Incoming Freshman for 2011-2012 Season

MOGILLIS

BRANDON JAMES: Will be a Total Stud next year after sitting out a year.

I am sure that there are some current 8th graders who will not be attending HS next year as well. They are holding back... ;)

sitting out  what does that mean?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is always an interesting topic. It is very intriguing to consider holding kids back. If I were to do it, it would be as a single parent. ;)

Seriously though, it is a very personal decision that I'm sure was not an easy one to make and even more difficult to carry out. All things considered, given the fact that kids that hold back won't be able to compete during the High School season with kids their own age due to HS rules, and will have to compete at their age level in national events. While the kids that move on seem to have a better chance to develop wrestling a full HS season. It may not always be the bang for the buck that people expect. That being said, they are all very good kids and I wish them the best of luck!

Someone needs to keep a list of all the kids who have been "held back" in the 8th grade and then compare how they do with the kids who progress through school on a normal time line.  See not only how they do athletically but socially and academically as well.  Let us not forget also that if all the legislation passes on education reform some kids might graduate from HS in three years.  Am I Wrong?!?

Wouldn't have to hold your kids back if you would just let them grow.  The people talking about holding their kids back cut 5-10 pounds all the time for every tournament.  Now the kids are too small for 103 "in the parents mind of course".

So your telling me PARENTS  are purposely holding their kid back a yr for the sole purpose of wrestling?  I love this sport to death and have been involved in it for over 35 yrs but trust me its not that important.  I have heard this done in the past but never really looked into it.  Im lost and just askin questions.  Ok  is it mostly wrestlers who may be too small for 103 their freshman yr?   

I'm really glad this topic has come up as my family is going through this right now. My son is a very young 8th grader (June birthday). He loves wrestling and is getting better every year. He is not great but I would say he is above average as of now. Physically he is imature not a hair on him (haha) and he weighs low 80's. I have spoke to him about his options and he wants to stay back and continue to train and get bigger so he has a chance in high school. I really struggle with this as he gets good grades and I'm not living through my kids as I didnt even wrestle in high school. His goal is to become a college wrestler my goal is to support my son in whatever he wants to do in life. I would appreciate any advice or comments from this community as I've been discussing this allot with coaches and our family. Thanks in advance for the advice or comments.

I'm really glad this topic has come up as my family is going through this right now. My son is a very young 8th grader (June birthday). He loves wrestling and is getting better every year. He is not great but I would say he is above average as of now. Physically he is imature not a hair on him (haha) and he weighs low 80's. I have spoke to him about his options and he wants to stay back and continue to train and get bigger so he has a chance in high school. I really struggle with this as he gets good grades and I'm not living through my kids as I didnt even wrestle in high school. His goal is to become a college wrestler my goal is to support my son in whatever he wants to do in life. I would appreciate any advice or comments from this community as I've been discussing this allot with coaches and our family. Thanks in advance for the advice or comments.

I'm in the same boat, above average wrestler barely 90lbs and no sign of puberty anywhere to be found. Unless he begged me and came up with a great argument (which he wouldn't) there is no way I would consider keeping him back a year for wrestling. If he is going to wrestling in college it will be because of how he wrestles leaving high school, not how he wrestles entering high school. Wrestling is the greatest character building sport there is, let him gain some more character, not age/weight.

@wrestler 60160   im with your logic......  lol   @CPdogs.  I can understand your situation.  especially with the late birthday.  My thinkin is this... If it werent for the sport of wrestling would this even be brought up?  With him only weighing 85 lbs as an 8th grader  him wrestling in college where the lowest wt class is 125.  is gonna be hard.  Not impossible but hard.  Good luck in your decision.. and goods luck to your son

Its seems this has been more prevolent each and every year, until the IHSAA changes their rules people will push it to the limit. I mean come on kids graduating at 20 years old! Seems to me there are more important issues in the kids life than being a stud wrestler or football player. If kids want to wrestle  in college they will find a way to do it. I think most of the time it is mommy and daddy who want junior to be the "best ever". What kids ask to be held back?

I do know for a fact that the three (3) 8th graders mentioned earlier will be 18 years old at the time of the state finals their senior year. All are young in their grades and if they repeat 8th grade, that is their families' decision, not the school's, nor the IHSAA, and certainly not any forum posters.

