Top 10 Wrestling States

Boot

Well, I spent my afternoon avoiding grading lab reports by running some numbers on high school wrestling. I looked at NCAA qualifiers by state over the past couple years and found the ratio of qualifiers to population. Here are the top 10 schools, take a second to vote for your #1.

#1 - Pennsylvania

#2 - Iowa

#3 - New Jersey (May be inflated by Blair Academy)

#4 - Ohio

#5 - Illinois

#6 - Indiana

#7 - New York

#8 - Michigan

#9 - California

#10 - Florida

Thanks for taking the time to crunch the numbers. I definitely feel Pennslyvania is ahead of the rest on having the best wrestlers and the most depth at weights. I do feel Indiana is in the top 10. Not sure what it would take for us to move up, but we are making small strides.

um how about minnesota, wisconsin, oklahoma and missouri. All of those states are ahead of Indiana

I assumed as much as well, but in terms of ratio of qualifiers to population that's not the case. As with anything this should be taken with a grain of salt.

Wisconsin will be getting even better now that you're there too.

can't really base it on just college wrestling though.  Alot of the kids from up in the northern states are the ones representing us in the olympics.  In  Beijing half of the Greco team was from the state of Wisconsin.  Indiana has had some very good individuals come thru but its not a top 10 state.

can't really base it on just college wrestling though.  Alot of the kids from up in the northern states are the ones representing us in the olympics.  In  Beijing half of the Greco team was from the state of Wisconsin.  Indiana has had some very good individuals come thru but its not a top 10 state.

Maybe not Top 10, but I think Indiana is clearly in the Top 15.  Just one man's opinion though.

Wow! Talking about a guy getting ripped for doing some fun stats! He never said Indiana was technically better than the other states. He said BY POPULATION Indiana ranks higher. Wisconsin must be a crazy state that does not allow you to read all the posts through?  :-\

Minnesota has some of the best high school programs in the nation and should be included in the top 5.  The best program in the country rated was Apple Valley, MN.  So lets make sure to include them.  Wisoncsin will also be up and comming. 

Yeah, the downside of using the data I did was that it only measures folkstyle. Maybe I'll get bored sometime and compile greco, freestyle, and folkstyle all together.

Here are how the top 10 state's cadets & juniors placed in greco & freestlye at Fargo this season. Since cadets & juniors are high school age I thought this might be be something to add to the discussion.

Cadet Greco Team Places by State

1. Wisconsin - 61.00

2. Minnesota - 58.00

3. Illinois - 57.00

4. California - 35.00

5. Michigan - 31.00

6. Pennsylvania - 31.00

7. Iowa - 26.00

8. Virginia - 25.00

9. New Jersey - 21.00

10. Colorado - 18.00

Junior Greco Team Places by State

1. Illinois - 71.00

2. Florida - 48.00

3. Minnesota - 41.00

4. California - 37.00

5. Arizona - 36.00

6. Pennsylvania - 25.00

7. Wisconsin - 22.00

8. Oregon - 21.00

9. Washington - 20.00

10. Utah - 19.00

Cadet Freestyle Team Places by State

1. Illinois - 85.00

2. Pennsylvania - 69.00

3. Ohio - 58.00

4. Iowa - 53.00

5. Minnesota - 48.00

6. Michigan - 39.00

7. California - 30.00

8. Missouri - 27.00

9. New Jersey - 26.00

10. Wisconsin - 22.00

Junior Freestyle Team Places by State

1. Pennsylvania - 71.00

2. Minnesota - 48.00

3. Illinois - 39.00

4. California - 29.00

5. Missouri - 28.00

6. New Jersey - 28.00

7. Iowa - 27.00

8. Washington - 24.00

9. Wisconsin - 23.00

10. Ohio - 21.00

um how about minnesota, wisconsin, oklahoma and missouri. All of those states are ahead of Indiana

Based on the stats I posted about cadets & juniors I would say Wisconsin & Minnesota both should be on the top 10 list.

Minnesota has some of the best high school programs in the nation and should be included in the top 5.  The best program in the country rated was Apple Valley, MN.  So lets make sure to include them.   Wisoncsin will also be up and comming.  

Helps that the guy connectioned with the site that did the Apple Velley rating had a slight connection to that area program too.  That because a big controversy with the other supporters of some of the other major wrestling teams.  However, I would say they are probably the best public school in the nation (though some complain about their move-in issues too).    Even if not #1 overall they are still one of the best in the nation and Wisconsin has some other very good teams too.  

But, I feel a good rating of the top 10 states would be based off if the overall quality of the state not just a few top teams or individuals they produce.  The state over all ability though is a much harder statistics to determine and rate against other states.

Minnesota has some of the best high school programs in the nation and should be included in the top 5.  The best program in the country rated was Apple Valley, MN.  So lets make sure to include them.  Wisoncsin will also be up and comming. 

Helps that the guy connectioned with the site that did the Apple Velley rating had a slight connection to that area program too.  That because a big controversy with the other supporters of some of the other major wrestling teams.  However, I would say they are probably the best public school in the nation (though some complain about their move-in issues too).    Even if not #1 overall they are still one of the best in the nation and Wisconsin has some other very good teams too. 

But, I feel a good rating of the top 10 states would be based off if the overall quality of the state not just a few top teams or individuals they produce.  The state over all ability though is a much harder statistics to determine and rate against other states.

And that's why I based it off of college success. A wrestler who is only successful in freestyle, or only successful in greco, or only successful in folkstyle might not be successful against someone who is top 5 or 10 in all areas. In the future I'll try to get a ranking that takes all areas in to account, and if the data exists DII and DIII, which also have some great talent.

None of the Greco team in Beijing was from Wisconsin....it's possible a few of them might have had a layover in Milwaukee on their way to or from a competion or maybe one or two are Packer fan...but none of them are born and bred cheeseheads.

Tim Spray (since we are using full names?)...it was nothing against you...just havent heard from you in awhile and won't get to see your enthusiasm for coaching this year, so I had to hear some enthusiasm from ya before the year starts...just fun and games...if you read other posts (in different subjects) I give you and Pioneer plenty of credit...I think you are a great coach and helped IN in multiple ways! Hope Wisconsin is goin well...Go Bears!

I hate wisconsin as a state its too cold ... whole month of june was 60 degrees

Exactly why I turned down their grad school offer, I went and visited in January. What took you up there anyway, I never heard?

My wife is from Wisconsin rapids Wi. She wanted to get closer to her family, she has a brother that is handicap and doesn't have long to live.  So here we are:) it is in the 70's today lol.

Something isn't right there, it was 53 this morning. Will you still be lending your expertise on the mat?

I wrestled for Benton Central by the way and I had always assumed Pioneer was a bigger school than us based on the quality of wrestlers. I hope whoever has taken over the team keeps up the tradition.

• 6 months later...

Whenever there is a dual meet called USA vs. Pennsylvania - I would suggest PA is pretty tough.  This was my thinking when I cam e out of H.S.  I was ranked third in the country and had scholarship offers to a variety of Big 10 and Big 12 schools, but chose to wrestle in the EWL strictly because I was in Pennsylvania.  The knowledge, connections and expertise that I accumulated while there is absolutely priceless.  PA is the wrestling state for sure.  I would say California is second, followed by other strong states such as FL, OK, IL, IA, MI, etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.