Hoosier Heritage Conference

goul149

Ulrey has a Tough match first round with Mogollon.  I am not taking anything away from Ulrey but Mogo is a tough wrestler.  I do not know why this is his first meet.  It might be an advantage for Ulrey but we will see. 

At 189 I know that everyone thinks Early will challenge for the title and I am not doubting he has not improved from last year.  The boy from Rushville is not a pushover.  I do not think that Rushville's schedule  is that weak.

Ulrey beat Mogollon but got beat by Rushville kid.  Rushville got reversal in the last 20 seconds to win 4-2.  Rushville 189 lb got beat and first round by MV kid with losing record.

Poynter got beat by Yorktown kid.   Yorktown looks awesome advancing all but 160lb into the final round.   New Pal has 4 (140) Corman, 145 Reidling, 160 Jennings, and 171 Phelps.

how bad did the yorktown kid beat poynter? And i'm guessing that Yorktown has the lead with NP second?

Unofficial results (For the Logan crowd) - names straight from program, may be incorrect 0r missing.

Congratulations to the Yorktown Tigers on their impressive win today!

1. Farrell ? Greenfield Central

2. Bevans ? Yorktown

3. Wise ? Pendleton Heights

4. Maggard ? Rushville

5. Fee ? New Palestine

6. ?

1. Todd ? PH

2. Gonzales ? Delta

3. Phillips ? Y

4. Wright ? NP

5. Eastman ? Mt. Vernon

6. Messer ? R

1. Anderson ? Y

2. Anspaugh ? Shelbyville

3. Tran ? NP

4. Philbert ? PH

5. Wilson ? R

6. Raffaelli ? GC

1. Bevans ? Y

2. Eshelman ? PH

3. Williams ? S

4. Rose ? MV

5. Estes ? R

6. Ingle ? NP

1. Jackson ? Y

2. McCarthy ? MV

3. Elsea ? NP

4. Mayhugh ? GC

5. Whiteley ? PH

6. Clark ? S

1. Hiestand ? Y

2. Hunter ? R

3. Mogollon ? MV

4. Ulrey ? NP

5. (D or PH)  ?

6. (D or PH)  ?

1. Corman ? NP

2. Rensch ? Y

3. Newkirk ? MV

4. Ruff ? GC

5. Sanner ? PH

6. ?

1. Harper ? Y

2. Riedling ? NP

3. Hope ? MV

4. Nicholson ? PH

5. Branson ? S

6. Hillen - ?

1. Smith ? Y

2. Geer ? MV

3. Stephenson ? PH

4. Robinson - NP

5. Boucher ? S

6. Miers ? R

1. Jennings ? NP

2. McGenley ? GC

3. Tackett ? MV

4. Higgins ? Y

5. Moffitt ? PH

6. Komlanc ? R

1. Castner ? Y

2. Phelps ? NP

3. Flannery ? R

4. Gruell ? GC

5. Stilwell ? PH

6. Dunkleberger ? S

1. Brown ? Y

2. Early ? GC

3. Poynter ? NP

4. Schafer- D

5. Myers ? MV

6. McClurg ? R

1. Balbach ? MV

2. Neff ? Y

3. Smitherman ? PH

4. Geralds ? GC

5. Uhls ? S

6. Young ? NP

1. Janney ? Y

2. Gray ? R

3. Ross ? MV

4. Bryan ? NP

5. Prol ? PH

6. Wilburn ? GC

Yes the Gonzales and Todd match was a good one!  They both left their hearts on the mat, good for them.  The "so called questionable takedown" that Gonzales hit was clearly out of bounds; seen it in person and on film.  Official and side official made a great call.  However, Todd takes Gonzales to his back in overtime making the final score 10-5 in O.T; not 7-5.

Yes the Gonzales and Todd match was a good one!  They both left their hearts on the mat, good for them.  The "so called questionable takedown" that Gonzales hit was clearly out of bounds; seen it in person and on film.  Official and side official made a great call.  However, Todd takes Gonzales to his back in overtime making the final score 10-5 in O.T; not 7-5.

But that same ref  gave Todd a 2 point takedown when they were clearly out of bounds.  They are both great wrestlers, but it wasn't called the same for both wrestlers.

Normally, I wouldn't get into a conversation about ref calls...  especially since I really have a huge respect for both these wrestlers.

But... I saw the tape, too.  (And rewound it again and again in slo-mo, to make sure.... cuz I originally thought the denial of points was a bad call, too.)  

The difference between the calls was... when Todd was awarded two points, he started the move in bounds, and was still in bounds when he gained control.  When Gonzales was denied his two points, Mason was already out of bounds, and then Gonzales had to circle out of bounds before he could gain control.

This was a great match though... and could have gone either way.  If they meet up again, it'll be a barn burner, for sure!

