SIAC thoughts

mtv2112

I agree completely, but I'm not at all familiar with Reitz's team and was curious who their studs were.

Reitz returns a solid core of kids.  For my money Reitz and Castle match up very interestingly.  Every match will be the match to watch in a dual between those two...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Westsiders always say that and reitz does well in individual but MD always overtakes them, though it is close. And castle seems to always run second to MD when it comes to individual. This year is looking to be different, but i dont know if Reitz would be able to take them unless they come up big in bonus points

1-2) Castle and MD toss up

3)Reitz

4)Memorial

5)North

Westsiders always say that and reitz does well in individual but MD always overtakes them, though it is close. And castle seems to always run second to MD when it comes to individual. This year is looking to be different, but i dont know if Reitz would be able to take them unless they come up big in bonus points

1-2) Castle and MD toss up

3)Reitz

4)Memorial

5)North

The thing to remember (obvious to most I am sure) is the fact that the SIAC is an Individual Tourney.  Mater Dei won it last year by cleaning up in the wrestlebacks.  That is the way most tourneys are won, so it's no secret formula for success.  The over all strength of the conference, or lack of it, is what can determine the enventual champions.  Teams that can provide solid 3rds beating Castle, Reitz or MD for those spots are what can swing the championship one way or the other.

Last year it was all about the bonus points from pins and TF's that gave MD the edge.  It was that close.  The bottom line is MD performed when they had too.  They won it and that's how it will be remembered.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I disagree. This may be somewhat of a stretch, but I have seen all the the schools wrestle. In the individual tourney atmosphere with the spread of talent, I believe Castle will be on top with Reitz coming in second and MD or MHS at a close third. The talent seems to be spread out among the schools. I know at a few weight classes we have three way (A beat B but lost to C; B beat C but lost to A). It should make for an interesting tourney.

Castle seems to have the most potential number one seeds, and when you take a few from reitz and a few from memorial it could be dangerous for mater dei. (MD only has a few- studs- and it seems they have fallen to either a castle, reitz, or mhs wrestler).

Reitz has several studs, but only beat MHS by 10 and ousted Md by a narrow margin. It will definately come down to matchups. DONT BE SUPRISED IF CASTLE comes out on top, Reitz second, and MD and Memorial fighting it out for third.

1.  Reitz - They will place all 14 in the top 4.  They don't have any real weak weight classes.

2.  Mater Dei - Always win matches they aren't expected to win and will place 13 of 14.

3.  Castle  - Will have more champs than anyone (my guess is 5) but will only place 10 or 11 of their 14.

When the touranment is over, then we will see how well decbell did with his team rankings!!!

1.  Reitz - They will place all 14 in the top 4.  They don't have any real weak weight classes.

2.  Mater Dei - Always win matches they aren't expected to win and will place 13 of 14.

3.  Castle  - Will have more champs than anyone (my guess is 5) but will only place 10 or 11 of their 14.

When the touranment is over, then we will see how well decbell did with his team rankings!!!

Who doesn't place for Mater Dei?

Ok...after a quick look at the brackets...This is really looking more and more like a bloodbath in wrestlebacks.

There are some VERY able wrestlers coming out of each program.  As always with the SIAC there are going to be some very spirited matches and some kids are going to get beat that no one thought would lose in that round or to that opponant. 

Man I cannot wait for Saturday!

Ok...after a quick look at the brackets...This is really looking more and more like a bloodbath in wrestlebacks.

There are some VERY able wrestlers coming out of each program.  As always with the SIAC there are going to be some very spirited matches and some kids are going to get beat that no one thought would lose in that round or to that opponant. 

Man I cannot wait for Saturday!

I'm seeing some great potential for upsets. Saturday will be some great wrestling

189 from Mater Dei is being overlooked. He is a freshman who was just brought into varsity a few meets ago. Kid has a huge heart and will not lose easily. I think he will surprise you.

I don't get on here very often, but I feel the need to make a comment.  Wrestlingguy you must have never participate in high school athletics or been around high school athletics because HEART is everything. I will take a kid with big heart anytime!!!!

Just my 29 years of experience with high school athletes speaking here.

I don't get on here very often, but I feel the need to make a comment.  Wrestlingguy you must have never participate in high school athletics or been around high school athletics because HEART is everything. I will take a kid with big heart anytime!!!!

Your right. My son was in a JV Tournament tonight he was 2-1 in matches and wrestling for 3rd. He was down 4-1, he was gassed, but the 3rd period was starting. He tries hard he has alot of heart for he is only in his 2nd year of wrestling; he comes back gets a 5-4 lead, and with 25 seconds PINS his opponent. so dont say Heart isnt anything! it is alot , it gives you the stamina to finish, to give it your best shot!  Some call it a gut check, its the same thing. Heart  will give you that last shot of energy to finish and do your best.

I guess a passion to win, the drive to prove ones metal, and the spirit to compete don't mean much either.  You know the more you think about it why do we have wrestling or any other sport at all?   Heck why do people even bother living?  I mean it takes heart to meet your everyday life head on and sometime it takes guts and more than a fair share of luck also....

That's it, I say we abolish the human race based on the comments of one poster here....

WHAT A DOPE!!!!!

I don't get on here very often, but I feel the need to make a comment.  Wrestlingguy you must have never participate in high school athletics or been around high school athletics because HEART is everything. I will take a kid with big heart anytime!!!!

Well Said Coach!!!!

Thanks to everyone on the heart comments...As a mother I see many unranked kids that make a big difference in team meets.  They are not expected to win but work so hard and many times help win. I think we all need to stay positive for those that might not be lucky enough to get ranked...You never know who reads these posts or what a difference we can make for someone...Best of luck to all teams !

189 from Mater Dei is being overlooked. He is a freshman who was just brought into varsity a few meets ago. Kid has a huge heart and will not lose easily. I think he will surprise you.

No to mention...his momma was a Boots...so he's got some blood too :)

I stand corrected.  Sort of.  My point was that heart alone won't win.  It takes much more than just that.  Heart is just one component of sports along with passion, desire, determination, discipline, work ethic, athleticism, and mental toughness.  I apologize if my statement was misconstrued and offended some of you.  It did not come across to some of you as it was meant.

I stand corrected.  Sort of.  My point was that heart alone won't win.  It takes much more than just that.  Heart is just one component of sports along with passion, desire, determination, discipline, work ethic, athleticism, and mental toughness.  I apologize if my statement was misconstrued and offended some of you.  It did not come across to some of you as it was meant.

I took your comment as you meant it because it seems that, of all sports, heart is a given for every wrestler.  Wouldn't you just have to have heart to go through a wrestling practice, to go out on the mat by yourself and face whatever the other guy has, walk off after losing and have to face your teammates knowing you didn't come through.  All that takes heart.

People like to say things like "he has a big heart, he is a beast, that kid is tough, blah, blah, blah."  I don't think Coach Harmon would let a kid wrestle for him if he didn't have heart.  Heart is a given.  What is really important is skill, stamina, how any weight cut is affecting them, are they mentally ready, are their emotions in control, do they have a plan and can they execute the plan, how do they respond when things don't go right.  The kid with the biggest heart is the one that goes out to wrestle knowing he doesn't have all the other traits but still competes, still makes the effort, and still gives of himself.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.