SIAC thoughts

mtv2112

How about some discussion about the SIAC conference?  There should be some excellent battles with Castle, Reitz, and Mater Dei the traditional top three (not necessarily in that order).  Can Castle follow up one of their best season ever with another solid showing, will Mater Dei be able to return to the top, and Reitz is supposed to be loaded for a run at the top as well.

I will throw out a final order of Mater Dei, Reitz, then Castle, if just to wake bluebolt out of his slumber.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's gonna be tough for MD.  They are going to be young again.  Of course they have Sims and Henderson, but they are going to have some young talent in the upper weights.  MD also will have Boots, Weinzapfel, Schroeder, Appel, Adler, May, Maurer, and Brandenstein.

Reitz has most of their team returning with a good jv team from last year.  You look at Kuhn, Moody, VanHook, and Rueger in the lower weights, that's tough to beat.  You add Boyle, King, Dowty, and Wimpleberg to the lineup and it looks good.

As for Castle, they will have 3 Welch boys, Rosebrock, Daugherty, Weikel, and Brown.  Sure they lost several good seniors, but they still have a solid lineup.

It is going to be a great year for wrestling in the SIAC.  I still think that MD can win because i think their schedule will make the younger wrestlers better.  However, this may be Reitz's year to pull it out.  It all depends on match ups for all the teams.

It's gonna be tough for MD.  They are going to be young again.  Of course they have Sims and Henderson, but they are going to have some young talent in the upper weights.  MD also will have Boots, Weinzapfel, Schroeder, Appel, Adler, May, Maurer, and Brandenstein.

Reitz has most of their team returning with a good jv team from last year.  You look at Kuhn, Moody, VanHook, and Rueger in the lower weights, that's tough to beat.  You add Boyle, Dowty, and Wimpleberg to the lineup and it looks good.

As for Castle, they will have 3 Welch boys, Rosebrock, Daugherty, Weikel, and Brown.  Sure they lost several good seniors, but they still have a solid lineup.

It is going to be a great year for wrestling in the SIAC.  I still think that MD can win because i think their schedule will make the younger wrestlers better.  However, this may be Reitz's year to pull it out.  It all depends on match ups for all the teams.

It is always interesting to see how the returning kids fill out the weight classes.  A guy that once dominated at a weight class may end up in a stacked class and, of course, the opposite may be true.  Then again, the further you get in the tournaments the more "stacked" things get.

It's going to come down to who worked harder in the offseason, and everyone knows MD always works hard. After tasting success I suspect Castle is going to kick it up some, so I would say Castle/MD is poised to be a good rivalry. Reitz is another solid team, but I see them getting third.

Prediction: The SIAC will end up a lot like the Lawrence Central sectional, 2 powerhouse teams and lots of other great talent making for a very tough trip to the top.

What about the other schools? ( North, Central, Memorial, Bosse, and Harrison). I know Harrison and Bosse will be the last 2 teams in the SIAC another year. But who will get that fourth spot? Memorial or North. Will there be any studs from these other 5 teams?

Harrison has Dylan Hall and Zach Wolf.

North still has Drew Sulawski and Tony Mendoza.  They are improving.

Central had a good 130 from last year.

I think Memorial will be 4th in the SIAC.  They have Sandwith, Adams, and several other starters from last years team.  Their 130 last year was tough until he had his concussion. 

Harrison has Dylan Hall and Zach Wolf.

North still has Drew Sulawski and Tony Mendoza.  They are improving.

Central had a good 130 from last year.

I think Memorial will be 4th in the SIAC.  They have Sandwith, Adams, and several other starters from last years team.  Their 130 last year was tough until he had his concussion. 

Harrison's only good wrestler will be Dylan Hall unless he has the same thing that happened to him last year in semi-state. Zach Wolf only made it to regionals because he went up a weight and got a lucky draw.

North does still have Drew Sulawskie and Tony Mendoza. Is their 160 back though?

Memorial does have some good kids coming back.  They also gain little Wedding.

• 2 weeks later...

Wolf will give most of the SIAC all they want whenever he wants it bad enough. I've known him a long time and wish I could have coached him a little more as he grew up, good kid. Can't count Hall out, especially at 103 if he can stay there.

That North 160 was a Freshman last year.... hahaha You will have to deal with him for a few more years. Tough as can be and loves to brawl. Obviously Sulawske and Mendoza will be in the mix, it's up to them how deep they go this year. North has some other tough kids in the room too... Steele should make some noise around the SIAC. He is pretty tough to beat whenever he chooses to work. I'd look for ATLEAST one state qualifier from the huskies.

Reitz will be solid, especially if all the pieces fall into place. Lower weights are a lot of fun to watch... Hard workers and they push each other from start to finish.

Just me two cents on the matter... ;D

• 3 weeks later...

Harrison's only good wrestler will be Dylan Hall unless he has the same thing that happened to him last year in semi-state. Zach Wolf only made it to regionals because he went up a weight and got a lucky draw.

North does still have Drew Sulawskie and Tony Mendoza. Is their 160 back though?

Memorial does have some good kids coming back.  They also gain little Wedding.

Wolf was seeded 2nd at 30 not a lucky draw!!!

Reitz looks to be the sleeper for most people.  They are bringing back a solid core of kids and look to be one great squad on paper.

Castle will have some interesting weights, it's all going to depend on where the kids fall in the weight charts.

MD...They are MD...Always finding ways to win.  Castle beat them when it counted.  And they are not going to forget that now are they?

I am curious how all this is going to shake out.

Poppa-nut,

I heard Harrison has over 30 kids in the room? If this is true what a huge advantage that is for Mark. Good Luck Warriors

Yeah, but lets see how long they last!!

You know how some of those drop off when they see the workout wrestlers do!!!!

But Yes we do have that many in there right now, lots of beginers!!

North over Memorial?! WOW....somebody's thinking upset city. Even though Memorial may be down, they find a way to get the job done. Coach Mattingly does an excellent job with that team. They will not finish behind North.

Many people are saying "this is the year for Reitz". My question is, haven't we heard that before? Reitz is always stacked, yet MD finds a way to get the job done vs Reitz. Call me old fashion, but I think MD tops Reitz again this year.

As for SIAC, this year will be no different that last year. The upsets and consolation points will be a HUGE factor in deciding the conference title. But, its still to early to say.....I want to see weights and by the end of Dec I think we can all make a bit more accurate predictions.

Yes I am because Memoiral lost wedding,dehaven,borko, and a few others. You can keep North uder the radar but they will surprise everyone this year. Dec. 3rd they wrestle and you will see what im talking about cause Memorial barley won last year with who they had.

Its a just wait and see kinda thing. North also beat Memorials JV by 50 + points, I can't wait till the turkey starts oh what fun. Good Luck to everyone this year and I hope its a injury free season for all. Good Luck to REITZ football team, bring home another state title to the SOUTH.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.