TUF 9

Drooke

It's still growing over there, but the short stocky kid, and Winner, and the kid with the sick heel hook looked decent. The preview for the USA looked just as dissapointing with the fainting and not being able to cut the weight. How do you sign up for something like that and not commit?

It's still growing over there, but the short stocky kid, and Winner, and the kid with the sick heel hook looked decent. The preview for the USA looked just as dissapointing with the fainting and not being able to cut the weight. How do you sign up for something like that and not commit?

Honestly, I think they are trying to pump up the UK and downplay the US because they want it to seem more even than it probably is.  Time will tell.

Episode No. 2 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter: U.S. vs. U.K."

by John Morgan on Apr 08, 2009 at 9:55 pm ET

After a quick review of last week's U.K.-based events, UFC President Dana White opens the episode by welcoming the show back to Las Vegas.

White admits he was impressed with the effort of Team U.K., and explains how Dan Henderson, by virtue of defeating Rich Franklin at UFC 93, has become the Team U.S. coach.

White also said he hopes for the best from the U.S. fighters - something we know will not be the case based on the previews from the previous episode.

The fighters have already gathered at the UFC Training Center, and Henderson gathers as much enthusiasm as humanly possible to express his excitement at the opportunity to once again represent his country. As a former Olympian, Henderson said his goals for the season are simple: "Beat the hell out of the U.K. guys."

As the fighters line up in the gym to receive their instructions, welterweight Jason Pierce's eyes roll back in his head as he drops to the floor.

Aware of now becoming "that guy," Pierce tries to explain what transpired - sort of. "I just got hot and light-headed," Pierce said. "I've never had that happen.

Aware that cutting weight probably contributed to Pierce's fall, White immediately questions where the welterweight stood in regards to the 170-pound class. Pierce insisted he was 169 pounds, and that he was cutting down from "like [180]."

White doesn't buy the statistics.

"I really couldn't tell you what happened. I just kind of fell asleep," Pierce says.

The next Team U.S. setback comes in the medical evaluation process, as John-David Shackelford is sporting a sizable lesion on his forehead.

White is forced to deliver the bad news in his best Dr. Johnny Benjamin moment.

"You have a Herpes legion on your forehead that's contagious," White said. "You can not be here in the house with these other guys. So I'm sorry, but thanks for trying."

It's a disappointing moment for Shackelford, but for a guy that's fought Dustin Hazelett, Edson Berto and Bart Palaszewski in a four-fight career, you have to believe he's used to bad luck.

It's a rough start for Team U.S., but White lets us know there's more to come. Welterweight Christian Fulgium, who has shown up the the taping well overweight, is outside the training center, pedaling away on a stationary bike while wearing a sweatsuit.

Fulgium explains what he thought would be another "routine weight cut" has turned into dizziness and back pains. Fulgium is told that he has 40 minutes to cut two additional pounds or be released, but the welterweight explains he has ceased to sweat.

Henderson tries to assist in the cutting process, putting Fulgium on the treadmill. After asking for a bucket in which to vomit, Fulgium collapses on the treadmill. White can't believe how the events are playing out.

"It's so [expletive] ridiculous that these guys don't show up on weight," White says. "It's season nine, mother[expletive]. Season nine. If you don't know what the [expletive] goes on on this show by now, I don't even know what to tell you.

"You come to this show, you fight your way into the house, you fight throughout the season to see if you make it to the finale to become the next ultimate fighter. What do you not [expletive] understand about that?"

White close the speech with a wide-eyed inquisitive look that is sure to find its way to internet parodies for years to come.

White makes no attempt to hide his displeasure, and we learn that Fulgium was indeed unable to make weight. White lets him know it's a moment he's going to regret for the rest of his life before letting him know that a car is waiting outside to take him back home.

With Fulgium and Shackelford already gone, the episode will carry on with just six elimination bouts. White warns the two fighters left without opponents not to be comfortable - new foes will be on the way.

