Finals: Sims vs Welch

IUBjj171

i was very impressed with Sims through his first 3 matches, the effortless ease that he showed in defeating two undefeated wrestlers ....wow, and a little scary

A comment to his sister...you should be proud!  HOWEVER....what was the deal? before the finals, you came to the Castle section (in your MD shirts,with 160 Sims on the back) and sat down directly behind the Welch Family.

Not sure I would go to the MD section with Castle garb on and Sit down.............

I guess no harm no foul

Congrats John Sims on a good state tourney and a tough season ... Good Luck to u!

My husband road to Indy with a friend of mine and her husband who happen to be big Welch fans. My husband also student teaches at Castle and loves the school. We went over to the Castle side to see about getting his bags out of their car after the meet and for me to say hi to my friend. We meant no disrespect or harm by it and honestly I didn't even think much about it until I read this post.

My husband road to Indy with a friend of mine and her husband who happen to be big Welch fans. My husband also student teaches at Castle and loves the school. We went over to the Castle side to see about getting his bags out of their car after the meet and for me to say hi to my friend. We meant no disrespect or harm by it and honestly I didn't even think much about it until I read this post.

abboyle,

I really wouldn't worry too much about it he's just a pot stirrer.

complete and utter hatred of MD

How can anyone hate MD? Faith, tradition, success, family (I have always liked seeing the same names over and over...Boots,Schafer,Weinzapfel,Goebel,Mayer,Dewig,Jankowski etc.) I suppose the hatred must stem from the rivalries in the E-ville, but as an Indy area wrestling fan I love watching MD.

This was a good match...watched it again on the ihsaa website and it was just as good the second time.  The first period scramble was awesome wrestling by both young men.      I'd say most people enjoyed the match and congrats to both for their great careers.

Good Luck Mater Dei at team state......Hope you win it all.....there

:P :P

Well, I tried to give you some grins, but the emoticons don't seem to be working for me.  Congratulations on the success of both teams on the season and good luck to EMD this weekend.

I

Still wondering when and where I questioned his Injury on here?

Thank u for cheering fo Doug.

I did, beleive it or not, cheer for Lannert and Boots

And to abboyle....I understand why you were in the Castle section....cell phones dont work well in Conseco

asshawke....you have been takeing shots at me for a whilenow...Its not my fault you never made varsity!

I'll be taking shots at you as long as you're taking shots at MD. No one from MD has said anything bad about the Welches or Castle wrestling while you've been slinging mud all season long, in fact we've been behind Castle the whole season except for SIAC an regionals when we're wrestling Castle. MD is one BIG family so if you take a shot at my family I'm takin' a shot at you. Cut the crap and you won't get any back. As far as making varsity I don't have to prove anything to you I know where my blood sweat and tears got me, I've got a lifetime of memories to tell my kids and grandkids who will all be part of the MD family.

I gotta say that I am one who truly was questioning Johns injury by the way he seemed to be dodging Chad all season and to see it happen again at Semi State sort of reinforced it in my mind.

What I witnessed at state was very very cool.  John Sims...you have earned my respect young man. To go through state the way you did was impressive. Your match with Chad was also. You gave it all you had and left nothing on the mat.

Keep your head up because in life, this will be a very small thing. What you did this season will help you later in life. Your work ethic will be good, the way you relate with people will be also. All by being a wrestler. Not a wrestler from MD , CHS or anywhere but just by wrestling. It puts something into a person that a lot of other sports dont.

You will always be able to look back at your years of HS wrestling and pull from that. Not everyone can be a state champion and truly it is a lot of luck and the draw. What you are getting is college paid for with a sport that is demanding but that you like. You will then take what is ingrained in you from wrestling and that great college education you will get and you will great in life John.

Use that college education and be the best person you can be...study hard and wrestle hard and be the person who doesnt live for the glory days of HS but for what the glory days of HS was able to do for you...when you are old like me and cant move like you used too...ha ha

John Iam proud of you and I know the fans of CHS are too..Go get them at Cleveland State brother.....

i believe that sims did all the forfeiting for nothing!! be forfeited all those matches during the season to lose to welch 3-0 ina mtach that he got dominated!!! can you say anti-climaxtic???  ;D

I wouldnt exactly call it a domination...but I agree haha

I gotta say that I am one who truly was questioning Johns injury by the way he seemed to be dodging Chad all season and to see it happen again at Semi State sort of reinforced it in my mind.

