Some ideas to consider for the future

NickS

I got the impression that interest on the site took a nose dive as soon as Individual State was over.  Maybe Y2 can confirm if this is actually the case or not but I digress.  Assuming that this is true and that there's a correlation with interested from the Indiana wrestling community.  Would it be beneficial to move the Team State series before the Individual State series?  I know there are some hickups like how to qualify teams.  But in theory, would it be better or worse?

Another idea I'd like to throw out there was doubling the number of State Finalists.  I know wrestlebacks gets proposed everytime and it gets shut down everytime.  Has expanding the State Finals ever been proposed?

There will always be a lull in interest after the state finals are over.  The individual finals had 80+ teams represented, so you had those coaches, wrestlers and fans on the board wanting information and such.  The team state finals only had eight teams competing so less fans were interested in the sport.  We had a great run during the state tournament series as far as visitors and participation on the board.  Its hard to fathom how quickly this site grew in a short period of time. 

Some things we will be doing in the next few weeks include interviews with the three IHSWCA Vice Presidential candidates, coverage of the NCAA tournament and season ending awards. 

There will always be a lull in interest after the state finals are over.  The individual finals had 80+ teams represented, so you had those coaches, wrestlers and fans on the board wanting information and such.  The team state finals only had eight teams competing so less fans were interested in the sport.  We had a great run during the state tournament series as far as visitors and participation on the board.  Its hard to fathom how quickly this site grew in a short period of time. 

Some things we will be doing in the next few weeks include interviews with the three IHSWCA Vice Presidential candidates, coverage of the NCAA tournament and season ending awards. 

That's why I think it would be in our best interest to move Team State prior to Individual State.  By the time Individual's over, majority of the wrestling community is ready to pack it in.  If wrestled prior to Individual's, I think Team State would have more interest because all of the wrestling community would still be in "season mode."

That's why I think it would be in our best interest to move Team State prior to Individual State.  By the time Individual's over, majority of the wrestling community is ready to pack it in.  If wrestled prior to Individual's, I think Team State would have more interest because all of the wrestling community would still be in "season mode."

If anything the whole thing should be moved to the end of the season so as to avoid injury.  Either that, or get rid of it altogether, IMO.

If anything the whole thing should be moved to the end of the season so as to avoid injury.  Either that, or get rid of it altogether, IMO.

How does a wrestler avoid injury by moving the whole thing to the end of the season?  Wrestlers aren't  susceptible to injuries during the regular season, sectionals, regionals, or semi-state?

As for your comment suggesting get rid of it... umm wow.  I take it you've never been to team state, or maybe team regionals for that matter.

I would say if there was a way to do it, moving it to before the Ind.  tourney. I wonder how hard it is for a senior that gets beat at sectionals to make weight. Yes I get the do it for the team part of it, but that would have to suck for the kid if that happened. Not sure how oftewn it happens, but as far as arguements for moving it, that is the only one I like so far. Then again, it is my point, so I should like it......

Some states do run their team side of things before the individuals, which isn't totally a bad idea.  The major concern is, EVERY team couldn't schedule a meet for the week(s) that the state series would be running in case they do make a deep run.  In North Carolina they do it this way and many teams leave two schedule points open in case they don't make the play-offs in order to get a match or two in, so they aren't off two straight weeks.

I would like to see the team portion before the Individual as well.  I think you could realisticlly combine Sectionals and Regionals into one weekend.  I don't have specifics to my theory here, but think it could be done.  Wrestlebacks included, not full but at least from possiblly quarterfinals on.  I would say eliminate the individual scoring to determine the team sectional champ(natlchamp2005 should like the sound of this!), and have the team portion the two weeks prior to the individual portion.  Again I don't have specifics, but think if we sat down could come up with someting. 

Here are a couple scenarios you could do.

1)  Conference Champions qualify for the team event.  A problem I see with this is that every team may not be affiliated with a conference.  On top of that, each conference may run their tournaments differently.

2) A separate Team Sectional and have it span over 1 week.  Saturday - Team Sectionals, Wednesday -  Team Regionals, and then next Saturday - Team State.  The issue I have with this is that there's alot of wrestling being crammed into 1 week.  But on the other hand, if you span it over 2 weeks.  It wouldn't be really fair to make the teams that don't advance wait 2 whole weeks to wrestle Individual Sectionals.

y2,

Just a thought for the solution to the final 2 weeks.  Maybe a few teams can get together and have a tourney that maybe rotates depending on who advances during the team portion, or get an additional point for an extra mactch or tourney for those that do not advance past the Sectionals.  Some teams may welcome a couple weeks to get wrestlers that are injuried a little bit more healthy.

wcs145,

I say a one and a half week span.  Use the current set up dividing the Sectionals.  I do not think there is Sectional with more than 12 teams...that is no more than two rat tail match-ups that can take place on Wednesday.  8 Team format on Saturday.....Semi-State with current format on Wednesday....Team State on Saturday where Sectionals once was.  Now the draw may be the problem, however I think it can be overlooked becasue regardless of where they meet the best team should come out of the Sectional.

y2,

Just a thought for the solution to the final 2 weeks.  Maybe a few teams can get together and have a tourney that maybe rotates depending on who advances during the team portion, or get an additional point for an extra mactch or tourney for those that do not advance past the Sectionals.   Some teams may welcome a couple weeks to get wrestlers that are injuried a little bit more healthy.

That is what teams in North Carolina do, but you have to think logistically in terms of athletic directors and the IHSAA.  There is no way the IHSAA is going to do something way different just for wrestling.  Secondly, athletic directors don't want to have to scramble to fill a schedule with a meet then on top of that search for referees and workers for that meet all at the last second.

As for your comment suggesting get rid of it... umm wow. I take it you've never been to team state, or maybe team regionals for that matter.

You are right. I've never been to any team state event. I know that they are well attended and grow interest in the sport and getting rid of it is an impossibility. I just view wrestling as the ultimate individual contest and I'd hate to see a kids dream of an individul state berth or state placement get derailed becasue of an injury during team competition. Again, my opinion.

boo hoo with the injury thing you risk injury during the regular season we should get rid of that too, or just hold it after state. and offseason wrestling thats the biggest risk of all....

boo hoo with the injury thing you risk injury during the regular season we should get rid of that too, or just hold it after state. and offseason wrestling thats the biggest risk of all....

You have captured my mood perfectly.  Tears were streaming down my cheeks as I was typing that post.  I understand you're from Mishawaka and you will forever adore the team competition but so few of the schools in the state actually have a chance that, to me, it holds very little true significance.  Tears are splashing on the keyboard as I type this post, just so you know.

Tennessee also holds Team State Dual Championships before Individuals.Wrestlers on teams that don't qualify for Team Dual Championships are more likely to stay ready for Individual state tourny, than kids that are dropping off because their team won't make it to state.Having the dual championships before indivduals isn't perfect either,there is a chance at being injured at duals and not making it to state for that shot at a state title. There are always mysterious injuries that keep ranked kids from wrestling each other in the state duals to save there rankings or seed for individual state brackets.Not to be harsh but todays kids don't have the team first attitude and focas more on individual titles.If a kids chance at individual state is over your probably not getting their best efforts for team state duals.Before you jump on me about my last statement let me say not all kids are that way, most(especially good wrestlers) give their best all the time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.