Do you want the Genius Ratings?

maligned

Last year, with Y2's excellent help, I spent an unmentionable number of hours over a 2-week period compiling the Genius Ratings (computer generated predictive ratings for all 300+ schools based on teams' scores in all matches and tournaments).  Then, I spent another large clump of hours trying to fulfill my promise to update them post-sectionals--but couldn't get it done.  I was very disappointed and felt I let people down.  However, I've looked back through posts and run searches for mention of the ratings.  I don't find much discussion at all about them.  No one even asked--hey, where are the genius rating updates that were promised? 

So, I just want to know, before I embark on putting together a better system and getting ratings together as more data comes in through the season, do people care much about them?  It's a much bigger task than I'd hoped, and I want to be sure people got something out of it before I move forward this season with getting help to make it work more smoothly.  Thanks for any input!

Go here http://www.indianamat.com/genius-ratings-version-1-0/2010/01/ for the explanation and here http://indianamat.com/stuff/genius1-1.html for the actual ratings.  These ratings were pre-sectionals including every single result posted anywhere on indianamat.com plus many others turned in by coaches independently.

I did really like the info and the rankings.  Though I'm sure it was a huge uphill battle to get enough team record info to make the Genius Ratings accurate.  Meet results are just not publicized all of the state like high school basketball and football are.

Obviously, the more information there is, the better.  However, even with just 4 or 5 accurate results from a team, you can get a very good picture of where they should be slotted in the 'Potential' rating system (points-based, high predictive ability).  Last year, we had much more than that for almost every team.  In fact, I would say we had more than 50% of a team's total results in about 2/3 of all cases.

With the 'Reward' system that ranks based on wins/losses only, you really need more than just 4-5 results to get a fair picture. 

Y2 is working on a computer program that will make the data entry much, much easier.  If we can get the program off the ground, we will definitely do the rankings again.  It will take a 2-3 weeks to have enough data and time to get it rolling, but we're working on it.  Thanks for the feedback.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.