What I witnessed at state was very very cool.  John Sims...you have earned my respect young man. To go through state the way you did was impressive. Your match with Chad was also. You gave it all you had and left nothing on the mat.

Keep your head up because in life, this will be a very small thing. What you did this season will help you later in life. Your work ethic will be good, the way you relate with people will be also. All by being a wrestler. Not a wrestler from MD , CHS or anywhere but just by wrestling. It puts something into a person that a lot of other sports dont.

You will always be able to look back at your years of HS wrestling and pull from that. Not everyone can be a state champion and truly it is a lot of luck and the draw. What you are getting is college paid for with a sport that is demanding but that you like. You will then take what is ingrained in you from wrestling and that great college education you will get and you will great in life John.

Use that college education and be the best person you can be...study hard and wrestle hard and be the person who doesnt live for the glory days of HS but for what the glory days of HS was able to do for you...when you are old like me and cant move like you used too...ha ha

John Iam proud of you and I know the fans of CHS are too..Go get them at Cleveland State brother.....

I have gone back page after page to see where "thestick" was doubting his injury...and what I found was you Grap...glad to see John finally proved himself to you!  Proud of all the wrestlers this week-end...what a great run for E'ville SS!! Wahoo for this post (I'd give you 7 if I could!)

How can anyone hate MD? Faith, tradition, success, family (I have always liked seeing the same names over and over...Boots,Schafer,Weinzapfel,Goebel,Mayer,Dewig,Jankowski etc.) I suppose the hatred must stem from the rivalries in the E-ville, but as an Indy area wrestling fan I love watching MD.

first and formost......congrats to both the boys..  Both  fine  young men and  outstanding wrestlers..  Both have brought alot of wins and joy to their schoools and the southern indiana area.  As far as the hatred toward Mater Dei,  I dont think the hate is towards the kids. For me,  good wrestling is good wrestling. No matter the uniform.. I really hate to believe thats the case.  Its more toward the obnoxious people in the stands wearing the mater dei attire.  since they do bring the numbers they can get louder than most.  And with any school theres always those obnoxious people in th stands, Mater Dei just seems to have a few more than most schools.  Combining their success (which breeds obnoxiousness) , their superiority in numbers, and the trips out to the car between matches,  they get more animated the longer the day gets.  I've seen the MD crowd boo rival kids,  curse rival kids.  I'd say 90% of the MD crowd are good to go.  I've had a few barley pops in the parking lot with several and they seem to be alright.  But theres that few that spoil the bunch.. 

i believe that sims did all the forfeiting for nothing!! be forfeited all those matches during the season to lose to welch 3-0 ina mtach that he got dominated!!! can you say anti-climaxtic???  ;D

In fact it is difficult to say "anti-climaxtic", which is why it isn't a word.

Sadly, though, your orthography is better than your reasoning. Sims didn't forfeit all those matches during the season to duck Welch, as certain incorrigibly ignorant Welch fans (and that is not all of you) continue to claim. You just refuse to let your opinion be shaken by the inconvenient facts of the case. So let's walk through this one more time.

First, look at Sims's history: he placed in the top six all four years of his high school career -- his freshman year that required the 14 year old John Sims to wrestle the day after the death of his father, who, as you can imagine, was a huge part of his wrestling life. He is not the type of person that shrinks from a challenge, and if you would take a look at the scores from all of the matches between these two, you will see that John had little reason to be afraid of Welch. That claim is ridiculous.

Second, Welch was not even involved in most of the matches that Sims missed this year. Look at his record at the start of the tournament and compare it to that of his teammates that were permanent starters:

10 - 2 Sims

27 - 3 Brandenstein

28 - 1 Boots

26 - 4 Lannert

So if we say he had the opportunity to wrestle about 30 matches, and he wrestled 12 instead, by your thesis we have to assume that he was slated to wrestle Welch a good 18 times during the regular season. I have heard of rivalries, but that would have been spectacular indeed. I am assuming (though perhaps I shouldn't) that I don't need to list MD's schedule to show that this is not even close to true.

So, in the end, we have a young man who is among Indiana's most decorated wrestlers in this year's class, who had shown for 4 years an incredible willingness wrestle in difficult circumstances, yet had missed about 60% of his matches in his final season, and you would have us believe that the most reasonable explanation for his forfeits is the fear of one wrestler he had wrestled competitively in the past. You are out of your mind. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.