To: The General's Dad

Y2CJ41

Since I promised this data and you probably wouldn't see it in the topic, here it is.

Schools  Students    Per School    #Big Schools  # Small Schools

Merrillville... 74... 76630.... 1035.54... 40... 34

Fort Wayne..77... 64127... 832.82... 31... 46

Evansville ...86...74628....... 867.77... 53... 33

New Castle..74... 90576... 1224.00... 28... 46

This is the semi-state breakdown by schools and students.  The Fort Wayne semi-state actually has 10K less than Evansville.

Y2 your data shows that the average for NC is 1224 but that they have more small schools than big. I have two questions that I would like to ask you. 1) what is the cut off line for a big/small school? 2) out of all the qualifiers from NC how many were from small schools?

New Castle has many of the "mega" schools in Indiana.  In the top 10 schools, New Castle is represented by the top four along with #7 and #8.

1. The cut-off is 741 students.  That is where there is an even distribution of schools. 

http://garrettwrestling.com/proof2008.html

2. Just a quick look I saw 9 state qualifiers from small schools out of 56 or 16%.

The mega schools have changed arround from year to year just because the past fw have been likethis doesn't mean it will forever be like that.  Success use to go through evansville.

The mega schools being referred to are the huge enrollment schools largely in the Indy metro area.

The mega schools have changed arround from year to year just because the past fw have been likethis doesn't mean it will forever be like that.  Success use to go through evansville.

The mega schools being referred to are the huge enrollment schools largely in the Indy metro area.

I would think that schools like Warren, Carmel, Ben Davis, North Central will always count as mega schools, with both Lawrence North, and Central right behind, and Pike not far behind them. These schools will always be over 2000 students, with WC Car. and BD and NC up around 4000 per year.

It is these schools that tend to skew the data as far as the per school mean average. I would think the median average for all semi-states would be much closer.

And no, I dont care to do the recearch to prove that.

I used the sectional lineup that was listed on the IHSAA website.

What sectional was New Harmony assigned to? They do not have a wrestling team and as far as I know they have never had a wrestling team.

I  honestly have no clue how they got on the list.  They weren't listed on the sectional rosters for any of the previous years.  The newest update to the statistics for the past four years however does not have New Harmony listed.  You can see them at the link provided.

http://garrettwrestling.com/proof2009.html

Since I promised this data and you probably wouldn't see it in the topic, here it is.

Schools   Students     Per School     #Big Schools  # Small Schools

Merrillville... 74... 76630.... 1035.54... 40... 34

Fort Wayne..77... 64127... 832.82... 31... 46

Evansville ...86...74628....... 867.77... 53... 33

New Castle..74... 90576... 1224.00... 28... 46

This is the semi-state breakdown by schools and students.  The Fort Wayne semi-state actually has 10K less than Evansville.

So according to your statistics the FW semi-state is you guys have an advantage as a small school to get your wrestler to semi-state right because there are allot more small school and New Castle has the most so they should always have the most individual champs right or Evansville Because they have bigger schools?.......yes you can look at the numbers and make a case but looking to deep into something and trying to back you opinion with numbers doesnt make it RIGHT.......not saying i am right either! You have you opinion and I have mine!

So according to your statistics the FW semi-state is you guys have an advantage as a small school to get your wrestler to semi-state right because there are allot more small school

Yes currently we do for two big reasons.  The first is the big mega schools right now, Snider, Northrop, South Side, etc in Fort Wayne with by far some of the most talented athletes are way down.  Secondly, as a general rule we are wrestling against teams and individuals that come from very similar types of schools.  So in essence the playing field is a little more level. 

and New Castle has the most so they should always have the most individual champs right or Evansville Because they have bigger schools?

Probably the area with the greatest population of students, which would be New Castle.

.......yes you can look at the numbers and make a case but looking to deep into something and trying to back you opinion with numbers doesnt make it RIGHT.......not saying i am right either! You have you opinion and I have mine!

I agree, I just was putting those up for General's Dad because he said something about it in an earlier post.

So according to your statistics the FW semi-state is you guys have an advantage as a small school to get your wrestler to semi-state right because there are allot more small school and New Castle has the most so they should always have the most individual champs right or Evansville Because they have bigger schools?.......yes you can look at the numbers and make a case but looking to deep into something and trying to back you opinion with numbers doesnt make it RIGHT.......not saying i am right either! You have you opinion and I have mine!

What are you trying to say in this post?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.