Who is this years sleeper pick???

ontherise219

I think you are right.  However, it's only because 171 is having a once-in-quarter-century historically weak group at Merrillville.  That isn't Coddens fault.  It is a fact, though.

I am assuming you mean 171 is weak other than the Delphi kid.  Because if you are including him in the weak pool of wrestlers you're nuts.  This kid is on a mission, and I don't see anyone in the state beating him except for Stein from Princeton.  And I think that will be a good match.  As far as Coddens being a sleeper pick that's not a bad call, but in the ticket round he will have to avenge an earlier loss to Winkle of Twin Lakes, that is if both win their first round matches.  Not saying Coddens won't do it, but he will have to wrestle better than he did the first time against Winkle.

I am assuming you mean 171 is weak other than the Delphi kid.  Because if you are including him in the weak pool of wrestlers you're nuts.  This kid is on a mission, and I don't see anyone in the state beating him except for Stein from Princeton.  And I think that will be a good match.  As far as Coddens being a sleeper pick that's not a bad call, but in the ticket round he will have to avenge an earlier loss to Winkle of Twin Lakes, that is if both win their first round matches.  Not saying Coddens won't do it, but he will have to wrestle better than he did the first time against Winkle.

The loss to Winkle was very early in the year.  I don't think Coddens has lost since he forfited 3 losses at Al Smith.  It looks like he is on a mission to prove something to somebody who said he's not ready.  Also, I don't see 171 being weak overall, there may have a couple wrestlers that pulled some upsets or they are just peaking at the right time.

Good Luck to all!!!

Nate has improved so much since that lost to Winkle. He is 42-6 on the season & is dominating right now. Besides, Winkle has a tough 1st round match with Manning of River Forest. Coddens will be walking in the parade of champions next friday night.

Three from McCutcheon. Sumner has turned his season around, Ford has been definately overlooked, and Griffin is finally healthy and raising some eyebrows. All three could place at Indy. 

I agree!  Griffin is very impressive, strong and technical.  He is definately one of the top 8 kids in the state at 135.  Good Luck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.