Purdue vs. Iowa @ Lowell High School January 24th

I am pleased to announce that Lowell High School will be hosting a Big Ten Dual Meet on Sunday, January 24th, 2010 between the Purdue Boilermakers and the Iowa Hawkeyes.  More info will come in the future, I just wanted to let everyone know so that can save that date on their calendar!

Coach Willmann, your work and cooperation with this meet along with the coaching staff and administration at PURDUE is to be commended! Great job, Coach!

I have advised a lot of the kids on the middle school team and in the club over the weekend and they are JACKED UP about this! They can't wait to see some of their heros in the flesh!

WAY TO GO, COACH WILLMANN!!!!

:) :) :) :)

A college dual, a big 10 dual, at a high school!!!!  That is such a joke, no wonder Indiana wrestling has zero respect!!  It's insane to have the defending national champions, a team that averages 10,000 in attendance and has set the NCAA record for attendance on several occassions to be put in a high school gym.  What will be funny is that the dual will be a quick and easy bloodbath  Purdue will be lucky to win a match! 

A college dual, a big 10 dual, at a high school!!!!  That is such a joke, no wonder Indiana wrestling has zero respect!!  It's insane to have the defending national champions, a team that averages 10,000 in attendance and has set the NCAA record for attendance on several occassions to be put in a high school gym.   What will be funny is that the dual will be a quick and easy bloodbath  Purdue will be lucky to win a match! 

It's really to bad that you look at this as a bad thing but nobody says you have to go. I'm sure the attendance will be quite good. I think Purdue should be improved and Indiana has quite a bit of respect as far as I know. ???

College programs routinely hold duals at high schools.  Just last year Purdue and Michigan State wrestled in Elkhart.  Other programs, even Iowa, have done the same thing in the past.  Two years ago Iowa wrestled a triple dual at St. Eds in Ohio with North Carolina State, Old Dominion, Findlay and Iowa Central.

I would hope the attendance would be "quite good", it's a high school gym how hard is that to fill up??!!!!  No, Indiana doesn't have much respect across the nation, could be that most of the top talent leaves the state!! 

Y2 your examples of college duals are a pretty weak argument, a dual with Michigan State, the only other Big 10 team who ends as badly as Indiana and Purdue and a 3 way in Ohio with small schools and lower division schools.  I guess that means you consider Indiana college wrestling to be at that level.

What is a shame about this is that the dual would be a great opportunity for young wrestlers and most won't see it because the high school gym will be too full.  Whatever though keep making excuses and Indiana college wrestling will stay where it is in the Big 10, at the bottom of the barrel... 

There is more seating at Lowell than there is in the gym that Purdue usually hosts duals in.  They don't host duals at Mackey Arena.

Purdue has been going to high schools across the state for many years now, this is nothing new.  Also Ohio State is doing the same thing with their dual against Edinboro this season.  This kind of stuff is done to help promote the sport, which obviously you do not agree with. 

I had a chance to attend the Purdue/Iowa match a few years ago at Mishawaka High and it was a really enjoyable event.  If I am recalling right, Harper wrestled and won a very close match.  I think Vega had a match at Portage too.  Minn vs Purdue?

It's great for kids in the area that don't normally get a chance to attend a Big Ten wrestling event.

WOW....Do us all a favor and stay off the site if you can't respect what we do in Indiana! If you think Indiana wrestling is so bad, then don't waste yours & our time on here!......Thanks Lowell for bringing such an excellent opportunity for everyone to catch an awesome experience up in Northern Indiana!!

WOW yourself, can't handle criticism don't read it...you've heard of free speech right...try getting out of the state and opening your mind a little and see what this state can do to improve instead of living in your own little world...whatever though you just enjoy...

I'm all for exposing area that do not have a college right down the road to a major NCAA wrestling meet.  The team needs to do whatever they can to draw attention to their wrestling program and this will draw many new fans that heve never watch Purdue or even a major wrestling meet before.  It will do nothing but increase interest in the college program, that college as a possible educational choice, and the sport of wrestling at all levels.   Seems like its a winning situation for the community, wrestling, and the university in general.   Plus, I don't see it really having a few meets a year like this haveing any real negative effect on anything

ksct,

An occasional positive comment or adding some useful dialog to your point may serve you better than just compaining and criticizing  in every post.  Seems like most of your point could be better if a different tact was used in every few posts.

o yay another TOOL to ruin this board....i remember Purdue wrestled Iowa at Mishawaka  Brad Harpers Sr year. Iowa won but purdue won a couple matches including Harper....the cave was packed that way to where people were standing because there were no seats around....

and yah we are no OH or PA but we are better than most states in the country no respect from you but we get respect from other people who are not AFRAID to post there name

I believe "almost" every college team in the country put on duals at local high schools. They use it as a recruiting tool and to build a community fan base. It's great for the sport, take the sport to the fans. And Y2 is correct, most larger high school gyms are bigger than where most college teams wrestle. And I'm not talkin' small programs, major D1 schools routinely average 800 to 2000 in attendance. Iowa is the exception to the rule. And as far as Indiana is concerned, alot of the coaches I have talked to have said that they are starting to look harder at Indiana due to the success of some of alumni. Escobedo, Humphries & Howe just to name a few! Hopefully, if things work out, the Spartans of MSU can hold a dual at Portage in the future! Hey, a guy can dream can't he?

I agree...looking back at his past post history, he's one negative guy. Not a good thing to say on here, but like he say's...."freedom of speech"  ........ It's just sad that he's slamming our youth and what we're trying to build here in Indiana. I can only imagine that his wrestling credentials are absolutely STUNNING......PERFECT......MAGNIFICENT.......THROUGH THE ROOF.......Not to mention by his Fargo posts, he must be a "Fashion Designer".......I mean, we don't wrestle nor dress to his caliber!!

I would hope the attendance would be "quite good", it's a high school gym how hard is that to fill up??!!!!  No, Indiana doesn't have much respect across the nation, could be that most of the top talent leaves the state!! 

Y2 your examples of college duals are a pretty weak argument, a dual with Michigan State, the only other Big 10 team who ends as badly as Indiana and Purdue and a 3 way in Ohio with small schools and lower division schools.  I guess that means you consider Indiana college wrestling to be at that level.

What is a shame about this is that the dual would be a great opportunity for young wrestlers and most won't see it because the high school gym will be too full.  Whatever though keep making excuses and Indiana college wrestling will stay where it is in the Big 10, at the bottom of the barrel...   

Some of these might be hard to fill up for most college teams Following is a list of the largest high school gyms in the USA.

State City Venue Capacity

1 Indiana New Castle New Castle Fieldhouse 9,314

2 Indiana Anderson Anderson Wigwam 8,996

3 Indiana East Chicago East Chicago Central Gym 8,296

4 Indiana Seymour Seymour High School Gym 8,110

5 Indiana Richmond Tiernan Center 8,100

6 Indiana Elkhart North Side Gymnasium 8,000

7 Arizona Chinle Wildcat Den 8,000

8 Indiana Marion Bill Green Athletic Arena 7,650

9 Texas Dallas Alfred J. Loos Fieldhouse 7,500

10 Indiana Michigan City "The Wolves' Den" Gym 7,373

11 Indiana Bedford BNL Fieldhouse 7,371

Indiana High School

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.