FACT: Until you attend your 1st class in HS (in August), the IHSAA has absolutely no control over whether a family decides to hold-back their child and attend a private school or be home schooled. Once the child attends that class as a freshman, he/she falls under the auspices of the IHSAA and must adhere to any/all rules.

I do know for a fact that the three (3) 8th graders mentioned earlier will be 18 years old at the time of the state finals their senior year. All are young in their grades and if they repeat 8th grade, that is their families' decision, not the school's, nor the IHSAA, and certainly not any forum posters.

FACT: Until you attend your 1st class in HS (in August), the IHSAA has absolutely no control over whether a family decides to hold-back their child and attend a private school or be home schooled. Once the child attends that class as a freshman, he/she falls under the auspices of the IHSAA and must adhere to any/all rules.

arent they  supposed to be 18 yourtheir sr yr? 

I personally am not against holding kids back. Some are held back at 5th grade because they are not ready mentally for middle school. At 8th grade some aren't ready mentally or physically to go to high school. And I think their is probably been a lot of 19 year old state champs.

I think everyone should get all of the facts before they judge people.  There are many factors that went into this desicion.  If anyone knows my son, then they know his background and that English is his second language.  We wanted to make sure that he was fully prepared for high school before he attends.  Just because he is a good wrestler does not mean he is totally ready academically, socially, or mature enough to attend high school.  It is a decision that my wife and I have discussed from day one and the decision was made easier when my son's best friends were going to stay in the 8th grade as well.  Parents have every right to decide what is best for their children and we feel we are making the best decision for our child.

I realize that there are some people on here that are asking legitimate questions regarding this topic. So I will first respond like this, to each there own. Do what you feel is right for your own son or daughter. You can contact me anytime.. I am holding Drew Hughes back for a year , call it redshirting or whatever you like. We are doing what is best for our son. You may all speculate whatever you like.  If you have legitimate questions on us doing this contact us at any time. This was not a decision that we took lightly. We did out homework and are going into this with our eyes wide open. Now those of you who just speculate on why we are doing this. You can also contact me at anytime. I would love to hear from "ifonly" because your comment on us cutting him 5-10 pounds every tournament made me laugh. You I have alot to say to. You sir are a joke who has no clue what you are talking about. And you quiet honeslty hit a nerve with me. I take offense to anyone saying I cut a 85 pound kid that much. In my house noone misses a meal. I am VERY aware of how weight cutting works. I also did my homework on that. If by chance he needs to lose a pound or 2 (like he did ONE time this year). We do it in a nutritionally correct way. So you saying that we cut him all the time is nothing but a joke. If you want feel free to come over and I will show you my cabinet that is dedicated to protein drinks for Drew gaining weight not cutting weight.  And for you who say that wrestling isnt that important thats funny too.. then why dont you stay off the message board  commenting on OTHER peoples kids being held back a year and go worry about your own. And yes I do realize that there is more to life than wrestling there is football...lol

Also, those who claim my son will be 19 when he graduates.. You should do your homework first.. My son will be 18 when he graduates HighSchool.. They changed the deadline the year he started school and he is the youngest in his class by far. He missed the deadline by one week. Also if Indiana changes the deadline like they talk of he wouldnt even be able to drive himself to college.

Sincerely, Cyndi Hughes                                                                                  Kenhughes7@sbcglobal.net

Hey genious, did you ever hear of bulking him up??? Did you ever hear of eating and drinking as much as you can before you weigh in so you can go up a weight class?? and since you asked I will tell you why he went 85 pounds on Saturday.. Well we got asked for him to go 85  and he checked his weight and he was 87.. That was after dinner..  In case you dont know thats what you have to be with your stuff.. So guess what he cut out all junk for a few days and skipped his protein shakes did'nt even break a sweat. I am not a rookie, I know more about nutriton then you will ever know. I take offense to you or anyone saying that I cut him more than a few pounds. So say what you want but you are WAY off on this one.. But I am willing to bet that there is more to your crap talking than my sons weight. Im not sure that my son has lost in Indiana in a long time. So I guess it is safe to say that there is more to your animosity than meets the eye. Maybe your son has a loss in the books I would love to check track wrestling myself to see, but we all love to talk crap just are not all brave enough to state our real names....just saying

Hi,  I held my youngest son back.  Preston is on young side and would have graduated at 17.. almost 18 , but we ddi this going into K.  Patrick still weighs 85-90  but is only currently in the 7th grade we are lifting now in hopes that he will be 103 or more in two years.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.