Team Rankings 12/13

decbell1

What a tough set of rankings this week. Spots 2-6 are really up for grabs.

One note: I start from scratch every week and never consult last week's rankings to do this week's. That being said, I try to look at each team's entire body of work for the entire season each and every time I set up these rankings. Also, there are a lot of results missing from some of these teams, and I can only go by what I have been given.

1. Mishawaka (11-0)

2. Perry Meridian (9-0)

3. Evansville Mater Dei (10-0)

4. Merrillville (12-0)

5. Castle (5-1)

6. Crown Point (5-1)

7. Bloomington South (10-2)

8. Portage (7-3)

9. Franklin Community (9-3)

10. Evansville Reitz (2-0)

11. New Palestine (13-2)

12. Roncalli (3-3)

13. SB Clay (8-1)

14. Yorktown (17-1)

15. Carmel (2-0)

16. Lawrence North (7-3)

17. Cathedral (5-2)

18. Pike (7-3)

19. Warren Central (2-2)

20. Jeffersonville (7-3)

Also under consideration: Bellmont,  Munster, New Castle, Penn

Rankings are a joke . An undefeated team drops out of the rankings after destroying the field at two invites ?

Although answering back with sarcasm or your rudeness would be much easier, I'll just reply with facts.

Penn has not wrestled anyone yet to show me they belong in the top 20. "Destroying" teams that are not anywhere close to the Top 20 doesn't show a whole lot. I guarantee that all 20 teams in this week's rankings would have won the Charger Invite.

As previously stated, I don't look at the previous week's rankings when I rank the current the top 20.

If it's any consolation, Penn was #21, and Jeffersonville, although losing three times, had a very, very strong showing at Jasper this weekend, and is definitely deserving of a Top 20 Ranking.

Are there any more spots that you want to bash, or are you only picking one team a week?

Rankings are a joke . An undefeated team drops out of the rankings after destroying the field at two invites ?

If they are a joke go undefeated all year to prove it that way. Until then respect a guy who gives a lot of time doing something others do not want to do!

Dcbell just a little info on Reitz, they went 7-0 at the hill classic to start the season. They also beat Evansville North at North 53-3 and as you know won Zionsville. I noticed you had them at 2-0 in your rankings. Great job!!!!!!! I wouldn't want to do it but you do an excellent job! ;)

OK help me understand this:

Crown Point Loses to the Number 1 team in the state and is  #6

Castle Loses to the #4 team in the state and is ranked #5

They both have one lose in terms of dual meets and CP was ranked above Castle for the first 3 or 4 weeks of the season I am just really confused with the logic in that ranking.   :-\

OK help me understand this:

Crown Point Loses to the Number 1 team in the state and is  #6

Castle Loses to the #4 team in the state and is ranked #5

They both have one lose in terms of dual meets and CP was ranked above Castle for the first 3 or 4 weeks of the season I am just really confused with the logic in that ranking.  :-\

I believe he has stated twice that he doesn't consult last weeks rankings and instead judges the body of work for the entire season.  In his judgement Castle is better than CP right now.  If TCU and Alabama both finish the year undefeated, it's going to come down to judgement as to who is number 1.

Just a quick fyi on Castle info...they went 5-0 at the Castle Invitational (two weekends ago) beating North in the finals.  I don't know the final score, but their only loss was at 103 by fall.

Keep up the good work.

I believe he has stated twice that he doesn't consult last weeks rankings and instead judges the body of work for the entire season.  In his judgement Castle is better than CP right now.   If TCU and Alabama both finish the year undefeated, it's going to come down to judgement as to who is number 1.

Y not Texas and TCU?  :P

Although answering back with sarcasm or your rudeness would be much easier, I'll just reply with facts.

Penn has not wrestled anyone yet to show me they belong in the top 20. "Destroying" teams that are not anywhere close to the Top 20 doesn't show a whole lot. I guarantee that all 20 teams in this week's rankings would have won the Charger Invite.

As previously stated, I don't look at the previous week's rankings when I rank the current the top 20.

If it's any consolation, Penn was #21, and Jeffersonville, although losing three times, had a very, very strong showing at Jasper this weekend, and is definitely deserving of a Top 20 Ranking.

Are there any more spots that you want to bash, or are you only picking one team a week?

Didn't mean to bash , just questioning your removal of a team that made your preseason top 20 , then gets removed for not losing . This didn't make sense , because there are a bunch of teams in the rankings with 3 losses . After all , this is a discussion board isn't it?

Didn't mean to bash , just questioning your removal of a team that made your preseason top 20 , then gets removed for not losing . This didn't make sense , because there are a bunch of teams in the rankings with 3 losses . After all , this is a discussion board isn't it?

The teams with three losses are probably from teams ranked high than them. Like for new pal, they lost to pike, but now new pal is ranked higher than pike because they beat roncalli, that was ranked higher than both of them.

Even if your undefeated, you probably didn't beat teams that are as good as some teams on the top 20 did.

Discussion is fine.  Calling someone's work a joke is most definately bashing even if you didn't mean it.  Remember that decbell does this service for free (well, I think he got a t-shirt out of the deal) and it appears that he gives the rankings a lot more thought than many of the coaches that voted in previous polls.

Discussion is fine.  Calling someone's work a joke is most definately bashing even if you didn't mean it.  Remember that decbell does this service for free (well, I think he got a t-shirt out of the deal) and it appears that he gives the rankings a lot more thought than many of the coaches that voted in previous polls.

I wasn't talking about his rankings , I was talking about rankings in general , in any sport . There is usually not enough info on every team to properly rank them . Usually though , in almost every ranking i've ever seen , the teams that keep winning move up , and the teams that keep losing move down , regardless of who you play .

But I think that is why they are a joke.

As an avid follower of my Alma Mater, Butler. I know that no matter whom Butler beats, as long as they win their game in a week, and a team in front of them loses (to anyone), that Butler automatically moves up ahead of them. This is what makes rankings so bad. If you keep basing it off of the previous week, then it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I did not try to cut down on discussion, I actually appreciate the fact that so many people pay attention to them. I would just like to see people point out holes in the rankings, rather than making a somewhat vague and negative remark, that's all.

Hate to harp on this but you said rankings are a joke and than gave an example from this specific set of rankings.  You definately gave the impression that you were calling these rankings a joke.  I see your point and agree with you at some level.  If you would have asked the question that way, a much better discussion would probably ensue.

I really like how decbell does not look at previous rankings.  I hate that system because it does not allow for teams who win to fall in the polls.  These rankings give us a truer sense of who the best teams are RIGHT NOW. 

Thanks for the rankings Decbell. I enjoy checking them out each week. Can totally appreciate how you rank them and not looking at the previous weeks rankings, but instead looking at who wrestled who and how they performed. I think your rankings are pretty much dead on as usual. Thanks again!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.