The whole point of the regular season is to get matches in preparation for the post season... Both of them will take something from this match and will benefit from it. Yes, I disagree with the reversal that Todd was given in the first period. Yes, I thought Stevie had a takedown in OT. But, I am biased and my opinion doesn't really count since Stevie is my brother. The only results that really will count at the end of the year is who is at conseco and where you are standing on the podium. Good luck to both wrestlers throughout the rest of the year.

Navy Gonzo,

I agree with you totally; when you stated that the whole point is for kids to get great matches, preparing themselves for the post season.  Mason and Stevie battled it out for sure; and I hope they BOTH have a great showing come tournament time.  I stress to kids each and every day to distance themselves from the opponent, that way questionable calls from an official is not a concern.  I know you have been around the sport for a long time, just like I have.  Sounds like you have a humble opinion & you are also right that conseco is what counts!  Good luck to Stevie...he deserves well.

103 Farrell is tough, top 8, Bevans deserving of State qualifier

112 Todd win in O.T, either he or Gonzales could have won, both close at state placers 5-8

119 open weight, but Anderson of Yorktown wrestled good and won

125 Bevans Yorktown dominated a very good Eshelman 13-0, I believe Eshelman only had 2 loses prior

130 JACKSON Yorktown the monster fall over McCarthy state ranked

135 Hiestand Yorktown tech fall a strong Hunter of Rushville

140 Corman of New Pal with a 1-0 dec over Rench of Yorktown, could have went either way

145 Harper of Yorktown controlled Riedling New Pal 8-2 before a DQ by official with :21 left, maybe cussing

152 weak weight, Smith of Yorktown

160 Jennings of New Pal is tough, maybe 6-8 at state

171 Castner of Yorktown very surprisingly put it on Phelps of New Pal 8-1, both could be state qualifiers

189 Brown of Yorktown handles Early of GC, Early won Connersville so nice win for Brown who was a #4 seed, also beat Poynter 11-3

215 Balbach MtV nice win over Neff of Yorktown, Neff had a great O.T. win over Smitherman in semi's

Hwt JANNEY dominated a very good looking Gray from Rushville whom only had 1 loss

Yorktown won team title by 90 points and looked like a team ranked #5 in the state. I believe all 14 weights placed top 3. Their 112lber is tough but behind Gonzales and Todd. Pendleton Heights as always ran a great tourney with good announcing.

throwforfive,

The biggest surprise with New Pal's Phelps at 171 Saturday was that he was in the lineup at all.  We had a pretty nasty bug float thru here last week and Mike was still sick.  It would have been a much better match if he had any gas in his tank.  Hopefully we'll see a rematch down the line.

yes we know Early didnt win Connersville he got beat by one of the best in the nation. 171 and 189 both very interesting. Early out all week with the flu looks very weak and gasses and Phelps also sick gets handled. I would call them both upsets.

I didn't mean for my post to come off as if I was bragging on Michael or slamming on the young Mr. Early.I think he is a very good wrestler for only being a sophomore. I was just responding to what Throw for five put in the post right above mine in the 189 result area.No disrespect to anyone sorry if it came off that way.

Is Michael going 171 for the tournament?  I am sure inquiring minds would like to know.

I'm really not at liberty to say at this time if I told you Michael said he would have to kill me :-X He said that I can tell you after the sectional tourney.But if it is anything like last year He will ban me from this board before sectional until after state.I think that was one of the toughest months of my life it was definitely tougher then when I quit smoking :)

103 Farrell is tough, top 8, Bevans deserving of State qualifier

112 Todd win in O.T, either he or Gonzales could have won, both close at state placers 5-8

119 open weight, but Anderson of Yorktown wrestled good and won

125 Bevans Yorktown dominated a very good Eshelman 13-0, I believe Eshelman only had 2 loses prior

130 JACKSON Yorktown the monster fall over McCarthy state ranked

135 Hiestand Yorktown tech fall a strong Hunter of Rushville

140 Corman of New Pal with a 1-0 dec over Rench of Yorktown, could have went either way

145 Harper of Yorktown controlled Riedling New Pal 8-2 before a DQ by official with :21 left, maybe cussing

152 weak weight, Smith of Yorktown

160 Jennings of New Pal is tough, maybe 6-8 at state

171 Castner of Yorktown very surprisingly put it on Phelps of New Pal 8-1, both could be state qualifiers

189 Brown of Yorktown handles Early of GC, Early won Connersville so nice win for Brown who was a #4 seed, also beat Poynter 11-3

215 Balbach MtV nice win over Neff of Yorktown, Neff had a great O.T. win over Smitherman in semi's

Hwt JANNEY dominated a very good looking Gray from Rushville whom only had 1 loss

Yorktown won team title by 90 points and looked like a team ranked #5 in the state. I believe all 14 weights placed top 3. Their 112lber is tough but behind Gonzales and Todd. Pendleton Heights as always ran a great tourney with good announcing.

Phelps was pukin in the locker room before his match.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.