Sectional Question

duck_and_run

Why are sectionals not set up with equal number of teams?  Some only have 8 teams while others have 12 or 13.  I imagine its because of travel distance, but it still gives a tremendous advantage to those who have only 8 teams to get there kids on to regionals and furthur. 

It is because of travel.  Also, only 3 sectionals have 8 schools.  In these, they average 4 large, well-funded schools.  There are then only 4 sectionals with 12 schools.  All of these have either 4 or 5 large, well-funded schools.  All other sectionals have 9-11 schools.  Of course there are discrepancies in the quality of schools at different sectionals, but it's not as bad as it seems on the surface.

Basically comes down to travel/distance issues more than anything.  The same type of issues existed in the top 2 format system too with some sectional haveing several teams and others only having 4 or 5.   I'm more at issue with how less important regionals have become since 4 kids from each sectional go on to regional and then only have to win one match to make semi-state.  Aside from the IHSAA making money on it I'm not sure why they haven't found a way to get out of one round of the tournament series or redistrict to smaller sectionals again with only two advancing.

Basically comes down to travel/distance issues more than anything.  The same type of issues existed in the top 2 format system too with some sectional haveing several teams and others only having 4 or 5.   I'm more at issue with how less important regionals have become since 4 kids from each sectional go on to regional and then only have to win one match to make semi-state.  Aside from the IHSAA making money on it I'm not sure why they haven't found a way to get out of one round of the tournament series or redistrict to smaller sectionals again with only two advancing.

Only three wrestlers make it from Regionals to Semi State, so each wrestler has to win two matches at Regionals to advance to the Semi State. The wrestler has to win his first two matches to move on, or win lose win to move on.

Only three wrestlers make it from Regionals to Semi State, so each wrestler has to win two matches at Regionals to advance to the Semi State. The wrestler has to win his first two matches to move on, or win lose win to move on.

I think someone took a year long nap.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.