White also offers an early evaluation of the U.S. chances: "From what I've seen, the Brits might kick the [expletive] out of these guys."

With the early drama over, we're finally down to in-cage action.

Kevin Knabjian vs. Mark Miller

The first U.S. welterweight elimination bout featured training partners Kevin Knabjian and Mark Miller squaring off. Neither fighter seems very keen on the idea of fighting teach other his early in the competition, though each understand it's a necessary evil.

A few knowing glances are exchanged before the start of the contest, and the two touch gloves and get underway.

Knabjian looks a bit stiff and defensive to open. Miller takes the role of aggressor, mixing impressive combinations of punches with a few kicks for good measure. Several of the punches connect, and Knabjian responds in kind, though only in minimal spurts.

The fight is never close to ending in the opening round, but it's clear that Miller has earned the frame. As Knabjian walks dejectedly to his corner, Henderson comments, "He still doesn't look like he's excited to fight his friend."

Knabjian is coached between rounds to let his hands go, something either the pressure of fighting for a UFC contract or the uneasiness of facing a friend has prevented him from doing.

Knabjian opens far more aggressive in the second, and a three punch combo drops Miller. Knabjian follows to the ground, initially dropping punches, but then elected to drop for a heel hook. Miller rolls with the move and escapes, returning to his feet.

Miller returns to his first-round form, popping jabs and scoring up the middle with an ominous uppercut. Knabjian's hand positioning seems to invite the blow, and Miller obliges. A second, stunning uppercut connects squarely, echoes in the training center, and puts Knabjian on the run.

Miller chases him down, delivering several unanswered blows from the feet. Knabjian is taking quite a bit of damage, though remains standing. A left hand that seems more of a push than a strike puts Knabjian on the ground, but referee Steve Mazzagatti rushes in to halt the contest.

Knabjian immediately offers his objections, but the strikes were landing flush. A dejected Knabjian brushes Miller's condolences away, much to White's amusement.

Miller admits it's difficult to face a friend in such an important situation.

"It really sucks because me and Kevin are training partners and good friends," Miller says. "It's hard to even be happy for the victory.

"I pictured me and him going through it together, keeping each other sane and hanging out. It just sucks to have to see him go.

With eyes full of tears, Knabjian delivers a devastating right hand to Chuck Liddell's liver ? well, a picture of Liddell in the locker room. But it does put a hole in the wall.

Paul Bird vs. Richie Whitson

Next up is lightweight Richie Whitson, fighting out Henderson's own Team Quest in Temecula, Calif., and Paul Bird.

White immediately points out Whitson's resemblance to skateboarding and snowboarding ace Shaun White. Meanwhile, Bird sports a more "postal" type demeanor that is immediately confirmed by his first words.

"When that cage door closes, that's freedom to me," Bird says. "I get to do whatever I want, legally, to another human being. That's the best feeling in the world."

Then Bird offers his best B.J. Penn impression.

"I'm going to put myself on the map," Bird says. "This is my time to shine. I punch hard, I kick hard and I fight to the death. I'm going to kill this mother[expletive]."

The two trade a few feeling-out blows before Bird shoots in. Whitson scrambles back to his feet, but Bird jumps to his opponent's back. He aims too high and slides off the top of a leaning Whitson.

Bird is relentless, and he jumps right back to Whitson's back. Unable to secure a choke, he drops Whitson to the floor again. What the X-Games-look-alike will not stay down, and the two are again toe to toe.

Both fighters trade wild blows, and as Whitson starts to score, Bird reverts to his wrestling. A trip attempt goes wrong, and Whitson ends up on top. A steady stream of punches and elbows from the top follows, and Bird rolls to avoid the blows.

As Bird turtles, Whitson continues to bring a steady stream of shots. Whitson eventually sinks his hooks in, secures the rear-naked choke, rolls his opponent and forces the tap at 3:10 of the first round.

White is pleased with the performance.

"Shaun White can fight," White says. "He beat the [expletive] out of him."

