TSkin idea for Team State

tskin

Ok I have been looking at alot of ideas and this is what I have come up with.

Have a two class tourney with 156 teams each (Switzerland Co is adding a varsity program next year)

each class have 32 sectional sites with 4-5 teams

8 regional sites with 4 teams

8 team state finals

Run tourney the week before Christmas with Sectionals on Mon, Regionals on Wed and State on Sat.

If team doesn't have 8 weights filled they FF their match

Your coach must be a member of the IHSWCA to compete

State Finals for both classes are held at same location.  With State Championships held back to back.

You will wrestle a max of 8 additional matches.

ok on my drove home from work crunched some numbers in my head.  I know they couldn't of been that big of numbers.

A way to help fund this IHSWCA Tourney.  Charge every team a one time entry fee of $100.  That would generate $31,200 for the IHSWCA.  Now this money can be used to pay for officials to start with.  Now if we use my above plan, we will need 128 officials for both classes sectionals.  If we pay the officials $100 then that will cost us $12,800.  Now for regionals we will need 32 officials for both classes, and if we pay $150 then that comes to $4,800.  If we run state for both classes together and get 6 officials for this at a rate of $200 that comes to $1,200.  For a total of $18,800 for official fees, and $12,400 left over to use on awards and possible site rental.  And maybe if need be pay a couple IHSWCA members to oversee this tourney.  One other fee sometimes required would be the cost of janitorial service at the school.  And once again with taking the cost of having to pay officials and letting host school keep gate this could be something that could be worked out without having to pay for it.

My idea to get AD's on board would take the cost of the officials of them and we can let them keep all gate if they provide table workers.  So most AD's might see this as a win win in maybe gaining some revenue.  Sectionals with small number of teams might draw more fans to matches but i doubt they would lose money.

Sectionals will have 5 team max so at most their might be one team wrestle three times. 

Regionals you will have two matches so also a chance for good revenue for little work

State will be a huge money maker for the school hosting in my opinion if for no other reason that it will be over holiday break for most schools and it is new.

I think the official pay is very comparable to what the IHSAA pays during the tourney.

To be able to get AD's on board with this we will need to be able to show them how this is possible financially.

Bottom line all schools need to have a coach that is a member of the IHSWCA.  If they are not a member they will not be allowed to participate.  I know it sounds like a harsh statement but I really feel until we have complete membership of at least one member from each school we are not going to have a voice with the IHSAA.

I think some reshuffling could be made and with some sectionals having 5 teams and others 4 you prob could have some wiggle room to adjust.

Hopefully if the IHSWCA decides on a plan whatever it may be then schedules could be worked out.  Possibly if they hosted a meet that day before hand they could be a front runner to host said leg of the tourney.

Hopefully the first week of christmas break could be a good time to work around schedules.  Bottom line to get a all in plan, programs will have to make adjustments to make this work.

Running a team state event before Christmas might be best.  All the plans put forward so far contemplate January tournaments - a recipe for getting snowed out, and then what?

What if we ran the preliminaries before Christmas with the finals after Individual State?  Will the IHSAA permit that?

Bottom line all schools need to have a coach that is a member of the IHSWCA.  If they are not a member they will not be allowed to participate.  I know it sounds like a harsh statement but I really feel until we have complete membership of at least one member from each school we are not going to have a voice with the IHSAA.

I think some reshuffling could be made and with some sectionals having 5 teams and others 4 you prob could have some wiggle room to adjust.

Hopefully if the IHSWCA decides on a plan whatever it may be then schedules could be worked out.  Possibly if they hosted a meet that day before hand they could be a front runner to host said leg of the tourney.

Hopefully the first week of christmas break could be a good time to work around schedules.  Bottom line to get a all in plan, programs will have to make adjustments to make this work.

Is this tournament enough of a carrot to get coaches to join the organization?  Are people going to join the organization if they coach an average team and know they won't be able to win a championship?

Yes I noticed that this years schedule was that way.  The schedule should always start with christmas at least 8 days away from start of tourney.  Or go the week earlier if you want to be safe.

I would jsut like to remind everyone that no matter when this tournament is potentially held, it will conflict with currently scheduled tournaments.  If schools want to participate they will have to make a choice of what is best for their program.

I would like to see this meet move forward and if we could get a all in tourney then yes I  would make sure to work our schedule around it.  Like has been stated several times, for this to work everyone will have to make sacrifices.  I like the first week of Jan but as someone has mentioned we seem to get more and more snow that time of year now so looking for the best time in the season where teams have kids from football and before the snow.  The week before Christmas hit me as a good time since this tourney will have to be run before the Individual State Finals and the week prior to the start of it is typically Conference time.

Sure been nice if we could get the season was extended out a week or two longer.  Then we could just plug it into that time period and the problems would be solved.  Guess that would conflict with some type of basketball issue though we know whose going to win out if thats the case. 

While we are at I'd like to the official start a week earlier to give kids more time to get in shape, learn the basics, and shed the excess weight correctly before the first week of meets.

I mentioned this on another thread but the ISWCA said the IHSAA told them they needed to complete any type of event prior to the start of the IHSAA individual state tournament series.

One complaints about the IHSAA team state series was that it was happening during individual state and thus drew wrestlers focus away from that.  Another complaint was that since the IHSAA state finals was after individual state it did not get as much attention as maybe is should have since people felt the culmination of the year came at individual state.  I believe the team state competition maybe helped if it occurred earlier in the year.  The issue is finding the best time to have it so other important contests like conference tournaments are not disrupted by it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.