better if it would involve readjusting the current weights to incorporate it.  It would provide more chances for the middle weight guys and solve the dual tie-breaker issue.  I think somewhere around 103-6 is about as low as is needed for the lowest class and I was 94lb on a good day as a freshman.

Why are people in Indiana giving advice on the weights that Idaho should implement?  If they think 98 will give more of their guys a chance to wrestle who are we to disagree?  Apparently their ADs and coaches agreed that was the best weight to add and I'm sure they didn't just pick the weight out of a hat.  I'd imagine there were stats and research consulted.  I think it's hilarious folks here aren't supportive of a weight added in another state.  I just wish a state like Ohio or PA implemented a 98 lb weight class.  Then what would we in Indiana be saying?

Apparently folks in idaho like ffts or maybe they like watching wrestling when it does occur in a class that does have alot of ffts because they are actually watching wrestling or maybe there aren't as many ffts in the lower weights in idaho.  Find your doppelganger in idaho that hates light freshmen getting and easy varsity letter and he'll feed you the stats on the horrors of ffts in idaho.

There has been recent talk of changing the system in Idaho to a many class system depending on how many forfeits there are at 98lbs. If there were say 14 wrestlers in the  weight than the ideal amount of classes would be 14...with separation of the 14 98lb wrestlers to each class giving these kids with such obvious handicaps the best path to becoming champions...after all it IS about the kids!!!

There has been recent talk of changing the system in Idaho to a many class system depending on how many forfeits there are at 98lbs. If there were say 14 wrestlers in the  weight than the ideal amount of classes would be 14...with separation of the 14 98lb wrestlers to each class giving these kids with such obvious handicaps the best path to becoming champions...after all it IS about the kids!!!

Sounds eerily familiar to the TripleB State Tournament Series I proposed years back.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.