Santino Defranco vs. Waylon Lowe

Next up is lightweights Santino Defranco and Waylon Lowe. And while Lowe seems focused, White immediately informs us that Defranco is a special story.

"Santino Defranco, this is actually his second run at 'The Ultimate Fighter,'" White says. "He tried out for season two and made it. And during the medicals we found out that he had a brain aneurysm. He had surgery, got the brain aneurysm taken care of.

"I just think it's pretty amazing that this kid is back and 100 percent healthy for season nine."

Indeed.

White politely points out to Henderson that Lowe's belly-button encapsulating tattoo is similar to what a chick would do, and we're underway.

Lowe immediately works the fight to the floor, and Defranco pulls guard. Lowe works from the position to deliver a variety of ground-and-pound efforts. None are overly damaging, but the fighters remain in the same position for four-and-a-half minutes.

Defranco covers his face, but there is little effort to escape or retaliate. Lowe's corner indicates they feel Defranco is almost done, and Mazzagatti tells him to fight back. The only thing keeping the bout from being stopped is the lack of firm connection by Lowe. Miraculously, Defranco makes it through the round. But when he is slow to rise, White's face appears concerned. Considering Defranco's past medical condition, it seems a fair concern.

Defranco mopes in his corner while Lowe predicts his opponent is ready to pack it in.

Round two opens, and as Lowe shoots Defranco lands a perfectly timed right knee to the jaw. Lowe fights through the blow, but Defranceo throws him to the mat.

Defranco takes top position, and Lowe rolls. The inevitable rear-naked choke follows, and Lowe is trapped. Lowe taps 45 seconds into the round, securing the improbable comeback for Defranco.

White is pleased with the result and pleased with the character shown from the two-time "TUF" contestant.

Steve Berger vs. Jason Pierce

Welterweights Steve Berger and Pierce are reduced to a highlight package, but we do learn that Berger is a long-time acquaintance of White.

As White narrates, Pierce drops Berger with a punch and works to the back. That was apparently the only notable action in the opening frame.

In the second frame, White tells us that Berger passes Pierce's guard, but that he is unable to do anything with the position.

The third round, as White says, "isn't any more impressive than the first two rounds." Regardless, Jason Pierce is awarded the unanimous-decision victory. For the second season in a row, feinting leads to victory.

Cameron Dollar vs. Tom Hayden

Lightweights Cameron Dollar and Tom Hayden also get the highlight treatment.

As White narrates, Hayden takes the fight immediately to the floor and pounds away on Dollar for the first round.

The second round begins the same, but the wildly coifed Dollar slips out from underneath Hayden and takes his back. From there, Dollar quickly chokes Hayden unconscious with a rear-naked choke.

Ray Elbe vs. Damarques Johnson

Next up is welterweight Damarques Johnson, who says he plans on "smiling my way through it," and Ray Elbe.

Johnson says he's "here to get paid and hurt people's feelings. It's time to do the man dance." Parents everywhere hide their children's eyes.

Elbe brings an air of confidence to the cage. Fighting out of Phuket, Thailand, Elbe's striking game is sure to be sharp. Just to be certain, Elbe assures us he did not fly to Las Vegas for the $4.99 steak and eggs buffet.

A dramatically filmed Team U.S. door slowly opening to reveal a U.S. flag on the locker room wall sets the tone for the evening's final fight. OK, it's a little cheesy.

Elbe assumes a traditional Thai stance, throwing front low kicks to keep Johnson at bay. Johnson answers with quick hands to the face. Elbe's slapping leg kicks impress a few ringside observers, but the power doesn't seem to affect Johnson.

Johnson's hands continue to score, and Elbe shoots in weakly, falling backward in the process and finding himself immediately mounted. Johnson begins to drop heavy elbows and punches from the top. The blows cut Elbe, and the blood starts to flow. Heavier blows find their mark, and Elbe tries to buck and roll. The effort is unsuccessful, and the bout is mercifully stopped at 3:10 of the opening frame.

Henderson admits he's cautiously optimistic, having only six of his eight members determined.

Kiel Reid and Jason Dent learn who their replacement opponents will be: Rob Browning (yep, Junie's little brother) and Frank Lester, respectively. Those two elimination fights will begin episode three.

Henderson admits he's a little concerned to be coaching Junie Browning's little brother, but White (after saying 'Rob is apparently Junie's little brother' - come one, we're supposed to believe he wasn't sure?) advises us that we can not blame Rob for the sins of Junie.

Of course, in the preview for upcoming shows, we see Browning smashing eggs on a housemate and learn Rob will be capable of his own sins. It's going to be, ahem, fun.

TEAM U.S. WELTERWEIGHT ELIMINATION BOUTS

Mark Miller def. Kevin Knabjian via TKO (punches) - Round 2, 1:59

Jason Pierce def. Steve Berger via decision in sudden victory round

Damarques Johnson def. Ray Elbe via TKO (punches) - Round 1, 3:10

Kiel Reid vs. Frank Lester

TEAM U.S. LIGHTWEIGHT ELIMINATION BOUTS

Richie Whitson def. Paul Bird via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 1, 3:10

Santino Defranco def. Waylon Lowe via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 2, 0:45

Cameron Dollar def. Tom Hayden via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 2

Jason Dent vs. Rob Browning

The show certainly didn't make the U.S. fighters look very good. I, personally, wasn't impressed with the Brits last week but after watching team USA last night, the Brits could walk away with the competition.

I knew Y2 would have something to say about the Lowe fight! It's obvious DeFranco is an early favorite in the mind of Dana, maybe that had an affect on Mazzy not stopping the fight?

Is there any question about Little Browning winning next week? Half of the season highlights featured him! Looks like he acts just like Junie.

Mazzagati should have stopped the Lowe fight, he let Santino lay and get punched for four straight minutes.

Thank you! I was screaming at the TV during that fight, and it goes to show that Mazzagatti is the worst ref in the business. He's going to get somebody killed some day.  I can't believe there isn't a huge stink about that lack of a stoppage. Lowe pounded his head for literally an entire round and Santino didn't budge or make even a minimal attempt to escape. I'm stunned by what a terrible decision that was.

Of course, he was already a well-known joke in the MMA community, as evidenced by the Lesnar/Mir fight and countless other fights that he waited way too long to stop.

Here's a snippet of an interview with UFC prez Jazz Boxer White.

"White then goes into greater detail over the control fighters have over who refs their fights:

?I?m going to tell the fighters they can turn down referees and it?s in their hands if they want a ref who may end up getting them hurt in a match,? said White, who noted that both Anthony Johnson and Randy Couture have turned down Mazzagatti to officiate recent matches when assigned."

Is there any question about Little Browning winning next week? Half of the season highlights featured him! Looks like he acts just like Junie.

Why wouldn't he act just like that.  It got Junie more TV time and even got him onto two different televised cards.

It appeared to me as though mazzagatti oncew again endagered another fighter. That fellow knocked himself out cold. Mazz wasn't in position to see it but the camerman sure was. After the fight I thought the winner showed zer0 class with the neck slitting and other antics. I will be rooting against him for sure. 

It appeared to me as though mazzagatti oncew again endagered another fighter. That fellow knocked himself out cold. Mazz wasn't in position to see it but the camerman sure was. After the fight I thought the winner showed zer0 class with the neck slitting and other antics. I will be rooting against him for sure. 

Your arm isn't ment to bend like that. I could figure out why he wasn't tapping! I'm pulling for the carrot top looking guy, and ross from UK

I'm a big fan of "shaun white" as well.

As far as lil browning goes.  He was small for the weight  (155).

He said all of his fights were at 135 and when he got whipped he told Dana he can't wait to get back to 135.

I'm not defending his actions..............just saying he was very undersized and only got on the show because of his brothers antics which he tried to emulate.  It worked for Junie.